• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Salvadoran or Guatemalan in Seattle?

Just checking to see if there are any Salvadoran or Guatemalan restaurants in Seattle.

"Homer, he's out of control. He gave me a bad review. So my friend put a horse head on the bed. He ate the head and gave it a bad review! True Story." Luigi, The Simpsons

Salvadoran Bakery in White Center serves traditional savory dishes as well as pastries.

Edited by tighe (log)

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

Wouldn't that be nice. Stay away from the Peruvian place in White Center. It was almost funny.

Really? I'd heard pretty good things about it, but haven't gotten there.

Most women don't seem to know how much flour to use so it gets so thick you have to chop it off the plate with a knife and it tastes like wallpaper paste....Just why cream sauce is bitched up so often is an all-time mytery to me, because it's so easy to make and can be used as the basis for such a variety of really delicious food.

- Victor Bergeron, Trader Vic's Book of Food & Drink, 1946

The Peruvian place is, or was, El Chalan. I recently heard it closed (the phone number is no longer in service).

Wouldn't that be nice. Stay away from the Peruvian place in White Center. It was almost funny.

The Peruvian place is, or was, El Chalan. I recently heard it closed (the phone number is no longer in service).

It was almost really bad chinese food. Interesting how much indo-influence there was. Despite the good reviews over the years, when we tried it last year, it was bad. Maybe something had changed. One of only a few truly bad dining experiences I've had in the Seattle area. (Up there with Thanksgiving dinner at Charlie's on Broadway.)

Just checking to see if there are any Salvadoran or Guatemalan restaurants in Seattle.

Found this old gem from The Weekly:

Tacos Patzcuaro truck (8303 Martin Luther King Jr. Way S.) while snacking on pupusas revueltas—Salvadoran corn cakes stuffed with pork, beans, and cheese and topped with a kicky cabbage slaw.

Maybe still there?

Found this old gem from The Weekly:

Tacos Patzcuaro truck (8303 Martin Luther King Jr. Way S.) while snacking on pupusas revueltas—Salvadoran corn cakes stuffed with pork, beans, and cheese and topped with a kicky cabbage slaw.

Maybe still there?

there was a show on KUOW last friday about taco trucks and someone mentioned this place as their favorite.

There is a Salvadorian restaurant called El Trapiche Pupuseria Y Restaurante in Burien, 127 SW 153rd St, Burien, 244-5564. Ages ago I posted about it Here.

The Stranger has a write up of it Here

The Weekly has a snippet Here

If anyone has been lately, I'd love to hear a recent review.

• 5 months later...

Not sure if anyone still cares, but my wife and I went to the Salvadoran place on Aurora (she's Salvadoran), and it was good, not great. Had pupusas, which I have to compare to both her grandmothers and to the Salvadoran Bakery in White Center. Both are definitely better, but I don't imagine you'll probably be getting any of grandma's. So, go the White Center, and get the ones w/ cheese and loroco, the flower/herb. Plus, the salsa's WAY better in WC. The aurora joint's salsa was very much like water and ketchup with a pinch of old pepper.

• 2 weeks later...

A friends family from El Salvador are opening a restaurant very soon in the U-district. The name is going to be Guanaco's Tacos it is located on 47 or 48 and brooklyn. the food will be el salvadoran and mexican.

Abra..In my minds eye ... Salvadoran like most food from Central America it is not supposed to be very spicy food ... homey food ..in my opinion....pupusas are ok and I enjoy them especially if they have lots of loroco flower in them... but it is for me the soups and stews that make Salvadoran food... they are very comforting..it makes me want to suck my thumb and twirl my hair when I dive into a bowl!!! if you are looking for spicy foods Salvadoran is not it ..if you are looking for a great filling down home meal to dive into... then not do much afterwards in the way of moving.... then yes this is the food for you and as much as I adore spice in life sometimes this is just the food I need!!!

I went to the Salvadoran bakery very recently and had a big bowl of prawn and fish soup that made my eyes roll back it was so yummy!!! they did give me jalepenos and lime to add along with their very mild hot sauce ...so good and so inexpensive!!! I feel so lucky we have all this food around us here that is for sure!

Edited by hummingbirdkiss (log)
why am I always at the bottom and why is everything so high? 

why must there be so little me and so much sky?

Piglet