• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

That's Disgusting!

SheenaGreena

When I was in cooking school, I had great fun pushing my classmates' buttons in just that very way.  We were debating the merits of organ meats one day, during a break (me in favour, everyone else opposed), when I got onto the subject of liver.

"Best part of most animals, when it's cooked properly," I pontificated, "take seal, for example...the old-timers are all about the flipper pie, but I'll take a big plate of seal liver anytime."

This, as I knew it would, provoked a mighty burst of outrage from my classmates, especially the younger female ones (y'know they're thinking about baby whitecoats, not big adults which are essentially 400-lb Rottweilers with short legs).  Eventually one of the braver souls piped up and asked me what seal tasted like.

"Darker and gamier than moose," I told them (accurately), "but not as dark as whale."

Pandemonium from them, evil-bastard amusement for me...

Love it!!!! :biggrin:

Our housekeeper in Hong Kong regularly brought food back with her from her country after her trips home. Once one of the dishes main ingredients was dogmeat. The kids weren't too happy at my barking every time they opened the fridge :smile: but I did explain that in some places people are so poor that this is one of the few cheap sources of protein they have access to, as indeed was the case with our housekeeper's family, and it is, after all, just meat. I tried it and it tasted like veal, quite nice actually. But a lot of people did go eeewwww when I told them.

Edited by insomniac (log)

When I was in cooking school, I had great fun pushing my classmates' buttons in just that very way.  We were debating the merits of organ meats one day, during a break (me in favour, everyone else opposed), when I got onto the subject of liver.

"Best part of most animals, when it's cooked properly," I pontificated, "take seal, for example...the old-timers are all about the flipper pie, but I'll take a big plate of seal liver anytime."

This, as I knew it would, provoked a mighty burst of outrage from my classmates, especially the younger female ones (y'know they're thinking about baby whitecoats, not big adults which are essentially 400-lb Rottweilers with short legs).  Eventually one of the braver souls piped up and asked me what seal tasted like.

"Darker and gamier than moose," I told them (accurately), "but not as dark as whale."

Our housekeeper in Hong Kong regularly brought food back with her from her country after her trips home. Once one of the dishes main ingredients was dogmeat. The kids weren't too happy at my barking every time they opened the fridge :smile: but I did explain that in some places people are so poor that this is one of the few cheap sources of protein they have access to, as indeed was the case with our housekeeper's family, and it is, after all, just meat. I tried it and it tasted like veal, quite nice actually. But a lot of people did go eeewwww when I told them.

I think I love you :wub:

BEARS, BEETS, BATTLESTAR GALACTICA

You don't eat dog in Asian countries because of economics - it's because it's supposed to be very energy boosting and very "warming" for the winter months. It's good if you're a guy and if she brought it back to share with your family, she must've really liked you guys!

Something I don`t like the preparation of is Hare soup, but I do like the end product strangely.

It involves the shot Hare being hung by the back legs in a cool airy place until the belly skin is dark green due to the decomposition of the digestive tract, then it is skinned and wiped clean before evisceration and the blood and liquids left in the body cavity are kept seperate for thickening the soup near the end of cooking.

Breathing apparatus would be a good idea :laugh:

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Disgusting ? Yes, well there's nothing that pisses me off more than those who can't put up with the behaviour of others... :wink:

My brother reckoned, after eating dog when visiting his gf's family in the Luzon mountains, that the dogs (the remaining dogs) could smell it on him over the next few days, and avoided him like the plague.

Henry dV - where in Perthshire are you ? I grew up there.

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

You don't eat dog in Asian countries because of economics - it's because it's supposed to be very energy boosting and very "warming" for the winter months. It's good if you're a guy and if she brought it back to share with your family, she must've really liked you guys!

trust me, Gastro888, the dog eating was definitely an economic decision. Deep in Benguet province in the Philippines and the village is an Igarot one (Filipino aboriginal people) and is extremely poor. I later took the kids there and we stayed for 5 days and we all ate the dog adobo as that was pretty well all the protein they had except for manok (chicken) the pork(baboy) was saved for very special occasions. Basically we ate mountains of rice with veg and mung beans and very small amounts of meat. But we did laugh a lot and enjoy amazing hospitality.

......not like the markets I've been to in China where yellow dog is prized for other reasons as you say, as I believe it is also in Korea

trust me, Gastro888, the dog eating was definitely an economic decision. Deep in Benguet province in the Philippines and the village is an Igarot one (Filipino aboriginal people) and is extremely poor. I later took the kids there and we stayed for 5 days and we all ate the dog adobo as that was pretty well all the protein they had except for manok (chicken) the pork(baboy) was saved for very special occasions. Basically we ate mountains of rice with veg and mung beans and very small amounts of meat. But we did laugh a lot and enjoy amazing hospitality.

......not like the markets I've been to in China where yellow dog is prized for other reasons as you say, as I believe it is also in Korea

Just a tiny point and nothing to do with dogs really.

If people are eating mountains of rice, veg, and mung beans,

there is abundant protein and other nutrients in that meal.

Dog may be low on the

local hierarchy of meats, but from your description, hardly

sounds like it's needed to stave off starvation.

Milagai

Back on the subject of how munching down on Rover can elicit a certain cultural reaction.......

As Gastro88 has said, much of the thing about dog is the heat burst that comes with it.

Many years back (when I had hair) I'd heard that the best dogs in Korea were the ones that were raised on their own faecal matter. So, with a trip planned (which didn't materialize as would happen), I'd memorized my one key phrase for the trip.

ttong-ke shiktang odi issumnika?

This left my Korean friends rolling in laughter, falling off the couches for quite some time (I think one of them is still chuckling a few years on).

I had literally asked "s**t eating dog restaurant, where is it?"

We won't go into the reaction as to when I asked where the penso is........

Henry dV - where in Perthshire are you ?  I grew up there.

I`m in the Fair City, BTW - I noticed the name straight away, I wonder how many here know what it means :wink:

"It's true I crept the boards in my youth, but I never had it in my blood, and that's what so essential isn't it? The theatrical zeal in the veins. Alas, I have little more than vintage wine and memories." - Montague Withnail.

Just a tiny point and nothing to do with dogs really.

there is abundant protein and other nutrients in that meal.

Dog may be low on the

local hierarchy of meats, but from your description, hardly

sounds like it's needed to stave off starvation.

Milagai

I meant they were eating mountains of rice with VERY small servings of the other

there is abundant protein...

Milagai, me old chum - is it not true that the Indian diet relies on the three - a grain (rice or bread), beans and *some dairy* (paneer/yoghurt mostly, of course) for a complete supply of protein ?

Edited by Blether (log)

I`m in the Fair City, BTW - I noticed the name straight away, I wonder how many here know what it means  :wink:

Ha ha ! Seemed appropriate. In other (more combative !) forums I've been ribbed by some of our American cousins corrupting it to 'blather'... mostly I sit quietly and smile to myself. I lived about 24 miles west of you from, oh, 1968 to 1983 or so - '86, I guess, counting summers.

Will you be writing up a report on "Let's Eat" for us ? Fine dining in Perth - whoever would have thought it ? (shakes head in wonderment (and hopes it's still there, seven years on)) :wink: My head ? Yeah, that too.

[sorry, Sheena, to meander in your thread :smile: ]

Edited by Blether (log)

in korea you eat dog, because it's supposed to be good for you. I think it's supposed to be a good food for men that makes them strong. You also only eat one dog in korea, it looks a little bit like a shibu inu.

Hey, If I saw someone in this thread from my home town I'd be the same way, chit chat away

Oh interesting! This is the first I've ever heard of dog being consumed for economic reasons. That's a new one.

I jokingly threaten to eat my parents' neighbor's dog when it's barking at 6am on a Sunday morning for no reason... :hmmm::laugh:

Oh interesting! This is the first I've ever heard of dog being consumed for economic reasons. That's a new one.

I jokingly threaten to eat my parents' neighbor's dog when it's barking at 6am on a Sunday morning for no reason... :hmmm::laugh:

ahhh but do they have a shibu inu.... :wink:

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

there is abundant protein...

Milagai, me old chum - is it not true that the Indian diet relies on the three - a grain (rice or bread), beans and *some dairy* (paneer/yoghurt mostly, of course) for a complete supply of protein ?

This may or may not be true - I am not sure.

From the little I have read/observed,

vegetarian communities in India tend to rely on some dairy

in addition to grain+bean;

non-vegetarian communities don't do so much dairy

except in desserts etc.

Regarding "complete" protein, that was a myth exploded years

ago by the nutrition gurus. And if you want to

combine proteins, nutritionists suggest that

beans+grain does it for you, with or without dairy.

Not sure what your question referred to.

Milagai

Here's a Pic of what they look like. They look a little bit like shiba inus, right? Their faces aren't as wide though.

Pic of eating dogs

just a warning, be careful when you scroll down to see the next set of pics....you might not like it

Edited by SheenaGreena (log)

Regarding "complete" protein, that was a myth exploded years

ago by the nutrition gurus.  And if you want to

combine proteins, nutritionists suggest that

beans+grain does it for you, with or without dairy.

Not sure what your question referred to.

Milagai

I think you got it clearly enough :smile: - of course we haven't exchanged posts before, but I think I've seen you posting on Indian food topics, which is why I asked.

Here's a Pic of what they look like.  They look a little bit like shiba inus, right?  Their faces aren't as wide though.

Pic of eating dogs

just a warning, be careful when you scroll down to see the next set of pics....you might not like it

A friend of ours in the military had a pet dog (who died a few months ago at a ripe old age) that he "liberated" in Korea. :wub: That dog adored him. I wonder if she had an inkling of what her fate would've been.

SuzySushi

"She sells shiso by the seashore."

My eGullet Foodblog: A Tropical Christmas in the Suburbs

Back on the subject of how munching down on Rover can elicit a certain cultural reaction.......

As Gastro88 has said, much of the thing about dog is the heat burst that comes with it.

Many years back (when I had hair) I'd heard that the best dogs in Korea were the ones that were raised on their own faecal matter.  So, with a trip planned (which didn't materialize as would happen), I'd memorized my one key phrase for the trip.

ttong-ke shiktang odi issumnika?

This left my Korean friends rolling in laughter, falling off the couches for quite some time (I think one of them is still chuckling a few years on).

I had literally asked "s**t eating dog restaurant, where is it?"

We won't go into the reaction as to when I asked where the penso is........

Peter, is that like the 'heating effect' of snake which I have noticed definitely gives your body a heat surge?

Kinda. It's just very "nourishing" and the heating effects refers to the yin or yang quality of the ingredient in particular. My knowledge of this is limited so maybe one of the more experiences Chinese cooks on this forum might be able to answer your question.

I hadn't noticed that with snake, but we only had scraps off of the rattler, and the one in Taipei was mainly for the bile for the soup.

Many of my Korean friends have had dog, and all talk of a rush of heat that comes with it, running up and through and out your pores. Taegu is supposedly one of the best places for dog, but I only had one night there, and I was after the sunde which was another speciality.

But, here's another dish! In Sip Sawng Panna they told me to have the "salad". What I got was a big bowl of congealed pigs blood loaded up with chilis and herbs......quite good, but slow going.

I hadn't noticed that with snake, but we only had scraps off of the rattler, and the one in Taipei was mainly for the bile for the soup.

Many of my Korean friends have had dog, and all talk of a rush of heat that comes with it, running up and through and out your pores.  Taegu is supposedly one of the best places for dog, but I only had one night there, and I was after the sunde which was another speciality.

But, here's another dish!  In Sip Sawng Panna they told me to have the "salad".  What I got was a big bowl of congealed pigs blood loaded up with chilis and herbs......quite good, but slow going.

aha, yes, my daughter had that ordered for her in Xishuangbanna by Chinese friends and manfully(?) struggled on with it although she did say it was the only thing in her life so far she was NOT keen on eating again....oh, and it is snake soup that is very 'heating'. Had it a lot in HK in winter, quite delicious.

My question to all of you then is, what is the acceptable or politically correct level of "ewwwwwwww?"

I'm pretty adventurous, especially compared with most of my family, when it comes to trying different cuisines or types of food. However, I am well aware that there are foods I like that have provoked that response. I guess what I'm trying to say is that foods like chicken feet, pigs' feet, liver, chitterlings, even grits have provoked that response from people when I mentioned that I like them.

I and others here have even received that very same reaction on this forum when publicly stating that we have the audacity and bad taste to like things like Jello or Miracle Whip.:laugh: That's here among the culinarily enlightened. :wink:

So if someone expresses disdain for the aforementioned pigs feets, liver, etc. and I get the ewwwwwww response, I don't get offended because although I like those foods it is entirely understandable to me why someone would be completely grossed out at the thought of eating them. Likewise, I would say that it would be entirely understandable to me that someone would not want to sample, for instance, a beverage fermented by having the main ingredient pre-chewed and spit into a container, even if it's a drink that I enjoy.

Any answers?

Edited because of lousy proofreading.

Edited by divalasvegas (log)

Inside me there is a thin woman screaming to get out, but I can usually keep the Bitch quiet: with CHOCOLATE!!!