• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

[The Asian Market] Bitter Melon/Gourd

Richard Kilgore

I passed by the Bitter Melons in a market last weekend and wondered how members of the Society use them. I have only had them in Phillipine food, but a quick flip through Elizabeth Schneider's Vegetables: From Amaranth to Zucchini and Alan Davidson's Oxford Companion To Food, shows they are thought to have originated in India (Davidson) or Africa (Schneider) and are also used in Indonesia, Sri Lanka, China and most of South East Asia, as well as Hawaii and the Spanish Caribbean.

So how do you cook Bitter Melon in your part of the world. Any tried and true recipes for RecipeGullet?

So how do you cook Bitter Melon in your part of the world. Any tried and true recipes for RecipeGullet?

You can stir-fry it with ginger, garlic and fermented soy beans (dow see); stuff it with a mixture of ground pork, waterchestnut, shrimp then pan fried; make soup with pork bones, ginger, rehydrated oysters. These are familiar dishes in Chinese households. Check out the Chinese Pictorial by eGulleteer hzrt in the Chinese forum. I'm not sure if it is in RecipeGullet.

Dejah

www.hillmanweb.com

You can stir-fry it with ginger, garlic and fermented soy beans (dow see); stuff it with a mixture of ground pork, waterchestnut, shrimp then pan fried; make soup with pork bones, ginger, rehydrated oysters. These are familiar dishes in Chinese households. Check out the Chinese Pictorial by eGulleteer hzrt in the Chinese forum. I'm not sure if it is in RecipeGullet.

Thanks, Dejah. Here is hrtz's Stir-fried Bitter Melons with Foo Yu.

I tried bitter melon for the first time yesterday when I having dim sum with friends in Chinatown. 2" pieces had been steamed and hollowed (not sure which came first...) and then stuffed with a mixture of ground shrimp, mushrooms, ginger and scallions. Tried alone, the melon is indeed bitter (though I like bitter greens), but the sweet shrimp mixture made for a nice balance.