• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Romanian pastrami

I've always liked Romanian pastrami but I've never given it much thought. I always prepare it the same way: in a skillet, like bacon. I opened the package of Romanian pastrami that I bought earlier today to sneak a piece for my loyal four-legged companion and I was stunned by the look and smell. Somehow it seemed like this pastrami was just a cut above the Romanian pastrami that I've been eating.

I want to do it justice tomorrow morning. So, how should I warm it and how should I serve it?

Thank you.

Steamed!

Don't laugh. If it's good pastrami made from the navel, steaming is the best way to encourage succulence. Most good delis keep their pastramis (and corned beefs) in a steam cabinet between slicing.

If it's just a few slices, and you don't want to bother setting up a steamer or jury-rigging one (oven-proof plate suspended atop empty and endless tuna can placed in large pot with an inch or so of water), you can achieve a similar (though not identical) result in the microwave. Add a tablespoon or two of water to the microwave plate, cover with wax paper, and place on high until hot.

Bob Libkind aka "rlibkind"

Robert's Market Report

Hmm... I see I posted that at 4am asking for help with breakfast. What can I say? I was hungry...

Anyway, fear not. I figured this out on my own. Lying in bed, I imagined all the various things that might go on a pastrami sandwich. Egg? Mayo? Only one made my mouth water: tomato. Not-so-early this morning, I ran to the supermarket and found an heirloom tomato. I was skeptical of buying a tomato in Ohio in February but this one felt juicy and I took a chance.

I warmed the pastrami in a skillet and threw thick tomato slices in with just some salt. The tomatoes ended up with a wonderful soft, juicy interior and slight crispiness around the edges.

The combination was fantastic. I think this may just be the perfect way to eat Romanian pastrami. Highly recommended.

388167075_39b73a68e2.jpg

Final product

388170086_35bf9925fc_d.jpg

In the pan

Steamed!

Don't laugh. If it's good pastrami made from the navel, steaming is the best way to encourage succulence. Most good delis keep their pastramis (and corned beefs) in a steam cabinet between slicing.

If it's just a few slices, and you don't want to bother setting up a steamer or jury-rigging one (oven-proof plate suspended atop empty and endless tuna can placed in large pot with an inch or so of water), you can achieve a similar (though not identical) result in the microwave. Add a tablespoon or two of water to the microwave plate, cover with wax paper, and place on high until hot.

I didn't laugh. I see corned beef in steam trays all the time. I have a rice cooker. That would be easier than using a pot, a can and a plate. I'll give that a try sometime. Come to think of it, I actually do have a disposable steam tray set that I bought from a party store.. Maybe I'll try that if I ever need to cook for more than just a couple people. Until then, my system does a pretty good job.

Thanks.

-Stuart