• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Amer Picon & Torani Amer

trillium

That is really interesting do you think Torani is improving thier formual! or was it an older bottle. I am also a Picon addict I have a lot to add to this thread but if Torani Amer has been improved I definately want to get some of that!

OK california folks lets see what the rest of you think! :wink:

OMG!

The Torani Amer is differnet. In my oppinion it is WAY! better.

It is true the Veggie Cellery note is gone and it is much more fresh bitter orange with light caramel and bitter herbs in the background. Crisp bitter cittusy and refreshng and not too sweet.

It will be much more cocktail friendly from what I can see.

I am comparing it to the old Torani Amer and the Old Amer Picon. It is definatley more like the original Picon. Not quite as full but it is heads and tails obove My older bottles of Torani Amer.

Can't wait to try it in Picon punch tonight!

It seems to be from the newest bottles I orderd mine from Wineglobe, they just got there new cases of Torani Amer about 4 days ago.

OMG!

The Torani Amer is differnet. In my oppinion it is WAY! better.

[...]

Wow, that is truly interesting news.

I find it really surprising that they would choose to reformulate the product. I wonder what the story is.

Anyone have any connections at Torani?

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Well, I'm glad at least one person can confirm this! Kev, as someone who can taste the "new" (if it's accurate to say that) TA and vintage Picon, what would you suggest as a way to bring TA even closer? Dash of good orange bitters (and if so, which one)? Anything?

Cheers,

Mike

"The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind."

- Bogart

My "new" bottle of Torani Amer is now about half gone. Everything I've done with it has been a revelation to me. From taking it neat after a meal like a true amaro to a traditional Picon Punch to Chuck Taggart's Hoskins to Jamie Boudreau's Nirvana to Chris Hannah's Bywater to a plain-old Picon & Beer (Spaten), each drink was an outstanding -- indeed, reference (for me at least) -- example.

I absolutely love this stuff. I just hope that the next bottle I buy is just as good!

Cheers,

Mike

- Bogart

Yes, both Of my new bottles taste the same. They Came shrik wrapped

which none of my other bottles ever did. including the other things I orderd. So th e Manufacturer must be Shrink Wrapping now.

it is much closer to the original Picon. And much better that the way T.A. used to taste. It is so much easier to use in cocktails. Way Easier!

There Is one more componet in Picon that I don't taste in Torani. I get a very slight but persistant fresh cool note. I have a a feeling it could come from a mint of some sort.

I am in the prosses of investigating this.

• 4 weeks later...
CiaCiaro + Angostura Orange + a Neutral Grain Spirit (to thin it down and increase the proof) give a pretty amazing Picon recplica.

John, I now have all of these things (CioCiaro, Angostura Orange and Everclear) -- any thoughts on ratios to bring it as close as possible to Picon? I'd love to give this a go and see how it comes out. An ABV calculator (there are several on the web) should tell me how much Everclear to add to bring the 60-proof CioCiaro up to Picon's original 78-proof, but how much Angostura Orange?

Cheers,

Mike

- Bogart

• 3 weeks later...

Does anyone have a citation for the Quebec cocktail? I'm trying to figure out what distinguishes it from the Brooklyn: The type of whisky? The amount of maraschino and Amer Picon? Anyway, I don't see it in Embury, Duffy or my (idiosyncratic) copy of Savoy. I'd appreciate a lead on this one. Thanks!

Matthew Kayahara

Kayahara.ca

@mtkayahara

• 2 months later...

I forget where exactly the proof falls on the finished product, but I know Stirring's Blood Orange Bitters should be refrigerated once they are open.

So I probably would also refrigerate Jamie's Amer after you open the bottle.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

I forget where exactly the proof falls on the finished product, but I know Stirring's Blood Orange Bitters should be refrigerated once they are open.

So I probably would also refrigerate Jamie's Amer after you open the bottle.

do the math and see how the alcohol averages out. over 15.5 won't turn to vinegar and over 18 is really stable in preventing most all bacterial spoilage... now you only have to care about the ravages (or enhancements!) of oxidation...

abstract expressionist beverage compounder

creator of acquired tastes

bostonapothecary.com

• 3 weeks later...

With all the discussion of various components that could be used to simulate Amer Picon, I'm wondering if Pimm's could be employed somehow. I know it's sweet, but with it's orangeyness and flowery, herbal notes, I'm thinking that perhaps Pimm's, Averna Amaro, maybe, and orange bitters might be used to produce an adequate substitute. Any thoughts? Would this come close at all? If not, what about using say, Aperol, or Meletti Amaro?

Mike

"The mixing of whiskey, bitters, and sugar represents a turning point, as decisive for American drinking habits as the discovery of three-point perspective was for Renaissance painting." -- William Grimes

• 2 weeks later...
thank you! well that's interesting then, cuz i've also seen ppl saying that the red hook is a riff on the brooklyn but since the brooklyn has dry vermouth in it it's not that close is it?

It's based off the Brooklyn due to the subbing of Punt e Mes for the Amer Picon. Punt e Mes happens to combine vermouth and aperitif bitter in one bottle (an admittedly blurry line at best). It's not closely related in flavor, but the drinks are related structurally so I think it fits.

Andy Arrington

Journeyman Drinksmith

Twitter--@LoneStarBarman

wrt the Red Hook, I got it from Enzo's mouth that the Red Hook (which, not for nothing, is a neighborhood of Brooklyn) is a riff on the Brooklyn. The idea is that the Punt e Mes stands in for the herbal bitterness and richness of the Amer Picon/dry vermouth combination.

--

• 2 months later...

Special shipment from CA this afternoon containing two bottles of Torani Amer! Just made a Liberal with overholt, carpano antica, torani amer (3:1:1), with a dash of Ango orange. Really, really nice. Going to get a bottle of Noilly Prat Original for some Brooklyns.

So yes, it's a pretty big day for me.

Dave Kaye

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone seen Torani Amer in the NYC area?

As a Brooklyn dweller I feel it's my duty to make, and drink, a well-made, reasonably authentic Brooklyn cocktail on a regular basis, but I'm not quite dedicated enough to mix my own Picon replica.

Cheers!

"The thirst for water is a primitive one. Thirst for wine means culture, and thirst for a cocktail is its highest expression."

Pepe Carvalho, The Buenos Aires Quintet by Manuel Vazquez Montalban

Picked up a new bottle of Torani Amer.

It does have better orange flavor.

However, they are still using the same low grade grain neutral spirits.

Tastes like orange flavored aftershave.

---

Erik Ellestad

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

• 2 weeks later...

FWIW, after tasting the house made Amer Picon at TVH, I've found Tornai is a bit closer after adding a few dashes of orange bitters and a bit of simple syrup. Boosts the orange, cuts that strangeness that seems to pop up on the end.

If they added a little aloe to it, I don't see why it couldn't serve a dual purpose!

Dave Kaye