• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toast toppings

zpzjessica

Soft fresh tub butter I buy from Hatville Deli PA Dutch stand at Reading Terminal Market.

And thank you for reminding me I need to make another batch of Toast Dope! :wub:

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

peanut butter, butter, jam, nutella, cream cheese, mayo, mustard, chutney(s), garlic, pesto, cheddar cheese, mozzarella, eggs, leftover pasta sauce...jeez, I don't thing there's anything I won't put on a piece of toast.

(Butter and) Pate (as in 'patay', not someone's head). Chicken liver pate ! Pork liver pate ! Yes ! I make one or the other pretty regularly

Butter and slices of parmiggiano-reggiano

(Butter and) Taramasalata. Mmm !

(Butter and) bacon, sliced raw tomato and another layer of buttered toast (hot tea to go with it).

Mature, strong cheddar (melted or as it is)

Marcella Hazan's tomato-butter pasta sauce

(Butter and) Tinned sardines and fresh ground black pepper (hot tea with this too)

(Butter and) My home-made natsumikan marmalade

(Butter and) Pesto

And not forgetting: baked beans; scrambled eggs; butter & marmite; and a cast of thousands

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

hot toasted vogelbread (the NZ sort) with butter and vegemite

hot toasted sourdough with butter, salt and white pepper

cold toasted pain de campagne with homemade fig jam and greek yoghurt....hmmm excuse me a minute, I need to go to the kitchen :smile:

Peanut butter with melted chocolate (I just nuke a few chocolate chips).

Peanut butter with cinnamon sugar.

Butter and jam. Sweet and buttery.

This isn't exactly a toast topping, but I like to cut a hole out of the bread, crack an egg into it, and then fry it up in garlic oil. It's one of my favorite get-home-late, too-tired-to-cook dinners.

Ripe avocado smushed into a spread, salt, pepper, and hot sauce.

Never, ever butter and jelly/jam.

Really? :huh:

I think the saltiness of the melted butter goes nicely with a sweet jelly/jam. :smile:

SB (especially a nice homemade wild strawberry jam :wub: )

That made me think of one of my favorites, kind of a 'dessert' after a bacon and egg breakfast. Slice of toast, buttered, usually with grape jelly or strawberry preserves, and some bacon on top..... Sweet, salty, fatty, carbs.... yummy!

"Fat is money." (Per a cracklings maker shown on Dirty Jobs.)

"The smell of buttered toast simply talked to Toad, and with no uncertain voice; talked of warm kitchens, of breakfasts on bright frosty mornings, of cosy parlour firesides on winter evenings, when one's ramble ws over and slippered feet were propped up on the fender; of the purring of contented cats, and the twitter of sleepy canaries."

Kenneth Grahame, Wind in the Willows

Good butter, with good toast, is a simple perfection that can rise in a mythic way above its ingredients, really.

But then of course, a bit (or more) of poached marrow is never astray on toast.

Or even a luscious spread of fresh ricotta well topped with scatterings of punguent fresh cracked black pepper and slivers of herbs from the garden.

Toast is a little square door that you can hold in your hand that leads to heaven.

:smile:

:smile:

I liked it momentarily but find that now another voice is speaking to me (you know, in my head :laugh: ).

It's saying

Caaaaaaaaa veeeeeee aaaaaaaaaarrrrrr. rrrrrr. RRRRrrrrr.

Caaaaaaa veeee arrrrr.

(There's a pop tune in the background with the words dimly heard "I hear you callin' me. . .")

:raz:

Caviar on toast might be like finding the Devil in Heaven.

Lovely.

Devon cream butter (salted) and homemade apricot jam

Eggs-in-a-Hole

Scrambled eggs with scallions or (on that rare occasion) white truffles

I haven't tried the butter and honey, but I just bought some Manuka honey and I have an unopened jar of Tupelo in the pantry...