• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amer Picon & Torani Amer

trillium

So I would have never given away that half empty bottle of Amer Picon before moving the the left coast if I had known that there is no longer a US distributor for this fine amaro. Yes, there are other nice amari out there and I'm ordering some from Sam's Wine & Spirits but I NEED Amer Picon too....however will I have my Picon Punch when the skies grey up and it gets wet and cold if I can't find Amer Picon? I'm hoping someone has seen some in their travels and can pass the info onto me, so I can go hunt it down.

regards,

trillium

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

ok so addicted to that damn vintage spirits etc book i find myself forced to drink my way through it, and i've hit a stumbling block.

amer picon

can anyone point me towards a supply of this in the UK?

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

amer picon

can anyone point me towards a supply of this in the UK?

Try here.

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

• 3 months later...

Okay... so I just scored three bottles of Torani Amer. Now, as you may well imagine, I have a serious itch for Amer-ish cocktails. Any suggestions are appreciated. I will naturally try a facsimile of Picon Punch and a Brooklyn Cocltail. And I'm dying to try Hoskins Cocktail. After that, I'm open so suggestions.

--

Okay... so I just scored three bottles of Torani Amer.  Now, as you may well imagine, I have a serious itch for Amer-ish cocktails.  Any suggestions are appreciated.  I will naturally try a facsimile of Picon Punch and a Brooklyn Cocltail.  And I'm dying to try  Hoskins Cocktail.  After that, I'm open so suggestions.

One fingers worth in a glass and fill with beer. :biggrin:

Bruce Frigard

Quality control Taster, Château D'Eau Winery

"Free time is the engine of ingenuity, creativity and innovation"

111,111,111 x 111,111,111 = 12,345,678,987,654,321

Okay... so I just scored three bottles of Torani Amer....After that, I'm open so suggestions.

The Liberal Cocktail, which I learned from Mr. Taggert's Blog last year, is another fine drink which uses Torani Amer.

http://cocktaildb.com/recipe_detail?id=1346

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Another good drink is the Brooklyn, although it only uses a dash of Amer:

http://www.drinkboy.com/Cocktails/recipes/Brooklyn.html

Brooklyn

1 1/2 ounces rye or bourbon whiskey

1/2 ounce sweet vermouth

1 dash Amer Picon

1 dash maraschino liqueur

Stir with ice. Strain into a cocktail glass.

And while I currently don't have many Amer Picon recipes on my site, there are 44 of them over on CocktailDB.

I just got back from a trip to SF, and while down there I saw a lonely bottle of Torani Amer on the shelf (This was at the Avalon bar at the Majestic Hotel), the bartender (Tim, a great guy, and definately of a cocktailian nature), said he had ordered it in, but didn't really know anything to use it with... I of cours quickly ordered up a "Hoskins" cocktail, and it was a hit around the bar.

I'm not sure if this is a discussion we've had on this board or not regarding Torani Amer, but I know we discussed this in depth over on my forum when Doc first discovered the existance of Torani brand Amer...

If you do a side-by-side comparison of (modern) Amer Picon, and Torani Amer, they are very different beasts. The modern Amer Picon is only 42 proof, while Torani is 78. Apparently, Amer Picon changed their recipe sometime in the 1940's? Doc has an older bottle of Amer Picon dating from 1939, and it was 78 proof, just like Torani. And he claims the Torani tastes like the older version of Amer Picon as well.

-Robert

Yea, I'd heard that Torani Amer is really the better product in modern times, and closer to the old Amer Picon than today's Amer Picon is. I wonder why the Amer Picon people would decide to change the formula like that? Well, anyway, it makes me feel better about not having any Amer Picon.

The Brooklyn is definitely on my list (see above). The recipe I was planning on using has 1/4 ounce each of maraschino and amer, though, instead of a dash of each. This means I'll have to try both, now. You know... for the sake of science.

--

The Brooklyn is definitely on my list (see above)

...ooops, you're right...

The recipe I was planning on using has 1/4 ounce each of maraschino and amer, though, instead of a dash of each.

When I was in Barcelona a while back, I noticed that all of the bars I went to had Amer Picon in dasher bottles, and were using it in various cocktails much like normal bitters. It is a pretty intense flavor so it's not too surprising.

-Robert

to all those based in london went to the wolsley on picadilly the other day and low and behold they not only had amer picon behind the bar, but had a picon punch on there menu!

not being the kind of person who usually drinks highballs, although have the 'bitters lime and lemonade' installed in my colonial heritage its definitely my favourite amer drink so far.

i have a new favourite bar.

will be spending some quality bar research there trying to worm out who there supplier is.

shame about the recipe change to the almost syrupy version we have now, it you want a little extra dry in you punch try making it with tonic instead of soda (diet is much dryer)

'the trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass'

• 11 months later...

Ah, Amer Picon. Great when you can find it. I find that you can get closer to the current version of Amer Picon by mixing Cynar with a splash of Grand Marnier. LeNell scored some for her personal collection, maybe she can help you out.

Edited by bpeikes (log)

• 4 weeks later...
The recipe I was planning on using has 1/4 ounce each of maraschino and amer, though, instead of a dash of each.  This means I'll have to try both, now.  You know... for the sake of science.

Did you try this? I tried a Brooklyn last night with my newly procured bottle of Torani Amer and it did not fit my tastes at all. I used the recipe from Cocktail DB with 1/4 ounce. Was it better with a dash?

I'm looking forward to the Hoskins, tonight!

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Liz it looks like you used 1/4oz measure you might want to cut it to an 1/8oz I have found this to be more to the liking of my less bitter inclined friends.

Thanks, I'll try that. I usually do like bitter things, but this was too much.

Liz Johnson

Professional:

Food Editor, The Journal News and LoHud.com

Westchester, Rockland and Putnam: The Lower Hudson Valley.

Small Bites, a LoHud culinary blog

Personal:

Sour Cherry Farm.

Was in an old LA liquor store yesterday and was stunned to see a couple of old bottles of Amer Picon behind the register. These were pre-metric 78 proof 4/5 quarts. Needless to say I snapped them up. My girlfriend got me a bottle of Torani Amer for Christmas, and we mixed Brooklyns with it. They were very tasty and to my palate, there was a celery flavor to the Torani. I am very interested in comparing the flavor of the older Picon to the newer product.

-Mike

• 1 year later...

i just picked up a bottle of picon....

i was wondering if anyone knew about how it was made....

are the flavors solely gentian, cinchona, and orange?

is the spirit fortified wine or brandy with alot of water?

i really wanted to save it for next years tour du france but was really tempted and opened it. hopefully it is not made of wine and will not oxidize....

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

i just picked up a bottle of picon....

i was wondering if anyone knew about how it was made....

are the flavors solely gentian, cinchona, and orange?

is the spirit fortified wine or brandy with alot of water?

i really wanted to save it for next years tour du france but was really tempted and opened it.  hopefully it is not made of wine and will not oxidize....

Hey...

I found a page about Amer Picon. It's in French.

Amer Picon

Google translates it to:

Aperitif containing mixture of fresh and dried orange peels are macerated in alcohol, then distilled to which dried roots of gentian and quiquina (which macerate separately) are added, of sugar syrup and caramel.

Launched in 1837 per Gaetan Picon to Algeria, it is in 1872, that it will create a factory in Marseilles. In 1995, Picon will be declined in two forms: Picon beer (the original, intended to be mixed with light beers), and Picon club (to be mixed with dry white wines).

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

When I made the Brooklyn Cocktail from the Savoy Cocktail Book, eGullet member Splificator felt inspired to taste his various bitter aperitifs against a vintage bottle of Amer Picon.

Bitter Taste Test

He found one called "Amaro Ciociaro" to be closest in character to the vintage Amer Picon.

As stickii mentions, recently Jamie Boudreau has been working on creating a replica by doctoring another Italian bitter. If I remember correctly, the recipe involves adding a home made bitter orange tincture and Stirrings Blood Orange Bitters to Amaro Razzomoti.

I'm told some folks at Tales of the Cocktail did a comparative tasting of Jamie's Amer Picon substitute against a vintage sample, and found it awfully close as well.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA