• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Bama Bound

Osnav

We will be spending some time in Alabama in the near future. Mostly in Birmingham and Montgomery. We are looking for restaurants that will give us the best of what alabama can produce. Cost (either way) is not important. Whether it's cheap & good or expensive & good, it is the food that we are seeking.

Since we will be working in the day, we are looking for nighttime dining.

Thanks,

ri

"the only thing we knew for sure about henry porter was that his name wasn't henry porter" : bob

i would check out frank stitt's restaurants. see here.

for cheap eats, there are also some really solid hot dog places around the downtown area. one i believe is near the entrance to one of the parking garages downtown (can't remember the name).

as for bbq, skip jim n' nick's. i was not impressed with the nashville area ones. if you have a car and are willing to make a roadtrip, big bob gibson's bbq up in decatur is good, as is the original dreamland bbq down in tuscaloosa.

in case you don't get a lot of replies, i would check out bhamdining.com and birminghammenus.com

I second the Stitt recommendations and would also add Hot and Hot Fish Club (which is not mainly a seafood restaurant) for high end dining with local ingredients. Carpetbagger hits on some B'ham dining institutions--barbeque and hot dogs. Everybody has their own barbeque preferrences so you can get a lot of different opinions there--my recommendation would be Pat James Full Moon Barbeque. Another Birmingham dining institution is the meat-and-three steam table lunch spot. Nikki's West is probably the best of the bunch--or certainly the most famous. The atmosphere is, in my opinion, pretty awful but the veggies are good and it is a real landmark. If I recall correctly, they are open for dinner but hey--you've got to eat lunch too so why not hit them up for a quick lunch. Another great dininng institution is the Bright Star in Bessemer which is worth a little drive to take in an evening meal.

Edited by Guilty Gourmand (log)

I will second the above suggestions but also recommend finding a copy of "The Hundred Things in Alabama You Must Eat Before You Die"--available fr/ the convention-visitors' bureau as well as welcome centers, &c. Granted it is marketing for tourism but is fun.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

i am also going to be in birmingham area in mid march ... specifically to play some golf on the robert trent jones trail. will be based out of birmingham for a few days, with a day in gadsden area...

any other suggestions are greatly appreciated. i am not interested in high end dining - but rather, prefer "roadfood" type stops.... great bbq (my preference is for good pulled pork, baby back ribs, chicken), great seafood shack type places (think fried clams/oysters po' boys, etc.), or anything else.

also, any good bar recommendations - comfortable place to have a beer after playing a round, possibly in combination with above dining suggestions.

i am also going to be in birmingham area in mid march ... specifically to play some golf on the robert trent jones trail. 

Your honesty is refreshing. :biggrin:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

i am also going to be in birmingham area in mid march ... specifically to play some golf on the robert trent jones trail.  will be based out of birmingham for a few days, with a day in gadsden area...

any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.  i am not interested in high end dining - but rather, prefer "roadfood" type stops.... great bbq (my preference is for good pulled pork, baby back ribs, chicken), great seafood shack type places (think fried clams/oysters po' boys, etc.), or anything else.

also, any good bar recommendations - comfortable place to have a beer after playing a round, possibly in combination with above dining suggestions.

After you finish playing golf in Gadsden, go to Anniston at eat at Classic on Noble

The owner's, Cathy and David Mashburn are friends of mine and their food is very good. Tell them Michelle Kemp sent you.

Edited by Swisskaese (log)

i am also going to be in birmingham area in mid march ... specifically to play some golf on the robert trent jones trail.  will be based out of birmingham for a few days, with a day in gadsden area...

any other suggestions are greatly appreciated.  i am not interested in high end dining - but rather, prefer "roadfood" type stops.... great bbq (my preference is for good pulled pork, baby back ribs, chicken), great seafood shack type places (think fried clams/oysters po' boys, etc.), or anything else.

After you finish playing golf in Gadsden, go to Anniston at eat at Classic on Noble

The owner's, Cathy and David Mashburn are friends of mine and their food is very good. Tell them Michelle Kemp sent you.

thanks for the tip. we will definitely try to do that.

Let's see..............I like Stitt's Highlands and Chez Fon Fon restaurants, Bottega was disappointing the one time I went, but others seem to like it. I would check out John's City Diner downtown - upscale Southern in a 1940s diner. I recently hosted a banquet there and all were satisfied. They have a website. I also like Little Savannah in Forest Park for upscale casual. For BBQ I am partial to Carlile's. It is off the beaten track on Bham's Southside, and only open for lunch.

I wouldn't spend much time looking for good seafood in Birmingham.

I would beg to differ, The Fish Market Southside has great simple seafood (and super fresh - they have their own truck that goes to the gulf daily) and Ocean in Five Points South is excellent.

I wouldn't spend much time looking for good seafood in Birmingham.

I would beg to differ, The Fish Market Southside has great simple seafood (and super fresh - they have their own truck that goes to the gulf daily) and Ocean in Five Points South is excellent.

Ditto on that. Everytime I go home for a visit, I go to Bham for my Fish Market fix.

• 2 weeks later...