• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chocolate Chip

LJC

Has anyone been on a quest to find out who makes the best Chocolate Chip Cookie in the city?

I am a fan of both Jaques Torres and City Bakery but I have not searched far and wide. Where are other stand outs to be found?

i - as does the rest of the boston area - have an absolute favorite chocolate chip cookie. it doesn't help you much, since it's in chestnut hill, massachusetts...but it's SO yummy :smile: if you're ever in the boston area go to rosie's bakery in chestnut hill. well worth it.

For a thick, chewey, gooey, cookie, I too think Levain is great.

For a thinner and crisp cookie, I think the ones at Pain Quotidien are pretty good.

My favorite cookie in the city is at place in SoHo called "Olive's" at 120 Prince Street. They make a chocolate cookie with white chocolate chunks and dried cherries in it. Fantastic. They also have an oatmeal chocolate chip called the "cowboy cookie" that's excellent.

For a thick, chewey, gooey, cookie, I too think Levain is great.

For a thinner and crisp cookie, I think the ones at Pain Quotidien are pretty good.

My favorite cookie in the city is at place in SoHo called "Olive's" at 120 Prince Street.  They make a chocolate cookie with white chocolate chunks and dried cherries in it.  Fantastic.  They also have an oatmeal chocolate chip called the "cowboy cookie" that's excellent.

My vote goes to Jaques Torres.

I didn't realize until today that Vosges on Spring St. made cookies. The flavors are typical of Vosges, the chocolate chip cookie is the Naga which has curry, pumpkin, hempseed, coconut flavors in it and I'm guessing they're not made every day (the bag it was in on the counter was dated 2/23,) but it was sort of awesome. It was moist, big like a Levain cookie, and while the chocolate flavor was rich and constant the cookie changed from savory to sweet over the length of eating it. The only downside is one cookie is $5.50.

Is Ruby et Violette still around? I know they sold the business last year but didn't know if it moved too. The quality of their selection was far suprior to Milk & Cookies.

I miss the City Bakery chocolate chip cookie dough.

I second Olives...altho I prefer the plain chocolate chip cookie. Get two. (They also make a homemade Ring Ding...but that's a story for another day).

City Bakery's choc chip cookie does not do it for me...too gooey and baking soda-y...

I will say that Whole Foods' choc chip cookie, when the need strikes, goes a long way towards satisfying...