• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

A Rose is a rose is a rose

Carrot Top

Before me sits a bouquet of roses. They are pink, and they smell very very nice.

I like them, but then I think: Can I eat them?

Probably not. They're probably sprayed. Next year, maybe he'll send me a steak. :smile:

If you have access to unsprayed roses, have you used them in cooking? How?

Of course the first thing that comes to mind is the quail with rose petal dish from the movie/novel "Like water for Chocolate". I could never find unsprayed roses when I wnated to make it though.

E. Nassar
Houston, TX

My Blog

rose petal soups and rose petal omelets .. :wink:

How about this idea?

Rose-Petal Butter & Rose-Petal Sandwiches

Put a layer of Red Rose-petals in the bottom of a jar or covered dish, put in 4 OZ. of fresh butter wrapped in waxed paper. Cover with a thick layer of rose-petals. Cover closely and leave in a cool place overnight. The more fragrant the roses, the finer the flavour imparted. Cut bread in thin strips or circles, spread each with the perfumed butter and place several petals from fresh Red Roses between the slices, allowing edges to show.

source Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

Am I the only person who doesn't like the taste of flowers in my food? Rose petals or rose water, orange blossom water, lavendar -- they all make me think of soap or perfume when I'm eating.

Am I the only person who doesn't like the taste of flowers in my food? Rose petals or rose water, orange blossom water, lavendar -- they all make me think of soap or perfume when I'm eating.

Janet, I'm with you on this one, except I always think of hand lotion (conversely, Diana and I saw chocolate scented shampoo for kids and were more than puzzled).

Susan Fahning aka "snowangel"

I make a lovely rose pudding cooking the rose petals in the milk, the straining them out & pureeing them to be added back into the pudding at the last minute.

and of course garnished with a few raw petals...

I also like rose petals in salad.

besides using food safe roses, you also have to be careful to cut the white pith off the end of the petal or it adds a bitter flavor. Not surprisingly, stronger scented roses tend to give stronger flavors.

Do you suffer from Acute Culinary Syndrome? Maybe it's time to get help...

Of course the first thing that comes to mind is the quail with rose petal dish from the movie/novel "Like water for Chocolate". I could never find unsprayed roses when I wnated to make it though.

Ahhh, yes. Startling, some of the recipes from that book. I read recently that the device she used in writing the book is called "magical realism".

The foods she cooked took on her emotions - they *were* her emotions . . and those that swallowed the foods ate the emotions - they overcame those that ate them.

Interesting to consider, too, the symbolism of each ingredient.

Thanks for reminding me of that book - I'll have to re-read it, yet again. :smile:

rose petal soups and rose petal omelets .. :wink:

How about this idea?

Rose-Petal Butter & Rose-Petal Sandwiches

Put a layer of Red Rose-petals in the bottom of a jar or covered dish, put in 4 OZ. of fresh butter wrapped in waxed paper. Cover with a thick layer of rose-petals. Cover closely and leave in a cool place overnight. The more fragrant the roses, the finer the flavour imparted. Cut bread in thin strips or circles, spread each with the perfumed butter and place several petals from fresh Red Roses between the slices, allowing edges to show.

source

A lot of fantastic recipes there, Melissa. Many many excellent ideas!

Rose Petal Ice Cream

(Swoon) :laugh:

It depends on the balance of the dish, for me. It can go awry easily.

I think the Western palate is unaccustomed to this sort of flavor - there's a density of sorts that startles the palate.

Rose petal jam

I've heard of rose hips jam, but rose petal sounds lovely. :smile:

I make a lovely rose pudding cooking the rose petals in the milk, the straining them out & pureeing them to be added back into the pudding at the last minute. 

and of course garnished with a few raw petals...

I also like rose petals in salad.

besides using food safe roses, you also have to be careful to cut the white pith off the end of the petal or it adds a bitter flavor.    Not surprisingly, stronger scented roses tend to give stronger flavors.

A useful hint, about the white pith!

I'm sure there is somewhere online that one can buy edible (unsprayed) roses, lacking a garden or the right kind of thumb. :biggrin:

I'm with you on the roses. I do not like the flavour of roses - or lavender for that matter. But I just ordered some orange blossom water - I've never used it. I'll withhold my opinion on it until I've tried it.