• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Chutney

Suvir Saran

No hazards in using canned in my limited experience. But if you can find fresh ripe tomatoes, there should be no reason at all to use canned ones.

Use red chili powder or paprika. And some times, when not wanting to make the chutney too hot, I even skip chile powder/cayenne all together. Use either. You will be just fine. Kashmiri Mirch will give a great color to the already beautiful chutney.

And do let us know here or email with any questions you may have.

All the best to you with the canning.

Finally.... the world famous tomato chutney is in my pantry now!!! Thanks a million Suvir. I didn't need to can this time. As I have a pretty good background in messing up with the new recipes during the first trial, I cut down the ingredients to 1/4th. I made the chutney with only 2 lbs of tomatoes this time! :smile: But the result was excellent and I will be making it again very soon and very often. :raz:

Instead of cayenne, I used red chilli powder + paprika (fifty-fifty). And I omitted canned tomato paste.

Thanks again, it is really delicious and it goes with anything!

Anymore wonderful chutney recipes like this? that we can make and store for a long time? :wub:

Red Pepper

My Workshop

Finally.... the world famous tomato chutney is in my pantry now!!!  Thanks a million Suvir.  I didn't need to can this time.  As I have a pretty good background in messing up with the new recipes during the first trial, I cut down the ingredients to 1/4th.  I made the chutney with only 2 lbs of tomatoes this time!  :smile: But the result was excellent and I will be making it again very soon and very often.  :raz: 

Instead of cayenne, I used red chilli powder + paprika (fifty-fifty).  And I omitted canned tomato paste.

Thanks again, it is really delicious and it goes with anything!

Anymore wonderful chutney recipes like this?  that we can make and store for a long time?  :wub:

I am glad it worked out OK for you.

Email me at chef@suvir.com and I can send you a ton of chutney recipes I have from my own home in India, NYC and those of friends. :smile:

Well, I finally made the chutney too. I used half canned and half fresh tomatoes just to see how it turns out. It is delicious. I have made a small batch and am not planning to "can" it. How long will it keep in the refrigerator before it goes bad? a week, a month ..? It actually tastes so good that I think we will have eaten it before it is in any danger of going bad.

I have made a version of Tomato Chutney from one of Madhur Jaffrey's book that has a lot of garlic in it. It is quite good too and I have made it several times.

Has anyone tried adding garlic to Suvir's version of the tomato chutney?

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

RKolluri

Well, I finally made the chutney too.  I used half canned and half fresh tomatoes just to see how it turns out.  It is delicious.  I have made a small batch and am not planning to "can" it.  How long will it keep in the refrigerator before it goes bad?  a week, a month ..?  It actually tastes so good that I think we will have eaten it before it is in any danger of going bad.

I have made a version of Tomato Chutney from one of Madhur Jaffrey's book that has a lot of garlic in it.  It is quite good too and I have made it several times. 

Has anyone tried adding garlic to Suvir's version of the tomato chutney?

Thanks for sharing the recipe.

RKolluri

It is much stronger in taste with the garlic. More Hyderabad style at that point. Without garlic, for some strange reason, it lends itself quite naturally to many a different dish and cuisine. With garlic, its roots get defined as strongly identified with Indian cuisine.

I love it both ways. The garlic free is also wonderful with dosas and most anything. It also makes it easy for you to eat the chutney without any fear.

It lasts a LONG time, especially if you have cooked it as long as suggested. Welcome to eGullet and its Indian forum. :smile:

• 2 weeks later...

Suvir,

Thanks so much for this recipe! After hearing all the good things said about it I made half a batch and then promptly made two more full batches since the tomatoes here were just beautfuI. My parents (both from Delhi) both loved it and agreed that it was the best they had tried in the US. My mother had a tomato chutney recipe that was her standard, but this one has replaced it.

Our favorite way to eat it is either with aloo parathas or with spicy besan pancakes (which my mother calls cheela and which Madhur Jaffrey calls pudlas). We have also love it with roast pork and chicken. You are so right in saying that it is just good to have around because it goes with everything and all of our friends, Indian and non-Indian, cannot get enough of it.

Thanks again, Ruchi

Suvir,

Thanks so much for this recipe!  After hearing all the good things said about it I made half a batch and then promptly made two more full batches since the tomatoes here were just beautfuI.  My parents (both from Delhi) both loved it and agreed that it was the best they had tried in the US.  My mother had a tomato chutney recipe that was her standard, but this one has replaced it.

Our favorite way to eat it is either with aloo parathas or with spicy besan pancakes (which my mother calls cheela and which Madhur Jaffrey calls pudlas).  We have also love it with roast pork and chicken.  You are so right in saying that it is just good to have around because it goes with everything and all of our friends, Indian and non-Indian, cannot get enough of it.

Thanks again, Ruchi

Ruchi, my welcome to you as a fellow eGullet member. Thanks for sharing your feedback of this recipe. I am glad it worked for you and your parents. My co-writer, Stephani Lyness should get as much credit as I get for the recipe. She spent as much time as I did in ensuring the recipe was indeed tested and timed correctly.

What was different about the recipe your mother made and which has now been replaced? Can you share that detail please?

Where in the US do you live? I want to try and understand how the tomatoes you may have differ from what I can get in NYC.

I love cheelas and my family calls these chickpea pancakes exactly as yours. I have never heard of them being called Pudlas... but we live and learn... Madhur has a far richer lifespan of experiences. I must defer to her wealth of knowledge on this one. It is the beauty of India, how things can change slightly or find new names as one travels from region to region, or even from one community to another within one region.

In my restaurant and home kitchen, there can never be enough tomato chutney either.

Again, welcome to eGullet Ruchi. :smile:

Thanks for the kind welcome Suvir.

My mother's recipe differed from yours in that it did not have as many ingredients and therefore was not as complex flavor-wise. I do not know exactly what her recipe is, but I do know that it contains a fair bit of fenugreek seeds and kalonji (black onion seed), it was definitely sweeter, thinner, and not nearly as spicy.

Living in San Diego has given me the luxury of having wonderful tomatoes at the farmer's market for most of the year although when I was visiting my parents in New Jersey a couple of weeks ago, we found wonderful local tomatoes there as well.

I have found myself cooking much more Indian food since I moved here from Boston due to a lack of good Indian restaurants in the immediate area, especially South Indian ones. This is why I am so glad to have this site as a resource. My mother is an excellent cook, but she rarely uses a recipe and I am so dependent on recipes that I find it hard to duplicate her dishes without having everything written down. I was especially glad to find your and panditji's recipe for kaddu because it is very similar to that which my grandmother makes.

Thanks again, Ruchi

Thanks again, Ruchi

Ruchi

Thanks for the kind welcome Suvir.

My mother's recipe differed from yours in that it did not have as many ingredients and therefore was not as complex flavor-wise.  I do not know exactly what her recipe is, but I do know that it contains a fair bit of fenugreek seeds and kalonji (black onion seed), it was definitely sweeter, thinner, and not nearly as spicy.

Living in San Diego has given me the luxury of having wonderful tomatoes at the farmer's market for most of the year although when I was visiting my parents in New Jersey a couple of weeks ago, we found wonderful local tomatoes there as well. 

I have found myself cooking much more Indian food since I moved here from Boston due to a lack of good Indian restaurants in the immediate area, especially South Indian ones.  This is why I am so glad to have this site as a resource.  My mother is an excellent cook, but she rarely uses a recipe and I am so dependent on recipes that I find it hard to duplicate her dishes without having everything written down.  I was especially glad to find your and panditji's recipe for kaddu because it is very similar to that which my grandmother makes.

Thanks again, Ruchi

Thanks again, Ruchi

Ruchi

Ruchi, thanks for sharing more about you and the family.

I envy your situation... Have you every made a trip to the Chino Farm? I love their produce. Especially the strawberries when you can find them.

The kalonji version of the tomato chutney is more eastern and not what one would find in Southern India as commonly. I am sure certain exceptions do apply. I never enjoyed the weaker, less complex tomato chutneys.. not sure why... and this one, as I said in the recipe, is from a neighbor in Delhi. They were originally from Hyderabad. It is really delicious and has fans around the globe. There are Indian friends and family members that ask for it and take it back to India.

I am glad the Kaddu recipe worked for you. My grandma was a big fan of panditjis kaddu. I did not like it as a young boy.. I enjoy it now, as an adult. Just as I now crave bitter melon. :shock: I could eat dozens of these and still crave for more.

If you ever need recipes, email me, and I am happy to send you some to play with.

Also, this forum has wonderful members, and I know most of us are happy sharing whatever we know.

Glad having you with us.... and I am sure in time, you shall realize it may have been a wonderful but loaded discovery... eGullet can consume a lot of ones time. It has a large community of members that give it much to be proud about.

Kobicook made an awesome "Spicy Tomato Jam" that goes very well with Indian, cheese, pasatrami, and anything else I can find!!! I don't have her recipe, however, but will beg very nicely.

• 3 weeks later...

I made Suvir's Tomato Chutney yesterday morning. God - Is it delicious or what... I had it with toasted bread for breakfast, hot rice and ghee for lunch and omelet (onions, green chilies, cilantro, eggs &.... tomato chutney) for dinner. Simply Heavenly! My husband, who normally doesn't eat chutneys, is hooked on. My 3 year old loves it. Thank you so much, Suvir, for sharing the lovely recipe.

However, I have never done canning before. Guess I am intimated by the process. So, I put the chutney in jars & refrigerated them.

Thank you again, Suvir.

I made Suvir's Tomato Chutney yesterday morning.  God - Is it delicious or what...  I had it with toasted bread for breakfast, hot rice and ghee for lunch and omelet (onions, green chilies, cilantro, eggs &.... tomato chutney) for dinner.  Simply Heavenly! My husband, who normally doesn't eat chutneys, is hooked on.  My 3 year old loves it.  Thank you so much, Suvir,  for sharing the lovely recipe.

However, I have never done canning before.  Guess I am intimated by the process.  So, I put the chutney in jars & refrigerated them.

Thank you again, Suvir.

Sujatha, many thanks for your kind words.

I wish I could take credit for this chutney. If you look at the head note to the recipe, I credit a friend and her family for it. I only brought back this recipe to life because the memories of it would haunt me long years after last having it in Durga's home in New Delhi.

Each time I enjoy the chutney or share it with another, I thank life and Durga and the abundance of food and love and joy that surrounds me. It is great to be able to enjoy foods and share and find love... and for that, I have no words but humility.

This chutney is very simple. You can leave your own imprint on it... add to it.... take away from it as you please.... do to it what you want... it is a good place to begin.

What is wonderful about it, as was pointed out by CathyL after she made it, is the versatile use of the finished chutney. Unlike many versions of tomato chutneys out there from the Indian culinary landscape, something about the simplicity and savory quality of this chutney, makes it pair easily and successfully with so many diverse things. Not unlike India, this dish is a celebration of the classic and the ability of a classic to thrive in diversity.

Tell us more about what your 3 year old enjoys. Please. :smile: You must feed him very well that he enjoys a spicy (not really, but I would have imagined at least for a young kid) chutney like this. What did your 3 year old eat it with?

Canning is very easy. Read this thread with some care... or email me. I would be happy to walk you through the canning process. There is NO reason to feel intimidated. You need nothing special.. only canning jars.... and gloves and a large stock pot. And you are all set. Really, canning has been made into some kind of a mythic art that it really is not. I can assure you once you try, you shall do it again and again. Several times each season. If memory serves me well, CathyL, canned for the first time when she prepared this chutney. Look at the begining of this thread... I am sure we can document that as a fact.

My email is chef@suvir.com, if you email me, I shall be happy to guide you through the process. You can also still can what you have in jars in the refrigerator. All you would have to do is to bring it back to a boil.

Canned jars keep a very long time. And keep void of any germs. And also, they make for great gifts to bring family and friends. A way of you sharing your own efforts and giving another, something that will bring joy to yet another group or set of people and at another date.

Canning is just like this tomato chutney, something very simple, and yet very wonderful.

Each time I enjoy the chutney or share it with another, I thank life and Durga and the abundance of food and love and joy that surrounds me.  It is  great to be able to enjoy foods and share and find love... and for that, I have no words but humility.

Tell us more about what your 3 year old enjoys.  Please.  :smile:   You must feed him very well that he enjoys a spicy (not really, but I would have imagined at least for a young kid) chutney like this.  What did your 3 year old eat it with?

Your humility and gratitude has inspired me more than you can imagine.

Regarding my son - He had the omelet i made by adding the tomato chutney & had a little tomato chutney with yogurt for dinner. He relishes chicken (prepared anyway, even has pulao), fish (fry or curries), shrimp, Kheema and egg (prepared anyway). Enjoys pizzas, chicken sandwich (from McDonalds), idli, dosa, pesarattu, vada etc. Loves yogurt and totally freaks out on kulfi (Monica - what a great recipe you offered in 'Spice is Right) and kaju barfi. My only concern with him is he will not eat vegetables except for dal. Maybe we should start another thread on vegetarian food for kids.

Edited by Sujatha (log)

Each time I enjoy the chutney or share it with another, I thank life and Durga and the abundance of food and love and joy that surrounds me.  It is  great to be able to enjoy foods and share and find love... and for that, I have no words but humility.

Tell us more about what your 3 year old enjoys.  Please.  :smile:   You must feed him very well that he enjoys a spicy (not really, but I would have imagined at least for a young kid) chutney like this.  What did your 3 year old eat it with?

Your humility and gratitude has inspired me more than you can imagine.

Regarding my son - He had the omelet i made by adding the tomato chutney & had a little tomato chutney with yogurt for dinner. He relishes chicken (prepared anyway, even has pulao), fish (fry or curries), shrimp, Kheema and egg (prepared anyway). Enjoys pizzas, chicken sandwich (from McDonalds), idli, dosa, pesarattu, vada etc. Loves yogurt and totally freaks out on kulfi (Monica - what a great recipe you offered in 'Spice is Right) and kaju barfi. My only concern with him is he will not eat vegetables except for dal. Maybe we should start another thread on vegetarian food for kids.

:wub: Thank you. That is very sweet. I have some simple vegetarain recipes for kids that I will share with you

Monica Bhide

A Life of Spice

Suvir,

As I explained in my lengthy email,  I canned the chutney last night & heard the pop sound.  I wouldn't have tried canning if it were not your kind words!  Thank you so much

-Sujatha

Sujatha,

You are most flattering and generous. You made the effort and you were brave enough to try what was seemingly difficult. I was not much help, really.

Thanks for your email and your post here. The popping sound is the most important thing. Congratulations. You were successful it seems. I am sure, in time, you shall be sharing recipes and canning stories with us on eGullet and your family and friends.

Keep us posted. :smile:

• 2 months later...

Suvir,

I made your chutney last evening. It has turned out excellently, thank you very much! Inspired I then went ahead and bottled some for several friends.

As it simmered on the stove, my house was redolent with its aroma and the fragrance of the spices ummmm.

just one question Do I need to refridgerate in in Bombay weather?

Rushina

• 8 months later...

This year I finally got it together in between the pomarola and sambal productions to make this chutney. It is as delicious as all the other posts say. I added 35 dried chillies to the tarka instead of um, I think it was 16? And all the cayenne and a scotch bonnet chilli cut in half and just thrown in whole. I think I've been living with a SE Asian for too long, because even I thought the chutney wasn't hot enough. All the Andhran food I've eaten has been pretty darn hot, but is this type of chutney supposed to be more mild? Anyone?

regards,

trillium

Edited by trillium (log)

My usual tomatoe chutney is very simple from Madhur jaffrey. I have run out and am going to try this one .....Would it be heretical to use canned tomatoes? Obviously fresh would be better, but the fresh ones i have acess to cost a fortune, and taste like wet slush. I ma hoping ot try this weekend.

• 2 years later...

Has anyone made this chutney lately? I plan to try it today as I have an over-abundance of tomatoes from my garden.

However, I went to 4 stores yesterday and could not find hing (asafetida). Is there a substitute for it? Also could not find Sambhar Powder so plan to sub regular Curry Powder from Whole Foods.

So frustrating I have no Indian grocery store in my small town. :sad: But miracle of miracles...the one tiny Asian grocery store had fresh curry leaves! I almost fainted!

Lobster.

Has anyone made this chutney lately?  I plan to try it today as I have an over-abundance of tomatoes from my garden. 

However, I went to 4 stores yesterday and could not find hing (asafetida). Is there a substitute for it?  Also could not find Sambhar Powder so plan to sub regular Curry Powder from Whole Foods.

So frustrating I have no Indian grocery store in my small town.  :sad:  But miracle of miracles...the one tiny Asian grocery store had fresh curry leaves! I almost fainted!

Curry powder is not the same thing as sambar (not sambhar) powder.

If you google 'sambar powder' and recipe, you can toast and grind

your own sambar powder if you have something like a coffee grinder

or spice mill. It's not hard (mostly coriander seed, fenugreek, maybe

cinnamon, dry red chillies, coconut, and a couple of other things - recipes vary)

most of the ingredients are available in a regular US supermarket.

Re hing: try mail order, there is no substitute for it really. Or leave it out

I guess. But that aroma will be missing.

Or just mail order the sambar powder too.

One of my favorite things about eGullet is that, just when you think you've read it all, a wonderful thread from the past gets brought up and you find another must-make recipe.

Thank you, Suvir Saran, for posting the tomato chutney recipe and discussion. I'm going to buy a case of tomatoes at the farmer's market this Thursday so I can make it. My first use will be in the old, US, southern standby, okra and tomatoes. I'm thinking that okra and tomato chutney will be absolutely fantastic.

If anyone who has made this recipe is reading, I do have one question. Is the measurement of 1 1/2 *cups* of oil correct? It is my inclination to use less, but if this is the correct amount, I'll stick to the recipe the first time out.

-L

One of my favorite things about eGullet is that, just when you think you've read it all, a wonderful thread from the past gets brought up and you find another must-make recipe.

Thank you, Suvir Saran, for posting the tomato chutney recipe and discussion.  I'm going to buy a case of tomatoes at the farmer's market this Thursday so I can make it.  My first use will be in the old, US, southern standby, okra and tomatoes.  I'm thinking that okra and tomato chutney will be absolutely fantastic.

If anyone who has made this recipe is reading, I do have one question.  Is the measurement of 1 1/2 *cups* of oil correct?  It is my inclination to use less, but if this is the correct amount, I'll stick to the recipe the first time out.

-L

That would be the correct amount.

• 2 weeks later...

Finally got enough nice ripe tomatoes to make this chutney. Not being a fan of very hot, I cut the chiles back to 6 from 16 and skipped the cayenne.

It has a nice gentle bite, can't wait to try it with some rice.