• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Stuck in a "culinary wasteland" Palm Beach FL.

chefadamg

dude you are in palm beach - i worked in boca - people don't cook for themselves there - right - i worked at a club and on my day off would go around looking and eating at places that looked local - the gm told me that mondays are the busiest because the clubs are closed and the club "people" come out of the gates and expect the local places to kiss ass just like the clubs - they are a hard bunch to work for sometimes - we kept things in stock for certain guest and those guests only - if they were out of town it went bad - if it wasn't on the menu - no problem - good luck down there it is a fun but crazy place

I just hated it. I've stepped in puddles deeper than some of the people I met in the Palm Beach area.

I digress.

Have you tried hitting up the Carnicerias and Halaal stores? Those little Haitian and West African places? I was getting flank steaks, for example, just off Lake Worth Road for $1.10/lb just last September. Dig around.

This whole love/hate thing would be a lot easier if it was just hate.

Bring me your finest food, stuffed with your second finest!

Have you tried

Surf & Turf Gourmet

7405 Oakmont Dr

Lake Worth FL 33467

Phone: 561-963-0074

or

Big Ed's Butcher Shop Inc

8140 Belvedere Rd

West Palm Beach FL 33411

Phone: 561-798-9876

Call ahead, they could probably order in for you. There is one other I can't remember the name of right now.

You may have to go slummin' dude.

Edit: Actually this is your best bet:

Boys Farmers Market Incorporated

14378 Military Trl

Delray Beach, FL 33484View Map

561-496-7559

These people are really super nice and have the best of everything - they'll get veal cheeks for you I'm sure, and after you visit and see the cheese shop and see the produce and seafood you will make it a regular trip.

Edited by annecros (log)

I just hated it.  I've stepped in puddles deeper than some of the people I met in the Palm Beach area.

I digress.

Have you tried hitting up the Carnicerias and Halaal stores?  Those little Haitian and West African places?  I was getting flank steaks, for example, just off Lake Worth Road for $1.10/lb just last September.  Dig around.

With the Jewish population up there, I can't believe he can't find veal cheeks. You just have to leave Palm Beach proper, though, which is good for you sanity anyway. We lived in Lake Worth for almost 10 years, year around.

Edited by annecros (log)