• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Tomato Chutney

Suvir Saran

Suvir will, I think, recognize this as a tribute: Part of the thrill of making this chutney is that the results are as delicious as his.

I so much enjoy the whole process, and then there's the pleasure of giving a jar to someone. Invariably, I get a call or e-mail asking for the recipe...or another jar. (When Nina tasted some, she said, "Okay, I get it." :laugh:)

Thanks, Suvir.

:wub:

Suvir will, I think, recognize this as a tribute: Part of the thrill of making this chutney is that the results are as delicious as his. 

I so much enjoy the whole process, and then there's the pleasure of giving a jar to someone.  Invariably, I get a call or e-mail asking for the recipe...or another jar.  (When Nina tasted some, she said, "Okay, I get it." :laugh:)

Thanks, Suvir. 

:wub:

Coming from Her Majesty The Queen of Chutney (Empress of other things), I take it as nothing but the highest compliment.

And I thank you for making this thread take quite a unique life. I do find it one of the more special ways in which eGullet is helping so many of us.

Thanks all, in your continued participation in this thread and around eGullet.

I find myself thinking even in my sleep about how much I learn each day (and night and early morning) on eGullet. :rolleyes:

And what made me most thrilled was to see that Boaziko was able to make it in Tel Aviv and that Foodman was kind enough to take pictures for us to make it even more real for those that have not tried yet. They have both added so much to this Chutney experience. I thank each of them for their participation. :smile:

The chutney was done this afternoon. Sorry about the delay in postong but we had a christma s party to go to and my wife was pushing me out the door as soon as I finished canning. The chutney is indeed amazing!! It has a very complex and firey taste. The recipe yeilded 12 half pint jars plus some leftovers.  Since we had to go I did not get a chance to taste except a couple of spoonfulls of this delicious sauce. The tomatoes were not as flavorful as I had hoped for so I followed The "chutney Queen's" suggestion and used a full 12oz can of tomato paste instead of six.

Here are the pictures,

The starting line-up

chutney1.jpg

The tomato puree

chutney3.jpg

Frying the spices

chutney2.jpg

The tomatoes are in

chutney4.jpg

The fully cooked chutney

chutney5.jpg

Pantry treasures

chutney6.jpg

Thanks for a fantastic new recipe Suvir, I will be doing this often.

FM

Just doing this to share the great pics Foodman took with whoever joins the thread at this later date.:smile:

As promised I translated the Chutney experience to Hebrew. (duely credited, I hope)

That's the link to the Israeli ORT FOOD FORUM:

If it is not open directly, go to the line where you see REUDOV (my code name) and in the line under it ORIK.

Click on REUDOV.

I planted some words in English so those of you who are not so fluent in Hebrew will understand the subject at least:

http://demo.ort.org.il/ortforums/scripts/f...93235558&pg=114

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

http://foodha.blogli.co.il/

As promised I translated the Chutney experience to Hebrew. (duely credited, I hope)

That's the link to the Israeli ORT FOOD FORUM:

If it is not open directly, go to the line where you see REUDOV (my code name) and in the line under it ORIK.

Click on REUDOV.

I planted some words in English so those of you who are not so fluent in Hebrew will  understand the subject at least:

http://demo.ort.org.il/ortforums/scripts/f...93235558&pg=114

Thanks again. :smile:

I made the chutney today, and it looks and tastes great. Unfortunately, I don't have enough jars to store it. If you want some, stop by with a jar. I'll be eating a lot of tomato over the holiday. I did find a good way to eat it -- put a ladle-full into a cup, eat with a spoon.

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

Boaziko,

I edited your post, just the image part, to correct the link. It was not opening before. Hope that is OK with you.

Thanks for the pic. Are these the jars you canned? Are you gifting them? How many did you yield?

Thanks for sharing the photograph. How sweet you are to give me credit on the label. Thanks.:smile:

Liza told me she froze some when she wasn't able to can it.  No ill effects, apparently.

What a great pointer from Liza. :smile:

Sounds like a perfect tip for Dstone.

How many pounds of tomatoes did you use Dstone?

About 8 pounds. They weren't as ripe as I'd have liked. A little too firm. But it tastes great. And I've eaten too much already.

Liza told me she froze some when she wasn't able to can it.  No ill effects, apparently.

What a great pointer from Liza. :smile:

Sounds like a perfect tip for Dstone.

How many pounds of tomatoes did you use Dstone?

About 8 pounds. They weren't as ripe as I'd have liked. A little too firm. But it tastes great. And I've eaten too much already.

You made a full recipe. :smile: WOW!

Did you add some canned tomato paste?

How much do you have left?

Did you freeze any as per Liza/CathyL instructions?

What have you eaten the chutney with?

Not frozen yet. I bought a loaf of bread yesterday and some cheese (something called St Andre, brie like, and a Danish blue). Dipped a lot of the bread in the chutney. Today I tried it with eggs, because that seemed odd. I boiled 5 eggs, cut them in half and put them in some chutney. The chutney pretty much masked the flavor of the egg.

I'm not sure I simmered enough. Mine's basically like a thick pasta sauce. Damn good though.

Oh, and I may have scorched the chilis. There's a sharp, bitter aftertaste that no one noticed but me. I think it was the chilis.

Edited by Dstone001 (log)

Not frozen yet.  I bought a loaf of bread yesterday and some cheese (something called St Andre, brie like, and a Danish blue).  Dipped a lot of the bread in the chutney.  Today I tried it with eggs, because that seemed odd.  I boiled 5 eggs, cut them in half and put them in some chutney.  The chutney pretty much masked the flavor of the egg.

I'm not sure I simmered enough.  Mine's basically like a thick pasta sauce.  Damn good though.

Oh, and I may have scorched the chilis.  There's a sharp, bitter aftertaste that no one noticed but me.  I think it was the chilis.

How long did you simmer? Have a digital camera? Maybe you can take a pic... :biggrin:

I love it with eggs... And in fact, if you want to try it again, you can add some cream into the chutney before adding the eggs... very tasty creamy sauce it makes... I fry the eggs just a little to give them a slightly crunchy skin.

Or you can add some water, thicken the sauce just a little, add som milk, bring to a boil, break eggs into the sauce, cover and cook for 5-7 minutes.

That is a great way of making curried eggs with tomato chutney.

I often broil brie with a rub of tomato chutney and then have it with crackers.

Not frozen yet.  I bought a loaf of bread yesterday and some cheese (something called St Andre, brie like, and a Danish blue).  Dipped a lot of the bread in the chutney.  Today I tried it with eggs, because that seemed odd.  I boiled 5 eggs, cut them in half and put them in some chutney.  The chutney pretty much masked the flavor of the egg.

I'm not sure I simmered enough.  Mine's basically like a thick pasta sauce.  Damn good though.

Oh, and I may have scorched the chilis.  There's a sharp, bitter aftertaste that no one noticed but me.  I think it was the chilis.

I like the chiles to be almost burnt but not really.

It gives the chutney a great flavor, "charred and smoky" as Eric Asimov said in his review of Diwan where he ate this chutney with crab meat stuffed beggars purses.

I am not sure how strong the flavor can be if the chiles are burnt.. but a little burnt flavor works very well. :smile:

Boaziko,

I edited your post, just the image part, to correct the link.  It was not opening before.  Hope that is OK with you.

Thanks for the pic.  Are these the jars you canned?  Are you gifting them?  How many did you yield?

Thanks for sharing the photograph.  How sweet you are to give me credit on the label.  Thanks.:smile:

I do gift'em, I made about 8 Jars in various sizes, and yea they are canned.

"Eat every meal as if it's your first and last on earth" (Conrad Rosenblatt 1935)

Do you get nice and ripe tomatoes all year long?

Or is there a season when they are better?

How is the chutney being accepted by your friends? Is it too hot?

I make mine much hotter than what I share in the recipe, in fact the hotter you make it, the nicer the contrast I think between the acid, sugar and heat.

But at this level, it gives great pleasure without hurting too much.

Do you get nice and ripe tomatoes all year long?

Or is there a season when they are better?

How is the chutney being accepted by your friends? Is it too hot?

I make mine much hotter than what I share in the recipe, in fact the hotter you make it, the nicer the contrast I think between the acid, sugar and heat.

But at this level, it gives great pleasure without hurting too much.

During winter time we get Hot-house Tomatoes which are not as good as summer ones. We also have few varieties; the best quality all year round, I found out (and use) is cherry tomatoes.

All recipients are quite enjoying it. (Some enjoy it twice :wink: )

• 2 weeks later...
Just an update:  the 4th (Israeli) individual has made the STC* and still counting.

*Suvir's Tomato Chutney

Boaziko, you are very kind to keep us posted.

WOW! Thanks for making this tomato chutney seem to international.

If you are ever in NYC, do let me know.. I would love to share a bottle with you that I made... maybe you will like that...

Also I could arrange for you to have some good Indian food in NYC if you would like that. :smile:

• 2 months later...

FoodMan,

Your pictures had my mouth watering for the chutney. We had some with Dosas today for lunch.

My father was excited about the prospect of having home made Dosas. My sister made the best I have eaten thus far. The Sambhaar (the lentil and vegetable stew) and the Coconut Chutney were superlative. The potato filling she made was nice... not traditional, but tasty and fun. She had added peanuts into her potato filling. I have seen that in the past, but not something I do to mine.

The Dosas tasted great with the tomato chutney.

Makes me want to come back to NYC.. so I can make some more....

Query: Canned tomatoes for this raved-about chutney -- blasphemous in summer -- permitted in winter?

Reading all these posts today, I have barely been able keep the drool off my computer keyboard.... Right now I am watching the snow fall on Manhattan and wondering whether one can make a decent version of this chutney with canned tomatoes, e.g., Muir Glen brand (diced, or whole)....Anyone tried it yet?

With thanks to all who have contributed tips, acted as guinea pigs, and sent chortles down the wires.....

p.s. I've been eating Hampton Chutney Company's tomato chutney for some time now, delishuss on roasted cauliflower or with zucchini pancakes...Can't wait to try this one, however.