• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Albuquerque/Santa Fe Caterers

Having my wedding in Placitas, NM and looking for a great caterer. Any suggestions

Albuquerque is closer than Santa Fe; looking there might save you some money. I do not know any caterers there, unfortunately. Maybe the Frontier restaurant does catering?

I have been to several events recently in Santa Fe catered by different caterers and cannot say I would recommend any of them except one, who is hardly mainstream: a vegetarian caterer. The rest served forgetable food.

Congratulations on your marriage!

Linda

-------------------

"The price of anything is the amount of life you exchange for it."

--- Henry David Thoreau

A friend attended a wedding in Albuquerque recently with very nice food catered by Artichoke Cafe, a good restaurant in town.

I just went to their website and they have a pretty detailed listing of the food they offer for catering. click

There is an additional link on that page with more details of the food they offer.

Here are some examples of the hors d'oeuvres:

Goat Cheese Tartlets with Red Pepper Confit

Green Chile Goat Cheese Tartlets

Beef Empanaditas with Dried Cherries, Cumin and Chili Flakes

Mini Crab Cakes with Chili Lime Aioli

Roasted Sweet Potato & Tomatillo Quesadillas

Smoked Trout on Cucumber Round with Horseradish Cream

Spicy Tuna Tartare on English Cucumber

Avocado & Veggie Nori Rolls with Soy Dipping Sauce

edited to add: Congratulations and please let us know who you pick and how the food turns out!

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

This may not be what you are looking for in this case, but I thought I'd add it to the thread for a good catering suggestion.

Rudy's BBQ

catering

full menu

I've only eaten at 3 or 4 bbq places in Albuquerque, but this is my favorite. They have great brisket, sausages and slaw. The green bean salad is very good as well. Choice of "regular" and "spicy" sauce. I like the latter.

They also have turkey, pork loin and spare and baby back ribs.

The sidedishes:

Potato Salad

Cole Slaw

Pinto Beans

New Potatoes

Green Bean Salad

Corn-on-the-Cobb

Cream Corn

Jumbo Smoked Potato

Edited by ludja (log)

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

I was checking if another restaurant I like might cater and came across this article (from 2002) that may be useful. It's from an article in La Cocinita Magazine and gives an extensvie list of caterers in Abq and Santa Fe. click

Unlike Artichoke Cafe and Rudys' I don't have any personal experience with any of these. The article has descriptions for each and weblinks.

Maybe others can offer comments.

Edited by ludja (log)

You might want to contact an eGullet poster who posts as "miss tenacity" directly for ideas. She is the restaurant critic for the Albuquerque Journal. Her name is Andrea Lin. I don't know her but I can vouch for her as a critic.

Her profile here lists a homepage which might make contact easier.

Bob Sherwood

“When the wolf is at the door, one should invite him in and have him for dinner.”

- M.F.K. Fisher

You might want to contact an eGullet poster who posts as "miss tenacity" directly for ideas.  She is the restaurant critic for the Albuquerque Journal.  Her name is Andrea Lin.  I don't know her but I can vouch for her as a critic.

Her profile here lists a homepage which might make contact easier.

I appreciate the mention. I had bookmarked this topic for when I returned home today, and here I am. :smile:

Send me an email or pm and we should be able to quickly determine if I can help make your wedding delicious. Congratulations!

Andrea

andrea@tenacity.net

"You can't taste the beauty and energy of the Earth in a Twinkie." - Astrid Alauda

---------------------------------------------------------------------

Food Lovers' Guide to Santa Fe, Albuquerque & Taos: OMG I wrote a book. Woo!

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks for your help, quite informative-we'll be out that way next weekend and have several tastings set .

Any luck with meeting the caterers and tasting some samples?

• 2 weeks later...

Check out Albert Bollati (?) working out of the Slate Street Cafe. I understand he does some catering out of their kitchen. Not sure if he works as far out as Placitas but his food is very good. He did catering for the Hyatt Albuquerque years back, opened his own Asian restaurant then a NY Pizza place and most recently has been with the owner of Slate Street consulting and doing catering out of their kitchen.

Thanks for your help, quite informative-we'll be out that way next weekend and have several tastings set .

Any luck with meeting the caterers and tasting some samples?

We booked two, basically for the fact they actually got back to us and sounded professional-both were delicious but one seemed to have more soul and the other one was just good catered food-don't want to name any names hear but our caterer is a very nice woman from Santa Fe.