• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Sources for Apple Essence, apple oil

Skwerl

I picked up a copy of Andrew Schotts' book last week and was particularly interested in the candied apple ganache recipe. I have been unable to find the "Apple Essence" or apple oil, the recommended substitute, locally here in Kansas City (shocker). A few Google searches didn't turn up any vendors, either. Have any of you seen the Apple Essence product (or natural apple oil) for sale somewhere on the net? Thaks for suggestions!

Josh

Josh Usovsky

"Will Work For Sugar"

Hey Josh, long time no post, eh?

Try this resource. They have tons of flavor compounds that are really good. I've used several and their green apple is very good.

edited to add: I just took a closer look and their prices aren't listed on the website. Just note, they are NOT cheap :hmmm:

Edited by alanamoana (log)

Sorry, I don't know, Josh--and I haven't read about this, but I'm curious.

I'm a soapmaker and I also make lotions and creams, and I work with fragrance and essential oils every day.

as far as I know, there's no such thing as an apple essential oil (meaning extracted from actual apples).

I would think that this apple essence or oil is an apple flavor oil--synthetic--if you search for flavor oil you should have better luck.

Zoe

as far as I know, there's no such thing as an apple essential oil (meaning extracted from actual apples).

I would think that this apple essence or oil is an apple flavor oil--synthetic--if you search for flavor oil you should have better luck.

Thanks, Zoe. According to the author of the book, these products do exist, although I've had trouble finding them. As the "Apple Essence" mentioned in the recipe is capitalized, I assume this is a brand name. "Natural apple oil" is suggested in the recipe's description as a substitute, and immitation is strongly discouraged. All I found in my neck of the woods was "apple flavoring," and it had a nasty artificial green apple scent.

Alana, I will check out the site and see if I can talk them into selling a small quantity to me if the have it. Thanks for the link! And yes, it HAS been a long time! I've been very busy, but am now happily re-immersed in pastry land. :) It's good to be back!

Josh

Josh Usovsky

"Will Work For Sugar"

Josh,

You might want to post a question on the thread about Andrew's book, he has answered questions about ingredients in the past.

Link to the thread

Hi Skwerl. You might try Amoretti for apple flavorings. Their web site is www.amoretti.com and they do have a toll free number. When I'm looking for flavorings I have called them and they have responsive and have even sent samples for me to try. Tell them you have gone to the World Pastry Forum. I use their champagne compound for sorbet and ganache recipes. The products are not inexpensive so I recommend getting samples and try them out on a sample batch before buying the larger tubs. Although it doesn't say so I have used their compounds for ganaches.

Fred Rowe

Randi, thanks for the suggestion. I ordered a bottle of their apple flavoring, so I am anxiously awaiting its arrival. Fred, hello again! :) I thought about getting in touch with Amoretti, but the guy at their booth treated me like I was trash off the street at the last WPTC that I attended. I don't plan to buy from them.

The author of the book responded to my query in another forum thread, saying that the apple essence he uses is a flavoring used in Jolly Ranchers and Blow Pops! It's sold only in large volume and should be available at candymaking supply stores.

I'll report back when I make the ganache!

Josh Usovsky

"Will Work For Sugar"