• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The Left Bank... of Chicago

ulterior epicure

... well, sort of. Doesn't seem likely (okay, damn near impossible) that L. Tourondel (of the initialed "BLT" "chain") will physically be at the soon-to-open Brasserie Ruhlmann outpost in Chicago as EC... but I guess the Midwest will be getting a taste of Paris, by way of NYC.

From the Chicago Magazine's "Dish"

Coming by the end of this summer is a giant-size outpost of New York’s showstopper Brasserie Ruhlmann. “It will be a classic French brasserie and raw bar from the Right Bank of Paris,” says Rick Wahlstedt, a partner. “I want something genuine, classic, and timeless.” Furnishings by Jacques-Émile Ruhlmann, the legendary art deco designer after whom the restaurant is named, will be replicated for the 500-seat space. Note: Laurent Tourondel, exec chef of the NYC Brasserie Ruhlmann (and BLT Steak, BLT Prime, and BLT Fish), is not a shoo-in to be the executive chef in the Chicago BR —nor has he been ruled out. “We have a lot of candidates for the position,” says Lim. “We’re trying to make sure we choose the right person.” Wahlstedt puts it more succinctly: “We just broke ground and we have a good six months construction time.”

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

I'll just say that it bums me out when the biggest Chicago restaurant news of the week is that an outpost of an already-existing restaurant will be opening here. When I saw that this was the lead piece in this week's Dish, I knew it was a slow week, to say the least. Still, when the opening eventually rolls around, I suppose it'll be interesting to see how this plays here.

As for Tourondel, I imagine that even if he gets the gig, he won't be on premises very often.

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

As for Tourondel, I imagine that even if he gets the gig, he won't be on premises very often.

To borrow another eGulleter's term: Yes, I imagine it might be a very "phoned-in" experience... or televised, a la Keller?

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

it bums me out when the biggest Chicago restaurant news of the week is that an outpost of an already-existing restaurant will be opening here.

iagree.gif

We can (and usually do) do better than that.

Then again, we never hear about it when the biggest restaurant news of the week in some other city is that an outpost of a Chicago restaurant will be opening there. :biggrin:

it bums me out when the biggest Chicago restaurant news of the week is that an outpost of an already-existing restaurant will be opening here.

iagree.gif

We can (and usually do) do better than that.

Then again, we never hear about it when the biggest restaurant news of the week in some other city is that an outpost of a Chicago restaurant will be opening there. :biggrin:

LOL, true. And just in case there's any confusion, I didn't mean to shoot the messenger (Dish or ue). It is a big story. I just wish there was a bigger, more local story that we could taste much sooner. :smile:

=R=

"Hey, hey, careful man! There's a beverage here!" --The Dude, The Big Lebowski

LTHForum.com -- The definitive Chicago-based culinary chat site

ronnie_suburban 'at' yahoo.com

“It will be a classic French brasserie and raw bar from the Right Bank of Paris,” says Rick Wahlstedt, a partner. “I want something genuine, classic, and timeless.”

A gen-u-ine Chicago replication of a New York replication of a Paris brasserie (which some say originated in Strasbourg - but don't tell the New Yorkers).