• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Hot Dish

Malawry

I think what people mean by "hot dish" depends on their location. What does it mean where you are?

I am from North Carolina, and I am familiar with the "covered dish," but am not so sure what a "hot dish" means. Especially in the context of, say, a luncheon. I was just asked, "Can you serve a hot dish?" for somebody hosting a birthday luncheon for an 80 year old lady--which made me realize that this might mean different things to different people.

:smile:

By my Midwestern understanding, hot (or covered; I've heard both terms) dishes are either sustenance for sick/shut-in folks who can't shop or fix for themselves, or kindly gifts for bereaved families around the time of the funerals, to save them the effort of fussing around the kitchen at such a sad time. Ingredients tend to be sturdy enough to survive two or more reheatings safely -- sauced/seasoned/cheese-laden pasta/vegetable casserole combinations and such would comprise one (but not the only) huge category of the genre.

The terms seem to be associated with suburban/rural areas, but I can tell you that the tradition is alive and thriving in Chicago and environs: I remember the sign-up list that was passed around with brisk efficiency when a cellist friend who also sings in our church choir was immobilized temporarily by hip-replacement surgery. She never ate such a variety of home cooking in her life, I suspect.

:biggrin:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

By my Midwestern understanding, hot (or covered; I've heard both terms) dishes are either sustenance for sick/shut-in folks who can't shop or fix for themselves, or kindly gifts for bereaved families around the time of the funerals, to save them the effort of fussing around the kitchen at such a sad time.  Ingredients tend to be sturdy enough to survive two or more reheatings safely -- sauced/seasoned/cheese-laden pasta/vegetable casserole combinations and such would comprise one (but not the only) huge category of the genre.

:biggrin:

I can agree with that definition.

Here in Minnesota hot dish is associated with church suppers, potlucks and funerals. It's joked that a real hotdish must contain at least one can of Campbells Cream of Lutheran Soup! :biggrin:

SB ("casseroles" are considered "uppity" :rolleyes: )

Edited by srhcb (log)

And I thought all Minnesota hot dishes had to have tater tots in them! :laugh:

I'd never heard of a hotdish until I went to university in Northern Minnesota - creamy and starchy casserole is what I think of.

And I always thought it was a comedic device invented by Garrison Keillor (perhaps involving Powder Milk biscuits and ketchup). :laugh:

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

And I always thought it was a comedic device invented by Garrison Keillor (perhaps involving Powder Milk biscuits and ketchup). :laugh:

And rhubarb.

It's a casserole. And having just typed that word, can any of the many smarties here give me the etymology of casserole?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

And rhubarb.

It's a casserole. And having just typed that word, can any of the many smarties here give me the etymology of casserole?

Yes, it began with leftovers and evolved from there. period.

And rhubarb.

casseroles are dishes for making cassolets. (and DO NOT contain Campbells soup)

SB :rolleyes:

:cool:

A casserole is a dish, and also a casserole is the composed combination of foods that will go in that dish to be baked or perhaps broiled, like a gratin, before eating -- but that may be after considerable transport and/or a spell in the freezer.

Which is the clue you may be waiting for, Madamethecat: a casserole is a dish in which the food is carried, yes?

:wink:

Me, I vote for the joyride every time.

-- 2/19/2004

And I thought all Minnesota hot dishes had to have tater tots in them!  :laugh:

I'd never heard of a hotdish until I went to university in Northern Minnesota - creamy and starchy casserole is what I think of.

The first Hot Dish I ever made( and still make) is a Tater Tot hot dish. My ex's mom gave me the recipe( they're from Minnesota).

I've changed it up a bit, using ground turkey instead of beef, adding mushrooms, onions, etc.

My sister now makes it( she lives in Florida) and my neice up here in Canada absolutely loves it. I entered it in a recipe contest for turkey products and I won 100 bucks. LOLOLOLOL.

Edited by CaliPoutine (log)

Especially in the context of, say, a luncheon. I was just asked, "Can you serve a hot dish?" for somebody hosting a birthday luncheon for an 80 year old lady--which made me realize that this might mean different things to different people.

I think in that case, they're asking you if you can serve a hot entree. Instead of say soup/salad.

At my work, we host lunches for a theater guild and the women are always wanting a hot dish in the winter. The last lunch we served chicken ala king in puff pasty cups with a really great mixed green salad, fruit and assorted desserts.

I haven't been living in this area all that long, and the lady in question sounds like a native. I will of course flesh out what she's looking for at this luncheon, but it occurred to me when she used this term that it might mean different things to different people--a thought that's been borne out by responses in this thread. :smile: