• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Three Days in London!

My 16 year old son and I are doing a quick trip to London -- Sunday to Wednesday. We're staying at Le Meridien Piccadilly, and will see Stonehenge (yes, Stonehenge, and we know it'll eat up a whole day), some Shakespeare (bummer; the Old Vic seems to have nothing for the time we're there), and some other theater. He's already given two thumbs down to Naked Harry Potter, because the idea of Equus upsets him.

His only food requirement is "authentic" fish & chips! What do you-all recommend? We also want to visit IceBar for just a bit (Absolut is one of Mr. FBs clients), and would rather not do a lot of fancy dining. Which has nothing to do with fish & chips, I realize.

"Oh, tuna. Tuna, tuna, tuna." -Andy Bernard, The Office

Great Fish and Chips at Le Caprice ( near the Ritz) andScotts (in mayfair on Mount Street) Both pretty Glitzy and celeb packed if your sun is into that kind of thing, absolutely delicious - Fish n Chips about $30. Otherwise The Fryers Delight is an old traditional chippy on The Theobalds Rd (near Holborn tube station) - Takeaway and eat out of the bag or eat in the small cafe at the back there it would be more like $10 each, again deliciuos but about as unglitzy as it gets. The icebar is great fun- try to book early or go at the beginning of a day and reserve for a later session as there is always a queue, $25 for adult entry !/2 that for a child if they are having non alcoholic drink, Enjoy!

"Experience is something you gain just after you needed it" ....A Wise man

My 16 year old son and I are doing a quick trip to London -- Sunday to Wednesday.  We're staying at Le Meridien Piccadilly, and will see Stonehenge (yes, Stonehenge, and we know it'll eat up a whole day), some Shakespeare (bummer; the Old Vic seems to have nothing for the time we're there), and some other theater.  He's already given two thumbs down to Naked Harry Potter, because the idea of Equus upsets him.

His only food requirement is "authentic" fish & chips!  What do you-all recommend?  We also want to visit IceBar for just a bit (Absolut is one of Mr. FBs clients), and would rather not do a lot of fancy dining.  Which has nothing to do with fish & chips, I realize.

FFB, I love the North Sea fish resto near Russell Square tube but I just checked a few websites and there are some dud reviews from about last August. Maybe an egulleter has been there since as I haven't??

My 16 year old son and I are doing a quick trip to London -- Sunday to Wednesday.  We're staying at Le Meridien Piccadilly, and will see Stonehenge (yes, Stonehenge, and we know it'll eat up a whole day), some Shakespeare (bummer; the Old Vic seems to have nothing for the time we're there), and some other theater.  He's already given two thumbs down to Naked Harry Potter, because the idea of Equus upsets him.

His only food requirement is "authentic" fish & chips!  What do you-all recommend?  We also want to visit IceBar for just a bit (Absolut is one of Mr. FBs clients), and would rather not do a lot of fancy dining.  Which has nothing to do with fish & chips, I realize.

BTWyou do know equus is pretty much about beastiality? Why not try Spamalot instead? :biggrin:

Seafresh Fish Restaurant

80-81 Wilton Road, Victoria & Pimlico

SW1V 1DL

Pimlico

7828 0747

"There has been a paint job and the nets have gone from this long-established chippy, but not much else has changed. Seafresh attracts commuters, American tourists and characters seemingly out of a Joseph Connolly novel. Fish soup is a house speciality and comes peppery and bursting with white fish chunks, prawns, celery and baby mussels. Smoked salmon, calamares, and avocado with prawns are alternative first courses. The usual fish options arrive in a tasty golden batter or can be grilled for a few pence extra. Our haddock was all that was expected of it, and came accompanied by thick, crisp, golden chips and a fragrantly pickled cucumber the size of a rugby ball (well, almost). Puddings include Italian ice-cream and sherry trifle."

Not quite the same vibe as Scott's or Le Caprice (or J Sheekey), but not bad when I ate there a month ago.

For Shakespeare, your best bet might be The Novello

http://www.thisistheatre.com/londonshows/tempest.html

saw the (now closed) Antony and Cleopatra, which didn't do much for me, but The Tempest might be a better bet.

Edited by algy (log)

BTWyou do know equus is pretty much about beastiality? Why not try Spamalot instead? :biggrin:

Yeah -- that's the issue the kid has with it, plus this: "Why would I want to see naked men?" He does make sense.

We're trying for Spamalot. Obviously, we won't have enough time. What were we thinking, three days??? :rolleyes:

Great Fish and Chips at Le Caprice ( near the Ritz) andScotts (in mayfair on Mount Street) Both pretty Glitzy and celeb packed if your sun is into that kind of thing,

Thank you! He would enjoy seeing some bar-party-girls, I think, but his day would be made with John Cleese or celebs of that sort.

algy, this sounds like my kind of place, too:

Seafresh Fish Restaurant [snip snip]

a fragrantly pickled cucumber the size of a rugby ball

We'll check out the Novello, thank you.

At one point, Mason (my kid) thought it might be fun to try and stay on US time, and eat the majority of our meals in all-night pubs. Yeah, it's weird, and he knows it. But if we get food-lag at 3 a.m., it could work!

At one point, Mason (my kid) thought it might be fun to try and stay on US time, and eat the majority of our meals in all-night pubs.  Yeah, it's weird, and he knows it.  But if we get food-lag at 3 a.m., it could work!

My sons have operated on this basis for some years now - the only difference being that they don't have to fly in from the States to make it work.

My sons have operated on this basis for some years now - the only difference being that they don't have to fly in from the States to make it work.

:laugh::laugh::laugh: Sounds like my kind of guys! Too funny. (I'm assuming there is decent bar food to be found? I've got a small window of time where the kid will actually go someplace with me, and am trying to maximize it)

If I had to choose between bestiality and the Absolut Ice Bar - I'm afraid it would be bestiality every time.

I told the kid this, and he said, "oh, is this an example of that dry Brit humor we hear so much about?" Smartass (him, not you. Well, maybe you.)

a visit to the Globe, Shakespeare's theatre, is really worthwhile FFB

..sorry I'm lazy I've cut and pasted the info below:

Open all year round, Shakespeare’s Globe Exhibition is the world’s largest exhibition devoted to Shakespeare and the London in which he lived and worked.

Housed in the vast UnderGlobe beneath the theatre, the exhibition explores the remarkable story of Sam Wanamaker’s struggle to rebuild the Globe and brings Shakespeare’s world to life using a range of interactive displays and live demonstrations.

Find out how special effects were produced in Shakespeare’s time; join the cast and add your voice to a scene played by Globe actors; watch a sword-fighting display; see a working printing press in action or discover how actors are dressed in Elizabethan clothing. An exhibition visit and theatre tour lasts about one and a half hours.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PS if you hire a car Stonehenge is only an hour and a half or so from London, an easy drive on a main road, and you could spend time and be back in a half day or so. (I live an hour or so further on and pass it regularly, never seen it busy)

PPS just read a review of a superb Othello but not in London, unfortunately :sad:

Trying to be a bit cultural, I would have to say that a walk around St. Pual's nCathedral is an incredible experience - the architecture is truly spectacular. I would also recommend a trip on the London Eye, it is a great way to get a feel for how the City is laid out, and on a good day you can see all the way to Heathrow.

If a man makes a statement and a woman is not around to witness it, is he still wrong?

First, thank you all so much for these suggestions. We nearly had to cancel this trip and only decided a week or so ago to carry on with our plans; it's been pretty hectic and very exciting. Having such a network to call on has made this planning fun, instead of stressful!

Stonehenge's inner circle may not happen (I've got the AmEx people working on it but so far, nothing), but hiring a car sounds like a plan. As do(does?) the Globe, and the Eye. I'm assuming that's like a GrayLine tour? :biggrin:

How cool!! This post is of great interest to me because I am taking my 16 year old daughter to London for a week in April. We are staying at The Beaufort Hotel in Knightbridge.

Seeing a naked Harry Potter is on the TOP of her list!! (She does want to see Equus anyway because she likes all kinds of theatre. She is a New York actor/theatre kid and has worked with Caryl Churchill and Stephen Daldry in NY). Next on her list is Stonehenge inner circle and Stratford-upon-Avon. (Our kids sound so much alike). We are going to do some of the must-see sites such as the London Eye, St Paul's, Tower of London, Churchill War Rooms, Glob.....if there is time. I am looking into some walking tours.

But my daughter is a picky eater, so if she is happy food-wise, I am happy and that will make for a very pleasant trip. A fish and chips meal is a must so I am considering all the recommendations here. She would like to experience some pubs. Any suggestions for teen/family friendly pubs with great food.....yes, all night pubs as well!!

We also plan to visit some markets and food stalls at some of the great London stores for some meals. Are there any off-the-beaten track restaurants and/or activities that teens would enjoy?

Seems like we will need 3 weeks to explore all we would like to see.

First, thank you all so much for these suggestions.  We nearly had to cancel this trip and only decided a week or so ago to carry on with our plans; it's been pretty hectic and very exciting.  Having such a network to call on has made this planning fun, instead of stressful!

Stonehenge's inner circle may not happen (I've got the AmEx people working on it but so far, nothing), but hiring a car sounds like a plan.  As do(does?) the Globe, and the Eye.  I'm assuming that's like a GrayLine tour?  :biggrin:

Its the big ferris wheel on the thames that takes about 45 mins to do a full circuit and you can (on a good day) see all of london - google the british airways london eye for more info - really is unbeatable though

Its the big ferris wheel on the thames that takes about 45 mins to do a full circuit and you can (on a good day) see all of london - google the british airways london eye for more info - really is unbeatable though

Geez, could I be any more of a dork? thank you--

So far, all we've got booked is Ice Bar on Sunday afternoon. No Spamalot tix to be found, but I'll keep pushing.