• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Zabar's smoked fish

debbiemoose

I received today, in North Carolina, a shipment of smoked salmon and sable from Zabar's. Yes, nothing says lovin' on Valentine's Day like a box of stinky fish. The salmon is prepackaged and the package says it can be frozen. The sable looks like it came off the deli, slices wrapped loosely in wax paper and foil. I put the sable in a plastic bag and put both in the refrigerator. Does anyone know if the sable can be frozen? And any serving suggestions besides slapping it on a bagel? I know a lot I can do with smoked salmon but I'm not as familiar with sable. (Down here, we smoke pig, not fish.) Thanks!

I have them package it in 1/2 lb lots, then I seal them with the Foodsaver when I get home. Then I freeze them. I have successfully kept them 6 months, no problem.

Edit for clarification: I refer to the salmon and sturgeon.

Edited by Bricktop (log)

I'd suggest you not freeze the sable. It's quite delicate and the texture is half the appeal, so if it was hand-sliced and shipped that way you'll enjoy it most if you eat it straight. The smoked salmon can surely tolerate freezing, especially if its final disposition is in an omelette or something like that. It's not as special as the sable, though -- you can probably get decent smoked salmon in North Carolina, heck they even have some good stuff at Costco, but you're not likely to be able to find really good sable.

Steven A. Shaw aka "Fat Guy"
Co-founder, Society for Culinary Arts & Letters, sshaw@egstaff.org
Proud signatory to the eG Ethics code
Director, New Media Studies, International Culinary Center (take my food-blogging course)