• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

non-chocolate lava cakes

McAuliflower

For those of you who have the book, is the second baking of the creme brulee necessary or just part of the recipe for the molten cakes? (the website link refers to instructions the author provides - it says to make the prune armagnac brulee without the prunes)

I'm wondering about using the technique to bake/freeze the brulee mixture in shaped flexipans as part of a mini-pastry....

I don't like the idea of uncooked cake batter becoming the lava; the versions with ganache inserted in the center are more appealing. So how about this?

Mix lemon juice and sugar and freeze in cubes. Cover each cube in unsalted butter and re-freeze; use as a center for Molten Lemon Cakes. I'm sure you can find a cake recipe that works.

How about frozen fruit and ice cream mixtures? The caramel sounds good, too.

Ruth Dondanville aka "ruthcooks"

“Are you making a statement, or are you making dinner?” Mario Batali

I'd like a honey spice cake with some apple pie filling oozing out. This premise has many possibilities... almond cake with cherry lava, lemon cake with blueberry ginger lava, carrot cake with cream cheese lava (not sure if that would be good).

Savory: olive oil cakes with creamed corn center... mmm.

Lisa K

Lavender Sky

"No one wants black olives, sliced 2 years ago, on a sandwich, you savages!" - Jim Norton, referring to the Subway chain.

Actually, because I have an excess of chocolate pudding at home, I'm going to try that.

If something disastrous is going to happen, like the pudding will become rubbery, please say something!

I would freeze icecube chunks of it, and insert into the cakes about midway into baking..as ruthcooks mentions upthread, there are numerous recipes that do this with frozen ganache and it works very well.

I have some coconut pudding mix that I was going to add to bananna bread, but this has me thinking about trying it as a center for a small bananna cake instead. Please let us know how it works out!