• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toast toppings

zpzjessica

:smile:

I liked it momentarily but find that now another voice is speaking to me (you know, in my head :laugh: ).

It's saying

Caaaaaaaaa veeeeeee aaaaaaaaaarrrrrr. rrrrrr. RRRRrrrrr.

Caaaaaaa veeee arrrrr.

(There's a pop tune in the background with the words dimly heard "I hear you callin' me. . .")

:raz:

Caviar on toast might be like finding the Devil in Heaven.

Lovely.

Hah, are we thinking of the same song?

"Ca-vi-aaar, I feel the magic between you and I-ahh-ah-ah" <----That bit is sung with passion.

Please take a quick look at my stuff.

Flickr foods

Blood Sugar

Toast is a little square door that you can hold in your hand that leads to heaven.

:smile:

Maybe that's why we call the act of proposing or of drinking in honor of something or someone a toast? :biggrin:

Actually, the usage derives from an old practice of using pieces of spiced toast to flavor drinks, according to Merriam-Webster. :huh:

I like to dunk toast in soup, leaving a faint oil slick from the butter :wink:

SB (thinks it's funny that "dunking" and "toasting" are pretty near opposite means of exhibiting your feelings about another person? :rolleyes: )

No.1 choice: Frank Cooper's Oxford Vintage Coarse-Cut Marmalade

No. 2 : Peanut-butter and jam/honey

No. 3 : NZ Marmite (I'm Canadian, by the way)

Frank Cooper's was a bit hard to come by in North America, but now that I live in England things have improved (though not as much as I had expected!).

1. Butter. And jam. Cherry, blueberry, peach, mango/pineapple - it matters not a fig. Fig, too.

2. Ricotta drizzled with honey.

3. Johnnybird's dope. Thanks for that new one!

**Looking out window at snow. Heading into kitchen looking for bread.**

"Ca-vi-aaar, I feel the magic between you and I-ahh-ah-ah" <----That bit is sung with passion.

No, I don't know that one. But I bet, with a bottle of champagne between us, we might invent a good "rounds song". :biggrin: A bite of caviar, a bite of toast, a sip of champagne, a verse of song first from one song then the other. . .and so on and so forth, till allllll the caviar (and toast, of course!) was gone. :smile:

With all the braised pigs feet that have been ending up in the frdge, I've been enjoying a salad of minced pigs foot with olive oil, lots of pepper, garlic, parsley and sea salt on thinly sliced and toasted potato bread from Balthazar Bakery.

You shouldn't eat grouse and woodcock, venison, a quail and dove pate, abalone and oysters, caviar, calf sweetbreads, kidneys, liver, and ducks all during the same week with several cases of wine. That's a health tip.

Jim Harrison from "Off to the Side"

No, I don't know that one. But I bet, with a bottle of champagne between us, we might invent a good "rounds song". :biggrin: A bite of caviar, a bite of toast, a sip of champagne, a verse of song first from one song then the other. . .and so on and so forth, till allllll the caviar (and toast, of course!) was gone. :smile:

I'm sure my Sister of refined and expensive taste would be pleased to join you in an ode of homage to two of her favorites, cavair and champagne. :smile:

As an added bonus, her degrees in Philosophy and Latin, and her occupational background in cooking and catering, add both a lofty and practical touch to festivities she participates in. :biggrin:

SB (not much for either caviar or champagne himself) :raz: (much to his Sister's advantage) :wink:

butter alone or with the fav jam/preserves of the moment.

peanut butter and honey

cream cheese and orange marmalade

smoked salmon

onion confit

dunked in any almost any soup i'm eating.

and ooooh yes, i have to agree... a hot liquid egg yolk is divine. poached is my favorite. :wub:

Judith Love

North of the 30th parallel

One woman very courteously approached me in a grocery store, saying, "Excuse me, but I must ask why you've brought your dog into the store." I told her that Grace is a service dog.... "Excuse me, but you told me that your dog is allowed in the store because she's a service dog. Is she Army or Navy?" Terry Thistlewaite

THought of something that might go really well on top of toasts.. Havent made it yet.. Wanted to make some type of quail hash and have a lighty fried loose quail egg on top.. Or maybe some sort of rich stewed quail in a quail and wine sauce topped with the egg..

Oysters are good, really like Welsh Rare Bit, Cold Rabbit or Duck Pate or Rillettes, Breasola and Ricotta is very good,PDutch chicken salad with horseraddish cheddar, and of course hot turkey with gravy is always good..

Toast is a subject close to my heart.

Faves include:

Sourdough toast soliders with runny egg yolk

Pumpkin & rice loaf- double toasted, smeared with avocado and tahini

Whole wheat toast with melted sharp cheddar and a dash of L & P's W sauce...sometimes this one gets a tomato

Fluffy shoku pan (Japanese wonder bread) toasted with the butter on the toast in the oven toaster and thin layer of strawberry jam

Toast with kaya

Toast with half kaya and half nutella

But the winner is fresh baguettes lightly toasted with lots of butter and vegemite.

Guily admission: in uni, I ate toasted pumperknickel with cheese whiz almost every day for a year.

"Thy food shall be thy medicine" -Hippocrates

Peanut butter, or if I'm feeling extravagant then vegemite spread sparingly (vegemite gets a bad rap, which I think is because most people get this part wrong) over buttered toast.

Gentleman's Relish (Patum Pepperium)

Yes! I love the stuff, but you can imagine the strange looks I got from shop assistants when I tried searching for it here in Australia.

Dr. Zoidberg: Goose liver? Fish eggs? Where's the goose? Where's the fish?

Elzar: Hey, that's what rich people eat. The garbage parts of the food.

My blog: The second pancake

I don't really have anything to add that hasn't been already mentioned, but:

No.1 choice: Frank Cooper's Oxford Vintage Coarse-Cut Marmalade

Probably my favourite marmalade - perfect, really.

Cutting the lemon/the knife/leaves a little cathedral:/alcoves unguessed by the eye/that open acidulous glass/to the light; topazes/riding the droplets,/altars,/aromatic facades. - Ode to a Lemon, Pablo Neruda

lousy, sleety, freezing rain here so...

just put a set of portugese sweet bread to rise. when it comes out of the oven and is still warm but cool enough to cut smear with some butter and johnnybird has to make more toast dope

in september nice whole wheat toast, a slap of miracle whip and a thickish slice of a really ripe tomato

a good baguette with tapenade and smoked salmon - preferably from Perona Farm

but sometimes just butter and strawberry jam

Nothing is better than frying in lard.

Nothing.  Do not quote me on this.

Linda Ellerbee

Take Big Bites

With all the braised pigs feet that have been ending up in the frdge, I've been enjoying a salad of minced pigs foot with olive oil, lots of pepper, garlic, parsley and sea salt on thinly sliced and toasted potato bread from Balthazar Bakery.

Would you mind telling your fridge I say "Happy Valentine's Day" to it? I feel that I love it, in this moment.

Gee, guys! Almost EVERYTHING mentioned here is wonderful on toast to me.

I tried to make toast dope once, but it hurt a lot to zest the fruit, and Kiddle can't zest well, so-I suppose we're not zesty here? :rolleyes:

I like to make a salad/spread of mashed garbanzo beans mixed with roughly chopped onions and tomatoes, dressed with lemon juice, olive oil, salt, basil and cumin. I prefer my toast dark, and I adore spreading this stuff on it, and then biting in! It's really extra wonderful if you immediately top it all with a lightly fried egg, and you prick the yolk to run all into the spread beneath. Delicious, really. :wub:

Actually, I like anything on toast. I'm easy.

Edited because: It being a bad Valentine's day for me, it seems that I am having Freudian issues with the word prick. :laugh:

Edited by Rebecca263 (log)

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Does crostini count?

jinmyo, in the "Dinner!" discussion, posted a meal that included stewed tomatoes mixed with canned cannellini beans served on garlic crostini.

I used Italian-seasoned canned stewed tomatoes heated with the beans (rinse the beans first to get that "gunk" off). I mashed about half the mixture to provide more body to it. It thickened up quite nicely. Once heated, serve on garlic crostini.

Practically a meal in itself and quite good.

“Peter: Oh my god, Brian, there's a message in my Alphabits. It says, 'Oooooo.'

Brian: Peter, those are Cheerios.”

– From Fox TV’s “Family Guy”

Tim Oliver

Tons of cinnamon sugar. Now it has to be done properly. High ratio of cinnamon* to sugar. The bread is toasted first of course. Well done, none of this rare stuff. The type of bread is important but a mere vehicle to support the cinnamon joy. And no loitering when it pops up out of the toaster. If you don't hurry the butter won't melt, it's a carefully timed performance. Then buttered, so all of the surface is covered and the butter disappears into the depths, then a deep deep layer of cinnamon sugar, so that it will still crunch in your teeth with every bite :wub: and you have to hold the slice upright lest glistening goodness slide off and be gone.

Oh my god, my husband buttered and cinnamon-ed before toasting--can you say soggy mess? Pu-uhlee-ease!

:biggrin:

*Saigon cinnamon might be applied a little lighter...but maybe not either...

Edited by K8memphis (log)