• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bite Club: NYC Dinner Club

Nina C.

• 2 months later...

hey Daniel - I was wondering if you're the guy I met at Ottomanelli's a few weeks ago... I was the guy in the Thai Tshirt ordering the squab and the foie... we talked about Rhong Tiam (where you were headed for lunch)...

If you are that guy - what did you think of Rhong Tiam? I take it from the thread that you've found a new space for NYBC? My wife and I would be interested in joining - anything I should know about? I checked out the info on the website (pretty cool) but didn't see any info on pricing...

If you're not that guy, this message will self-destruct in 30 seconds... have a nice day!

Ken

Just wanted to mention.. We are so fortunate to have sold out the 8th and 9th. We were able to open up one more weekend.. We are now accepting reservations for the 15th and 16th. This will be the last dinner of the year..

Thank you for coming it was such a pleasure meeting you all. You guys came to the first dinner in the new space.. I really love the location.. The last spot we were in was this big loft that had a shady unfinished hallway and a series of locked doors that needed to be open.. Also an elevator that locked and a few lunatic neighbors.

This space has a really nice homey feel and its pretty huge.. Very excited we can now BBQ and Smoke Foods too.. Havent heard any complaints from any of the neighbors or anything, so hopefully we will continue here.

Edited by Daniel (log)

Here are a couple of photos I managed to snap during the madness.. One of the waitresses asked me if it was ok for someone to snap photos.. I said ok as long as there is no flash.. I am hoping to see a review somewhere online.

Venison progression:

3025160733_eb60aa5cf9_m.jpg

We used a rub of espresso beans, salt, pepper and juniper berries..

3025990472_5070fea00c_m.jpg

Then tie it:

3025159493_1969b38fc0.jpg

These are the beet raviolis on the back deck: We roll these guys out to a 6.. Its really scary watching them and praying they dont bleed through the super fine dough.

3025991606_a08859c424.jpg

Saturday we are sold out but, we have 4 spots for Sunday. Here is Sunday's Menu..

Then we get to relax until New Years Eve:

Bisson Prosecco Colli dei Trevegiano

Chef’s Amuse

Cauliflower

cauliflower cream flan, sturgeon caviar, dill

2007 Domaine de Closel Savenniere "La Jealosie"

Egg

poached duck egg, crisp shitakes, truffle toast mushroom jus

2006 Domaine de la Chappelle des Bois Fleurie

Ravioli

sweet potato, honey crisp apple, candied pecans, beurre mont

2006 Cantina Tramin Pinot Noir

Pork

fall spice brined loin, belly, wild rice, lardo, jus

2007 Saint Cosme Cotes Du Rhone

Cheese

Capra Sarda – Raw Goat, Logudoro, Italy, Aged 4 Months

Tomme Crayeuse – Raw Cow, Rhone Alps, France, Aged 60-90 Days

NIsa – Raw Sheep, Alentejo, Portugal, Aged 45-70 Days

Garrotxa – Raw Goat, Catalonia, Spain 60-90 Days

2007 Cantina Tramin Gewurztraminer

Cheesecake

maple mascarpone cream, gingersnap, maple caramel

ginger cocktail

I think there also might be another Foie Nutter Butter thrown in there somewhere. Not sure but, those feckers were really good. Also a surprise course on top of the surprise course.

Edited by Daniel (log)

As mentioned above...we attended last Saturday and had a great time, great food! Good people.

For anyone who hasn't yet gone, it is all that's cracked up to be. The dishes are really refined...I say that not comparing them to a home-cook but comparing them to most any 3 or 4 star restaurant.

Made me dig out my plastic bear trap never-thought-id-use it ravioli maker.

I may be biased by my love for the chefs, but I think I can fairly say that my dinner at Bite Club was truly excellent last night. Since my first dinner there just after they opened, D & A have truly developed their style and refined their technique. The portions were spot on, the dishes were hearty and wintery without being too heavy, and the atmosphere (a townhouse on the UWS) was beautiful.

I don't have a copy of the menu, but the dishes included an amuse of apple squash soup with a foie-reo (peanut butter cookie with foie gras filling); cauliflower flan with caviar; slow cooked duck egg with shitake mushrooms; pumpkin ravioli with toasted pecans and apple; pork loin (perfectly charred) with wild rice and pork belly with onion slaw; cheese plate include tomme de crayeuse, garroxta, nisa and others I'm forgetting; and a grape soup with yogurt sorbet.

Even though I don't generally go in for dessert, this was a burst of childhood in dessert form. Really delicious. The slow cooked duck egg was perfectly cooked- maintaining a bit of viscosity with luscious richness to it. The cauliflower flan (which I had on my first visit) benefitted from a significant dose of caviar. It had struck me as rich and bland on my first visit, but the saline burst added the necessary texture and saltiness that balanced the dish out. Those foie gras cookies could definitely be packaged and sold in sets of 6- yum! The filling of the pumpkin ravioli was aggressive with nutmeg, distinguishing it from many similar restaurant dishes. For me that dish still lingered as being a bit too sweet for my taste, though. I wanted a bit of parmesan or pecorino shaved on top to cut the sweetness of the candied pecans and pumpkin filling. Given that my taste is WAY in the savory camp, though, I think others might disagree. All in all, a really wonderful and balanced meal.

The wines were much more adeptly paired than on my first visit and also excellent wines in and of themselves. I'll leave it to Daniel to post them if he wishes, because I wasn't taking any notes.

• 4 weeks later...
As mentioned above...we attended last Saturday and had a great time, great food! Good people.

For anyone who hasn't yet gone, it is all that's cracked up to be. The dishes are really refined...I say that not comparing them to a home-cook but comparing them to most any 3 or 4 star restaurant.

Made me dig out my plastic bear trap never-thought-id-use it ravioli maker.

I SO aspire to share one of those wonderful evenings with some of my favorite people, if only through the "bear trap." :raz:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Looks like there was second visit..

http://lingeredupon.blogspot.com/

I was there that same night. They haven't missed a beat: the food is delicious as ever, and the whole experience a lot of fun. If any eGulleters in the area haven't been yet, definitely think about signing yourselves up for an upcoming night. Very nice to have them back!

Looks like there was second visit..

http://lingeredupon.blogspot.com/

I was there that same night. They haven't missed a beat: the food is delicious as ever, and the whole experience a lot of fun. If any eGulleters in the area haven't been yet, definitely think about signing yourselves up for an upcoming night. Very nice to have them back!

how do i sign up?