• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Toast toppings

zpzjessica

I like butter plus apricot jam, topped with a slice of prosciutto, though that technically may be outside of what you're asking.

Overheard at the Zabar’s prepared food counter in the 1970’s:

Woman (noticing a large bowl of cut fruit): “How much is the fruit salad?”

Counterman: “Three-ninety-eight a pound.”

Woman (incredulous, and loud): “THREE-NINETY EIGHT A POUND ????”

Counterman: “Who’s going to sit and cut fruit all day, lady… YOU?”

Newly updated: my online food photo extravaganza; cook-in/eat-out and photos from the 70's

Heinz Baked Beans doused with Worcestershire sauce, supplemented by Lingam's sweet chilli sauce..add a poached egg, if really hungry...also a couple of super crunchy Rick's Picks Wasabeans (pickled beans in wasabi).

Otherwise a good mature English cheddar, shredded with Branston pickle.

For something sweet, Manuka honey on toast. (no butter required, thank you).

Am I getting too carried away?

Hummus. No, really... :biggrin:

So we finish the eighteenth and he's gonna stiff me. And I say, "Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little something, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any money. But when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness."

So I got that goin' for me, which is nice.

My husband likes cheddar cheese sprinkled with red pepper flakes. Me, I just want butter and peanut butter.

Edited by Marlene (log)

Marlene

Practice. Do it over. Get it right.

Mostly, I want people to be as happy eating my food as I am cooking it.

Butter and a sunny side up egg which has been fried in bacon fat. Scrambled eggs. Poached eggs. Egg salad. Corned beef hash. Poached salmon and a dab of mayo. Smoked salmon and cream cheese. Creamed canned salmon with peas. Baked beans for sure. Melted cheese

And the breakfast of champions: a schmear of mayo and a thinnish slice of leftover meatloaf.

Not that I don't love good jam (my mother's Damson Plum is the platonic ideal) and as a teen I thought cinnamon toast was the world's most nearly perfect food. It's just that I've become a serious protein for breakfast person and toast with sweet is something I'd enjoy more with a cup of tea at four in the afternoon.

I think I made cinnamon toast in an unorthodox way when I was cramming for finals:

2 T. soft butter

2 T. brown sugar

cinnamon

Beat together and spread on toast that has popped up in the last two seconds. I wonder whether I'd like it now?

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com