• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Foolproof way to extract tart from pan?

meredithla

I have a round fluted tart pan with a removable bottom. Is there an easy way to get the tart off of the removable bottom? I need to reuse the tart pan. Would lining the bottom with parchment work or would it inhibit the baking?

Today I tried putting a baked lemon tart in the freezer and then trying to pry it off when it was partially frozen (it was too delicate at room or fridge temp). I then had to cut it down the middle to get each half off separately. There must be a better way?

I use a cake lifterto do this. It's also good for stacking layers on cakes, removing pizza from pizza stones and other things as well.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I use a cake lifterto do this.  It's also good for stacking layers on cakes, removing pizza from pizza stones  and other things as well.

Ooooh, I like that! I did try a very thin flexible spatula but my crust was sticking to the bottom in places and then starting to break. That's why I thought partially freezing might be better first?

Hmm, what kind of tart pan is it? non stick? I have one of each, and I generally lightly grease the bottom of the one that is not non stick. The beauty of the cake spatula is the edge is bevelled and thin to get underneath, but also wide enough that the whole cake or tart fits on it. Parchment paper might work, but I tend to find it does inhibit browning on things like tarts, but then again, I'm no expert baker!

I think freezing first is just going to freeze the stuck part to the pan more.

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

I remove tarts with a smallish thin metal pizza peel. I bought mine at Homechef a long time ago, and I don't know if they're sold anymore. The Mario Batali peel at Sur La Table is similar to what I have. http://www.surlatable.com/p2p/searchResult...asc=true&page=1

I grease my tart pans with butter, from a Julia Child instruction. I resisted for a long time (more butter?!) but I discovered that the tarts come off the bottom easier AND the pan is easier to clean. No more prying bits of crust off those innumerable ridges.

My tart pan is not non-stick. So I think I will try one with butter and one with parchment and see if that works.

My other thought was maybe it is the filling in this particular tart--lemon, butter, sugar, egg yolks, cornstarch. I made some individual tarts with this filling and also couldn't get them out of the mini molds. At the same time, I blind baked just the crusts in a few and they came out no problem. Maybe my filling is seeping through the bottom and glueing the tart to the pan?

There is always unflavored dental floss, great tool for baking.

Just drape it around the far side under the crust and pull towards your self crossing the ends..Good for cutting layers also

Tracey

The great thing about barbeque is that when you get hungry 3 hours later....you can lick your fingers

Maxine

Avoid cutting yourself while slicing vegetables by getting someone else to hold them while you chop away.

"It is the government's fault, they've eaten everything."

My Webpage

garden state motorcyle association

I have read somewhere that you can buy a cake round (or cut it to the appropriate size for your pan), cover it with foil, and use it as a "substitute" bottom that can be given away with the tart. I have not tried this myself, but it sounds like it might work.

I have a round fluted tart pan with a removable bottom.  Is there an easy way to get the tart off of the removable bottom?  I need to reuse the tart pan.  Would lining the bottom with parchment work or would it inhibit the baking?

Today I tried putting a baked lemon tart in the freezer and then trying to pry it off when it was partially frozen (it was too delicate at room or fridge temp).  I then had to cut it down the middle to get each half off separately. There must be a better way?

when you refrigerate or freeze the tart, you're just solidifying any butter which would normally act as lube between your tart and the bottom. with most tart doughs, there's enough fat that you don't have to lube or use parchment.

just warm up the bottom a bit and stick a paring knife (or one of the other tools mentioned above) between the tart and the removable bottom.

but definitely do not refrigerate.