• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Nemo's Seafood

jb_973

Just saw a 'coming soon' sign in the window of the empty store at the corner of Pleasant Valley Way and Eagle Rock in West Orange. This store has been empty since I moved into the neighborhood, so it will be nice to have something there.

Does anyone know more about this location, and when it will open?

Jason

Terrible location and terrible parking. Nothing has made it here.

this is true. back in the 70s, it was a dingy newstand/card/candy store back run by a really nasty old guy, and nothing since then has lasted more than a few months. we used to joke that he cursed it. it's too bad, really, because a few years ago someone put a decent amount of work into renovating it, but to no avail.

This place has been an eyesore to that area for years. While I realize it's a poor location with limited parking, I've often wondered what the asking price was for rent.

Surely for the right price, somebody can make a living there. There has to be something going on considering how long that location has been vacant.

Blessed are those who engage in lively conversation with the helplessly mute, for they shall be called, "Dentists." (anonymous)

Life is too short for bad Caesar Salad. (Me)

Why would you poison yourself by eating a non-organic apple? (HL)

Originaly (40-50 years ago) this was a counter top/diner place with newpapers and local gossip. The police let you park on Eagle Rock and pleasant Valley way to the corners, where there is no parking now. When some of the stores changed, the back entrance was blocked by a locked gate and people could not (and still can't) get easy access.

There are 2 problems here, complete lack of parking on the street.

#2 si the fact that many commuters use the lot behind those stores to park, taking up space so the stores lose out big time. The landlord does not care about that situation, has never cared and really just wasnt to cash rent checks. No improvemnets were ever made without the tennents doing it or the town coming down on them.

I really wish this place well, but honestly, I don't think it has a prayer.

http:/www.etuinc.com

I pass through this intersection everyday as part of my commute, and have always tried to think of a perfect business to occupy that "prime" space ... whatever it is, it has to draw walk-ins because of the lack of parking ... there seem to be plenty of high school students walking to and from W.O. High, so there is an opportunity with that demographic ... soda shop? arcade? a nice, safe teen-friendly hangout spot with a business plan to pay the bills ... good luck to "Nemo's Seafood" when we have Whole Food's spacious parking lot less than a mile away ...

Edited by jim07044 (log)

40-50 years ago it was known as "Bella's" the name of the owner. Businessmen went there in the morning for coffee and kids went after school for a burger. Parking was available on PVW and Eagle Rock Avenue so there was no problem.

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
I wanted to go, but couldn't find a place to park.

Do you know that there's a big parking lot behind that strip of stores? Go in off of Eagle Rock Avenue.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

... if you're heading north on Pleasant Valley Way, you can also hang a right immediately after the Dunkin Donuts - there's a one-way drive that will take you into the parking lot. You can see the drive on this map - Nemo's is at the left of the screen, Dunkin Donuts is at the other end of the strip.

http://maps.live.com/default.aspx?v=2&cp=q...44111&encType=1

I think they may benefit from a sign in the window saying that there is parking available around the back.

I haven't been there yet - may go and check it out either sometime this week, or over the weekend.

Do you know that there's a big parking lot behind that strip of stores?  Go in off of Eagle Rock Avenue.

I do now. Is there an entrance to Nemo's from the parking lot or do I need to enter from the street?

Not sure; I know that some of the other stores have entrances from the lot--worth a call to ask.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

I hope it's better than the Nemo's in Linden. I LOVE shellfish and I just don't love Nemo's.

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best --" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were, but he didn't know what it was called. - A.A. Milne

I don't think you can get in to Nemo's directly though the parking lot. I think there is a fenced in yard behind Nemo's.

If you look at the map Nemo's is on the corner with the lot behind it. I think that's the yard where the Lubovich center puts out the display Sukkahs before Sukkot.

• 8 months later...

Doesn't look like the Nemo's is going to last too long... website's been shut down and phone disconnected at Corporate (according to the news report below)... Apparently several in the area already shut down, and only West Orange, Union and maybe Brooklyn are still open.

Shame, Shame, Shame: Nemos Seafood

http://www.myfoxny.com/myfox/pages/News/De...TY&pageId=3.1.1

• 1 year later...