• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

BLT Steak & BLT Prime

Gastro888

I'm probably outing myself as a NYC noob by asking this but I was curious to know what exactly the difference is between BLT Steak and BLT Prime. I've never been to either one and would like to try a BLT to see how it is. I just don't know which one to try. (OK, I 'fess...the popovers are a draw, too). If someone could shed some light, it would be much appreciated!

BLT Prime is the old Union Pacific space (Rocco Dispirito's restaurant back when he actually cooked). It opened after BLT Steak when the space became available (I'm sure there were all sorts of investor and lease machinations that brought this about).

Last time I checked the menus were almost identical.

mmmmm, popovers!!!

i can't vouch for blt steak anymore as the chef i knew left. they still have original management in place though. it is formulaic, so it can't be too hard to screw up a meal there.

blt prime's exec chef is larry forgione's son. don't know if he's spending a lot of time there now as he's morphing into the 'corporate' chef for blt...since they're opening on average a restaurant a year, he's gonna be pretty busy!

(have they opened blt market yet? or is that still in the works?)

d.c.

dallas

vegas

los angeles

?

?

?

i can't vouch for blt steak anymore as the chef i knew left.  they still have original management in place though.  it is formulaic, so it can't be too hard to screw up a meal there.
It's interesting that you say that, as I thought BLT Steak was fairly innovative (by steakhouse standards). Obviously, the BLT clones are now repeating the pattern.
(have they opened blt market yet?  or is that still in the works?)

Still in the works.

Is it worth it to go to BLT to have a steak?  Yes, the popovers are a draw but if it's a steak at a BLT Prime/BLT Steak vs. a Peter Lugar steak, which should I choose?  My primary concern is quality over atmosphere.

If the one & only thing you want is a world-class porterhouse, you are more likely to get it at PL than anywhere else. Their whole operation is geared towards doing one thing (and practically nothing else) well.

I think the gap between them and other steakhouses has narrowed. On any given night there are a good half-dozen other places where you could quite conceivably have a Lugeresque porterhouse, without the hassles of going to Luger: long lead times for reservations, having to pay in cash, gruff wait staff, the trip to Williamsburg, etc., etc..

At BLT Steak & BLT Prime, they serve many other cuts besides porterhouse (though they have that too), along with excellent sides, a good seafood menu, so I think they are better overall restaurants.

Cool, thanks for the clarification. I needed advice like that so I can make my decision. I read on Washingtonpost.com that the DC branch of BLT wet-ages their meat and then cooks it at 1700 degrees. At those prices I don't want to pay for wet-aged meat because I feel that dry-aged is superior but I could be mistaken. Do all BLT's wet-age their meat?

Cool, thanks for the clarification.  I needed advice like that so I can make my decision.  I read on Washingtonpost.com that the DC branch of BLT wet-ages their meat and then cooks it at 1700 degrees.  At those prices I don't want to pay for wet-aged meat because I feel that dry-aged is superior but I could be mistaken.  Do all BLT's wet-age their meat?

Can't speak to specific menu items, but I'm pretty sure both BLT's have specific dry-aged items. It's likely that the others (not otherwise specified) are wet aged, if at all. Having eaten at BLT Prime, and generally liking Laurent Tourondel's food, I can tell you that as a pure steak place, neither BLT is in Luger's league.

And if you want a traditional steak there are a few others places I'd consider before the BLT's. However, if you want a more varied experience (i.e. a menu with other, more creative items, some seafood and chicken, etc.), then the BLT's are a good bet. If you're a real red meat guy, and want a great steak without leaving Manhattan, I'd also suggest you check out Strip House...their bone in Rib Eye (chop) is one of the best in NY. Also, the Luger offshoots (Ben and Jacks, Wolfgang's, etc.) should produce a fairly Luger-esque experience.

And if you want a traditional steak there are a few others places I'd consider before the BLT's.  However, if you want a more varied experience (i.e. a menu with other, more creative items, some seafood and chicken, etc.), then the BLT's are a good bet.  If you're a real red meat guy, and want a great steak without leaving Manhattan, I'd also suggest you check out Strip House...their bone in Rib Eye (chop) is one of the best in NY.  Also, the Luger offshoots (Ben and Jacks, Wolfgang's, etc.) should produce a fairly Luger-esque experience.

I think this perfectly states the merits of the BLT's versus other steakhouses.

And if you want a traditional steak there are a few others places I'd consider before the BLT's.  However, if you want a more varied experience (i.e. a menu with other, more creative items, some seafood and chicken, etc.), then the BLT's are a good bet.  If you're a real red meat guy, and want a great steak without leaving Manhattan, I'd also suggest you check out Strip House...their bone in Rib Eye (chop) is one of the best in NY.  Also, the Luger offshoots (Ben and Jacks, Wolfgang's, etc.) should produce a fairly Luger-esque experience.

I think this perfectly states the merits of the BLT's versus other steakhouses.