• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Whole Foods chickens going 100% organic

ghostrider

I have it on good authority that, within 6 months, my local Whole Foods will be selling nothing but certified organic chickens. No more "all natural" birds @ $4.99 - $6.59 / lb for boneless breast parts, nothing but 100% organic @ $9.99 / lb.

If my branch is doing this, I assume it's being done nationwide. While on the surface this level of pricing seems insane, given Whole Foods' track record, I wouldn't bet too much against them.

We have a friend who opened a (non-food) retail business a year ago who tells us some interesting stories about merchandising. If you have only a handful of a certain item and have them in a bin marked "Sale!," they won't move; consciously or unconsciously, most customers conclude that the items are somehow tainted. However, if you take a full shipment of the same item, pile it in a huge heap & jack up the price, it takes on an aura of popularity & desireabiility & starts selling like hotcakes.

I suspect that Whole Foods is applying a similar strategy to their chickens. I'm sure that they've already done their market research & think that their core customer base will go along with this. Still, I wonder if it'll work long term. I guess I'm not part of their core because they're going to lose me if this comes to pass.

Thank God for tea! What would the world do without tea? How did it exist? I am glad I was not born before tea!

- Sydney Smith, English clergyman & essayist, 1771-1845