• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The spice of life

GTO

I quite often add a cardamom pod when brewing tea. Just remember to take it out, since it can be quite overpowering.

I'm not that sure about garlic. I'd say it was a spice. Because, although it grows in the ground as a bulb, you wouldn't eat it outright like you would a vegetable (Although given the chance, I would, lol.) The same goes for things like Horseradish, it grows like a vegetable but we use it as a spice.

I think garlic is a fragrant vegetable. I certainly WOULD eat crispy roasted or fried garlic straight.

Michael aka "Pan"

black pepper, cumin, basil, horseradish, ginger, bergamot, cloves

I turned one of those 3-inch deep ironing board closets into a spice rack . . . I love to open the door and just look at it . . . think about the fact that if I were living in another time and place, that cupboard alone would mean I was royalty . . .

I love copious amounts of black pepper on anything with potatoes or cheese, especially cheapo macaroni and cheese (as in high end Kraft). Enough to make everyone else in the room sneeze.

Is pepperoni a spice?

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.