• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Church's Kitchen

ejebud

OK people, ya know that little place that doesn't look like much on the outside, maybe has old signage, or is not in the best neighborhood? Ya know the place you've been driving by for years and never would dare stop in to check it out?

Well, let me tell you, at the recomendation of some nice folks on a South Orange/Maplewood forum I ventured into Church's Kitchen on Springfield Ave in Vauxhall. To my surprise, it had been 10 years that I have been driving by the place much to my detrement. As a lover of all foods comfort, I won't drive past this place again, in fact It wil be destination for me.

First of all, Judy and Leroy Church are two of the frendiest people I have ever met.

They have real southern hospitality and talk to you like you're family.

Now, the food- Here's what I ordered- 1/2 rack of beef ribs, 1/2 rack or pork ribs,

8 pieces of fried chicken and dinner rolls, a pint of Collard greens, a pint of Mac and Cheese, 4 pices of cornbread, an a peach cobbler.

Folks if I tell you that I had an out-of-body experience that night it would be an understatement. The beef ribs were more like Brontosaurus ribs, albeite a little boney, but the meat was falling off the bone. The pork ribs were fabulously meaty and tender. The fried chicken was darn near the best I have ever had. It was served in a box and remained crispy on the trip from Vauxhall to West Orange. As Leroy cooked it, I could see him inserting an instant read thermometer at various intervals throughout the cooking process which made me feel like he really knows what he is doing. The Collards were bitter/sweet and smokey, just the way I like 'em. The mac and cheese was quickly devoured by my kids so I assume it was good. Peach Cobbler was homemeade-'nuff said. They also have fried fish, pulled pork sandwiches, french fries, etc..

The place is take out only, when I asked Judy why she said "Honey Child, I want you to come in, get your food and leave so I can go home" A right fine response if you ask me!!, LOL

They are open until 9PM and are closed on Sundays. I suggest that unless you want to spend 30 mins or so shooting the breeze with Judy, you call in your order. There isn't a whole lotta rushing going on in the kitchen.

My entire order came to $40.00 and fed a family of 4 twice. They also take credit cards which is a plus.

Church's Kitchen

2117 Springfield Ave

Vauxhall, NJ 07088

(908) 810-1686

President

Les Marmitons-NJ

Johnson and Wales

Class of '85

You (collective meaning all) definitely need to check this place out. The pork ribs and the fried chicken were my favorites. I only had a bite of the mac and cheese -- couldn't get it away from my very picky youngest child. The greens are really good too -- we found a hidden treasure piece of the meat used to add flavoring to the pot liquor in ours.

Older dd is already asking when we are getting food from there again.

I stopped by today.

Yum, yum, yum.

For those of you who would like more detail :biggrin: :

Ordered the 8 piece chicken dinner. Chose coleslaw and fries as my sides. I also ordered a qt of Mac n Cheese and a slice of sweet potato pie.

The chicken is fantastic. I haven't had better since I moved out of Chicago and could no longer get Harold's. The coleslaw came in a pint container, plenty for everyone. Finely chopped and a tad creamier than I like, it was a wonderful compliment for the chicken. The fries were over flowing out of a 7x5x2 box. Crinkle cut that were actually crisp and not soggy as crinkle cut seem to be, my kids enjoyed them.

I can see why kids gobble down the mac and cheese. I think they use cream in the recipe, it is a touch sweet. Not offputting, but took a couple of bites to get used to. Which, of course, was followed by a couple of dozen more, to enjoy the creamy texture. :raz:

The pie was a square piece, good 'solid' example of a sweet potato pie, not dense in the least but not remarkable IMO.

Mrs. Church talked me into trying the catfish sandwich next time I stop by. She told me, yes it's $8, but you get THREE big pieces of catfish on there, plenty to share. And it's fried up in the same light coating they use on the chicken - but with different seasoning she assured me. (Incredibly NICE lady.)

And, I've yet to try the ribs, so I'll be heading back.

Edited by AlisonA (log)

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

I'm down in South Orange/Maplewood a couple of times a week during working hours. Up until I read about that catfish sandwich I didn't think I would be able to take advantage of this place but heck, that sounds really good. Any other things available that one could eat in their car?

aka Michael

Chi mangia bene, vive bene!

"...And bring us the finest food you've got, stuffed with the second finest."

"Excellent, sir. Lobster stuffed with tacos."

I live in Union and wasn't aware of this place until a few years ago when it was named best fried chicken by the Munchmobile. I've since gone and love the chicken. It's good to order ahead, as they don't cook the chicken until you order it. Next time I'll try the ribs. I believe the same people have another restaurant on Bergen Ave. in Newark.

John the hot dog guy

They do have several sandwiches, my only caveat is, given the size of the portions, they may be too big and sloppy to eat on the go.

Whiting Sandwich

Catfish Sandwich

BBQ pork or Beef Sandwich

"rib" sandwich

Come to mind, there are more that I don't recall.

Still searching for hash browns in Jersey.

• 2 months later...

I tried this place last week. I called for a faxed menu so I could order in advance. The pork ribs were nice and spicy, smoky and meaty, and a bit chewy and charred, not super tender. The fried chicken was good too. Coleslaw tasty, chopped pretty fine. Potato salad was all right, I sensed some mustard in the mayo base. Collards seemed a bit flat, I was expecting a porkier, saltier flavor. Same for the black eyed peas. My grandmother made better black eyed peas, and I liked her turnip greens better than these collards, I couldn't do it so easily myself, but they could be improved upon.

Next time I'll try the fried catfish. I think this place is worth a try if you're looking for some southern cooking, the chicken and ribs were very tasty.