• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Smoker Bag

DRColby

Stumbled across "Smoker Bag", imported from Finland, today while at Safeway. It's used, according to instructions, for smoking fish in oven or grill. Looked interesting, little spendy at $5 but thought I'd load one with some albacore, salmon and black cod. and see what happens.

Anyone have any experience with this method of smoking?

Dave

I tried one as a product test for a cooking club I belong to. My husband and I both thought the results were horrid. We tried the smoker bag for poultry, cooked a chicken in it according to instructions, and were rewarded with something that tasted more of pine tar than of a nicely smoked piece of chicken.

It's a shame, really: it seems like a such a good idea. But the house stank for days, and the chicken finally had to be mixed with other chicken in a pasta dish just to even out the flavor.

Nancy Smith, aka "Smithy"
HosteG Forumsnsmith@egstaff.org

Follow us on social media! Facebook; instagram.com/egulletx; twitter.com/egullet

"Every day should be filled with something delicious, because life is too short not to spoil yourself. " -- Ling (with permission)
"There comes a time in every project when you have to shoot the engineer and start production." -- author unknown

Stumbled across "Smoker Bag",  imported from Finland, today while at Safeway. It's used, according to instructions, for smoking fish in oven or grill.  Looked interesting, little spendy at $5 but thought I'd load one with some albacore, salmon and black cod. and see what happens.

Anyone have any experience with this method of smoking?

Dave

I'd say take one for the team and let us know what you think.

I also stumbled across these at an Independent Grocers Assoc. (IGA) store quite sometime ago. I can't even recall what it was I smoked but I didn't think it was that bad. Living in an apartment, there aren't many BBQ options open for me so I thought it made a good alternative for those who can't do the real thing.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

I've used the SAVU brand smoker bags--they are from Finland--to cook salmon. The results were quite good. Remember, you are hot smoking, not cold smoking, so you don't get that deli smoked salmon texture. I once had a delicious "Saumon fume a la minute" in Belgium, and the result with the bag is more like that.

I think Trader Joe's used to carry these bags, but I haven't been to one for a number of years. I've seen other brands occasionally in the supermarket and don't know how they are.