• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toast toppings

zpzjessica

Gee, guys! Almost EVERYTHING mentioned here is wonderful on toast to me.

I tried to make toast dope once, but it hurt a lot to zest the fruit, and Kiddle can't zest well, so-I suppose we're not zesty here? :rolleyes:

Rebecca - if you will PM me your address, I will mail you some toast dope - it is Not To Be Missed! Kim

Always love home made chunky peanut butter ...however I just discovered marshmallow making so I have been putting a marshmallow on top of the peanut butter and toasting it under the broiler!!! Freaking stick to your face scrumptious!

why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet 

Always love home made chunky peanut butter ...however I just discovered marshmallow making so I have been putting a marshmallow on top of the peanut butter and toasting it under the broiler!!! Freaking stick to your face scrumptious!

I do the marshmallow thing with chocolate bread. Smores!

May

Totally More-ish: The New and Improved Foodblog

mmmm...a ton of butter, and Gouda cheese sliced precisely 1/8" thick - thin enough to get soft and melty, thick enough to still be "bite-able" - precious childhood memories of Opa and Oma, that!

i'm also getting into making my own pate - I'm doing a fine chicken liver pate with apples & onions that works very nicely on toast; being as I'm the only one in the house who will eat the stuff it's good to have a way of having lots at once!

Butter and lingonberry preserves.

The quintessential trio of bacon, lettuce and tomato.

Tomato, fresh mozzarella, and a bunch of cracked pepper.

Cinnamon & sugar, of course!

And sometimes nothing is more perfect than toast slathered with butter, served with a steamy mug of hot tea.

The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again.

~George Miller

Baked beans, eggs, bacon, tomatoes, tuna salad, salmon salad, cinnamon and sugar, PB and J, roasted or fried meats, kippers, sardines, cold cuts, ham, meatloaf, hamburger patties, cheddar, olives, olive oil, garlic, salt, butter, antipasto, roasted peppers, roasted eggplant, various left overs, cheeze whiz, any thing I can think of.

hummus, preferably spicy with red peppers

any sort of good cheese, melted under the broiler

soft cream cheese with lots of green olive chunks in it

slices of warm hard boiled egg and salt and pepper

butter and Williams Sonoma candied ginger preserve

butter and a bit of honey

butter and beach plum jelly

peanut buttered, then covered with slices of dill pickle

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.

1. Butter. And jam. Cherry, blueberry, peach, mango/pineapple - it matters not a fig. Fig, too.

2. Ricotta drizzled with honey.

3. Johnnybird's dope. Thanks for that new one!

**Looking out window at snow. Heading into kitchen looking for bread.**

Hiya hsm,

Just out of curiosity, is this just fresh ricotta spread on the toast with honey? The reason I ask is that I find ricotta bland as hell and always mix it with looots of salt until it tastes lovely. However if it is on toast with honey it is more like a desert so perhaps this isn't an issue?

Guess there's only one way to find out :-).

Hiya hsm,

Just out of curiosity, is this just fresh ricotta spread on the toast with honey? The reason I ask is that I find ricotta bland as hell and always mix it with looots of salt until it tastes lovely. However if it is on toast with honey it is more like a desert so perhaps this isn't an issue?

Guess there's only one way to find out :-).

Yes and it's the best way to find out.

My ricotta is fresh if I've been to the Italian deli, otherwise, it's...not. (Now that I know how relatively easy it is to make, that may change). And there's usually coarse, med and fine grinds of sea salt nearby the toaster oven, so when in need - indeed.

I have to add: fresh pecorino and honey. (We hauled a kilo back from Pienza last year and life just hasn't been the same.)

Edited by hsm (log)

Lashings of butter followed by tons of homemade thick cut Seville orange marmalade. Mmmmmmmmmmmm :wub:

"Flay your Suffolk bought-this-morning sole with organic hand-cracked pepper and blasted salt. Thrill each side for four minutes at torchmark haut. Interrogate a lemon. Embarrass any tough roots from the samphire. Then bamboozle till it's al dente with that certain je ne sais quoi."

Arabella Weir as Minty Marchmont - Posh Nosh

Peanut butter!

Fried egg with runny yolks!

Liver Pate!

Any cold meat (salami, bologna, ham, etc.)!!!!

I love open-faced sandwiches.

Doddie aka Domestic Goddess

"Nobody loves pork more than a Filipino"

eGFoodblog: Adobo and Fried Chicken in Korea

The dark side... my own blog: A Box of Jalapenos

These were probably mentioned early upthread, but not together, I don't think. And with good reason! When I was growing up was would have butter and avocado, with salt and pepper, on toast. Very tasty, but would not be a good idea today.

* tinned whole tomatoes, cooked down to a thick "paste" in the presence of bacon fat (or butter, for the vegetarian crowd)

* Hackepeter

* poached egg (who mentioned "spreadable egg yolk"? I am SO with you!)

* and the only sweet I like on toast...Silver Shred

Many of my favorites have been covered--runny egg yolk, butter and jam, butter and marmalade, marrow, caviar, egg salad, all manner of cheeses. . . but two combos that haven't been explicitly mentioned (as far as I can tell) are:

Butter AND Peanut butter

Sourdough toast with butter and lemon curd

Those two are my very favorites, and the ones I have most often. I have yet to make toast dope, though I've been meaning to for well over a year since I first read about it. I suspect that will be another fave when I finally get around to it.

Homemade jam

Really, really stinky cheese (any cheese, really, but those especially)

Canned tomatoes, cold and straight from the can.

Bacon. Baconbaconbaconbacon.

Any other cured meat, in the absence of bacon.

Garden fresh tomatoes.

Roasted garlic

Sardines

Anchovies

Tapenade

Hummus

Muhammara

Leftover romesco sauce.

Leftover pasta sauce.

All the gravy left on my plate, the pan the gravy was prepared in, my kids' abandoned plates...you get the idea.

The drippings in the bottom of the roaster.

Sambal Oelek (nothing like a sambal sandwich to wake you up in the morning!)

Whatever leftovers the fridge yields, tossed into the frying pan with an egg.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Most days it's soft goat cheese topped with cherry preserves or orange marmalade. Other days it's soft goat cheese topped with sundried or fresh tomato, fresh basil, sweet onion and a grind of black pepper.

For you cinnamon toast lovers, try this: after toasting, butter and then add cinnamon/sugar - then put under the broiler and carmelize (careful so it doesn't burn!) -

I use the same technique for garlic cheese toast - toast, butter, garlic powder, and mozzarella (not fresh - too much liquid run-off) and/or parmesan - broil til bubbly

On a consistent basis - gobs of good butter, a nice all fruit spread (preferably homemade) or cheese - tons of cheese. Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

Whoever said that man cannot live by bread alone...simply did not know me.

Most days it's soft goat cheese topped with cherry preserves or orange marmalade. Other days it's soft goat cheese topped with sundried or fresh  tomato, fresh basil, sweet onion and a grind of black pepper.

that sounds like a great idea.....I'll try that tomorrow morning!

Ooh, last night I had some extremely delicious toast. I had been intending to slow roast some plum tomatoes for a pasta sauce, but I got started much later than expected, and so once I was done I didn't even want to bother with pasta. Instead I grabbed some sourdough toast, spread it with butter, and simply stuck the roasted tomato halves on top. Heaven!

Yesterday, as I was picking up sausages and bacon at the Cash & Carry department of a local wholesale meat distributor, I noticed jars of Ornas Herrgard Lingon Berry Preserves being incongruously offered along with the meat products, so I bought some.

I can report that Lingon Berry is excellent when thinly spread on toasted, liberally buttered English Muffin Bread!

SB :biggrin:

I can vouch that toast dope is fabulous-was inspired to make some a while back after reading about it. I used some Cinnamon Plus from Pampered Chef and it was great.

Avocado mashed with sugar

Plain buttered toast dunked into a cup of hot chocolate

Cheese - milk's leap toward immortality. Clifton Fadiman