• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Czech Republic

zpzjessica

I am researching the Czech Republic for a foodie-related venture, and am wondering if anybody on the boards might have suggestions of restaurants/chefs to visit, foods unique to the Czech Republic, eccentric foodies/cooks/farmers in the CR, interesting tools/techniques used in the CR...

Basically, anything that would be of interest to a foodie!

Thanks everyone :smile:

I always remember being fascinated by the by the smazeny syr – a big hunk of deep fried cheese served with a side of fries…that can’t be healthy! (but it hits the spot sometimes.)

And, of course, on the drinks front as opposed to food, there’s a huge beer culture there. (I think lager originally started there). And, the Czech spirit Becherovka is kind of interesting. Maybe you’re looking for something more unique or out there, but those are the first things that come to my mind!

52 martinis blog

@52martinis

I am researching the Czech Republic for a foodie-related venture, and am wondering if anybody on the boards might have suggestions of restaurants/chefs to visit, foods unique to the Czech Republic, eccentric foodies/cooks/farmers in the CR, interesting tools/techniques used in the CR...

Thanks everyone  :smile:

Something I learned at more than one restaurant is that employees regularly, even daily, forage in the forest for wild mushrooms. The beer cheeses are interesting and generally not available in the U.S. (even at the very best cheese shops). Bakery sweets tended to be unusual and excellent. Honestly, I enjoyed the food in Prague as much as the food in Tuscany.

some of the world's greatest beers.

beer is incredibly cheap and they drink it copiously in pubs (pivonice). beer is called pivo. supposedly the highest per-capita consumption in the world (almost certainly true). most bars only serve one brand...you'll know it by the sign outside (bars on the tourist area -- Prague 1 and 2, will serve an assortment). major brands include Pilsner Urquell, Staropramen, Budvar (the original Budweiser), Radegast, Flecku, Kozel and Krusovice. major after-dinner drinks include Berovechka and Fernet Stock.

they sell lots of cheap, local "absinthe"...but it's not the real thing its made by maceration instead of distillation and they add food coloring (more on this in the cocktail forum).

Czech cuisine is composed of meat, dumplings and more meat. they hate vegetables. the food generally sucks. still, the pork knee and venison has its charms. everything is very heavy and hearty.

they are big on knedli - all kinds of dumplings in soups , similar to german/austrian semolina/bread big dumplings.

here's a little article on them

http://www.danubiusmagazin.hu/magazin/gasztronom/sor_e.htm

p.s. knedlik is singular of knedli.

another very popular dish is gulasc (or gulasz in hungarian) - you know that one probably.

here's an italian site - with some dish names, which might or might not help you.

http://www.pragaconalberto.com/?page=512〈=it

oh! and they love carp!

Edited by rumball (log)

this might point you in the right direction:

chech cuisine is ""ceska kuchyne" . you can google it - a lot of sites come up, most in chech, but some in other languages - you can get some idea from pics.

if you have some questions, i'll try to make sense out it, knowing russian and some polish - the words are often very close.

Vepřo-knedlo-zelo (roast pork knee with dumplings and cabbage) and svičkova (beef with cream sauce) are foods unique to the Czech Republic.

These guys, Kluci v acki / Boys in Action do a Jamie-Oliver-inspired cooking program and have lots of international restaurant experience; they could probably offer some good connections.

Lots of good hidden places exist. Coffehouse/teahouse culture is quite big...

Carp, I am happy to add, usually only makes an appearance around Christmastime. :wink:

Good luck with your venture!