• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pork Cracking

Dave Hatfield

I have a very large quantity for nice pork skin as a result of doing two whole pigs with a group of friends last weekend.

We used quite a lot in various ways. (the whole episode will be the subject of a separate post as soon as I get time)

I've got the best of the rest and want to make crackling. Unfortunately, in the past my results have been pretty spotty. Sometimes good, but often not.

I'm looking for what people feel are the best techniques to make nice crispy cracking.

I'll try anything within reason.

All suggestions appreciated.

Thats a great situation to be in.. I made some the other day and I salted the skin and let it rest for a couple hours.. Then I fried in oil..

I have also seen people boil it for 15 minutes before frying..

I would love to see photos...

Also if you can get green plantains where you live i would fry the plantains, then mash them with garlic and the fried pork skin... Look up recipes for mofongo its a really nice dish..

If anyone has the Au Pied De Cochon cook book there was a really interesting recipe with fried skins..

Pork crackling is definately one of those things that chef's can't agree on!

I've seen chef x say to not put anything on the skin and just score it, another chef y will say add salt, and chef z will say to add salt and olive oil!

In Heston Blumenthal's book, full on food, he says that you can achieve perfect crackling by trimming off just the skin on its own and placing it in the microwave, I can't say i've tried it, however!

Over the last couple of weeks I've had great and I mean great success with the skin from hocks doing the following:

Bathe in olive oil salt and pepper. Stuff (like kind of make a sandwich) with garlic thyme and shallot. Roast on a rack for three hours at a low temperature and then finish at a high temp for thirty or forty minutes. Almost bready consistency (if the bread were impregnated with delicious pork fat.

I always thought it was called crackling or cracklin'. Anybody know?

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

I always thought it was called crackling or cracklin'.  Anybody know?

Ned Think you're right. crackling or cracklin. My lousy typing strikes again.

Thanks to all for the advice. I'll try doing my crackling your ways.

When I slow-roasted a picnic shoulder, the butcher scored the skin in 1" diamonds. It's a good thing, too, since it was delicious but, in the spots he didn't score, I had to use pliers over a potholder to break the pieces off.

The fat under the skin was amazing, but probably excessive. Unless you like your double-sauteed pork extra fatty and warn the pastrami slicer not to lose any fat, it's better to follow davecap's advice and render some of it out. Not all of it, though.

Very hot oven, big baking tray with cake cooling racks placed inside. Rub Maldon Rock salt into scored skin ensureing there is no excess salt on the surface of the skin. Place in oven. Cook until you have crackling.

The cake cooling rack allows the excess fat to disappear. The salt going into the cracks enables it to become crispy.

Sometimes I pouring boiling water over the skin and leave for ten minutes before rubbing the salt.

Enjoy