• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Are Your Cookbooks Dirty or Clean?

Chris Amirault

My cookbooks are pristine -- because I find it difficult to hang the book from my overhead vent with a piece of tape.

If I'm going to do a recipe, I write it out in T-format and tape it to the vent. That way I can check off the steps with a sharpie as I complete them.

I've considered installing a cabinet undermount book holder. But I think my system of striking through the steps as I complete them is more efficient.

Even online recipes get T-formatted. It's just how I like to work.

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe

My cookbooks are pristine -- because I find it difficult to hang the book from my overhead vent with a piece of tape.

If I'm going to do a recipe, I write it out in T-format and tape it to the vent. That way I can check off the steps with a sharpie as I complete them.

I've considered installing a cabinet undermount book holder. But I think my system of striking through the steps as I complete them is more efficient.

Even online recipes get T-formatted. It's just how I like to work.

Can I ask what is the T format?

PS: I am a guy.

Anytime I stumble across a recipe in one my cookbooks that is worth repeating, I wind up entering it into the TasteBook site to get it printed for a custom cookbook.

Luckily the paper they print it on is kind of water resistant, so spills come up with little damage.

(I don't have any affiliation with these guys, just think its a neat service for saving, printing and sharing my recipes in a standard format.)

-- Andy

Can I ask what is the T format?

Draw a big T on a sheet of paper -- the ingredients on the left, what to do with them on the right. Name, yield, and oven temp on top of the T. Draw a horizontal line wherever appropriate. I usually have three or four of these going on any given night for dinner. Just part of my mise. Feels good checking off the second to the last step. (I never check off the last step, I just tear the paper off the vent and toss it in with the recycling.)

Who cares how time advances? I am drinking ale today. -- Edgar Allan Poe