• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Vegan high/low

Amy Rosen

Hi all, I'm doing a little sleuthing (not for an article) about where one can eat vegan in Vancouver. I'd like to get about a dozen ideas, both high-end (silver-domed service) and as low as they go (incense and hairy armpits), before I come for my next visit.

Not to worry, I'm not turning vegan. Not in this lifetime, anyway. (Note: No offense to egullet vegans, although doubtful there are any. Seriously, what's life without cheese?!)

Hi all, I'm doing a little sleuthing (not for an article) about where one can eat vegan in Vancouver. I'd like to get about a dozen ideas, both high-end (silver-domed service) and as low as they go (incense and hairy armpits), before I come for my next visit.

Not to worry, I'm not turning vegan. Not in this lifetime, anyway. (Note: No offense to egullet vegans, although doubtful there are any. Seriously, what's life without cheese?!)

There is a vegetarian thread here that would be a good place to start:

http://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=95901

Pretty much all the places mentioned will have some vegan selections, with some (Bo Kong, notably) being almost exclusively vegan. Vegetarian restaurants in Vancouver get a lot of vegan customers, and vegan menu items are often marked. Most of the places mentioned in that thread are lower-end.

Many higher-end restaurants in the city will be happy to make a vegan dish for you, especially if you call ahead and give them some warning. I recommend Star Anise, they have a vegan set menu that is very good.

Edited by Sylphid (log)

I didn't see Dharma Kitchen on that list, but they have pretty good food. I can't remember where they are located (it's almost out by UBC) but we enjoyed the food there.

Central Bistro on Denman also has vegan options, but I've never been there, though my friend eats there a fair amount.

Those are the two that I thought of that weren't on the list that I thought of...

chef going out to eat with vegan daughter..... Hons on Robson - TONS of choices, Mouse and Bean, with slight and very gracious modification, Feenies makes her a favourite personalized pasta dish every time, plus we have spicy beans and they always have three amazing sorbets for dessert (hardest thing to find vegan when out ),O'Douls would be a close second for fancy because they also put a lot of love into the special plates for her - they always come up with three great courses ! The Eatery for crazy mod delicious sushi, Templeton, Connies on Fourth..... just a few of our favourite, less obvious places !

The Naam on West 4th & Macdonald is a pretty popular vegetarian restaurant. They use cheese & the like, but have vegan options as well. The last time I was there was maybe 3 yrs ago, but I remember the veggie burger & sesame fries were pretty good. Service is next to non-existent.

The Foundation on Main & E. Broadway is another hotspot for vegetarian/vegans. I think the restaurant is vegan. Have only been there once, and was thoroughly not impressed despite the popularity. Everything tasted the same -- tahini-peanutty flavoured gloopy mush. I had some kind of overcooked stirfried tahini-peanutty flavoured veg. Haven't been back since, but it's been 5 yrs, maybe things are better now?

Lots of veg places on Commercial Drive I've heard, haven't bothered to try most of them as I like my meat. Did buy a couple vegan baked goods from Sweet Cherubim recently. They tasted -- as you would expect baked goods that don't have real cream, butter, or eggs to taste.

Habibi's on W Broadway & Oak is a Lebanese vegetarian restaurant. Yummy! It's meze style, so great for sharing. I haven't been there for a year or two, and I've heard they also changed ownership since then -- perhaps someone else might have more details on this?

Habibi's on W Broadway & Oak is a Lebanese vegetarian restaurant.  Yummy!  It's meze style, so great for sharing.  I haven't been there for a year or two, and I've heard they also changed ownership since then -- perhaps someone else might have more details on this?

It has switched owners twice: once when the original owner left town, and back again when he returned. I have been there since, it has a new name but is almost exactly the same otherwise. They have a small number of meat dishes now, but all of the original veg dishes are still there, and the quality is still high. I thoroughly enjoyed the last meal I had there.