• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Oyster mushrooms: the discussion

Kent Wang

I can tell you that Dave Arnold's "wet and crowded" technique works beautifully for them. Last time I had a batch I made a simple omelette and then made a mushroom cream sauce (cooked the mushrooms wet and crowded in butter and water, then when done deglazed with bourbon, finished with cream). It's actually what I had for lunch today, though not with oysters.

Edited by Chris Hennes
Added link (log)

Chris Hennes
Director of Operations
chennes@egullet.org

It's important to clean oyster mushrooms very thoroughly, as the exposed gills retain grit and dirt. For small quantities you can use a brush. Rinsing is possible for large amounts but does not always get every particle out.

They overcook quite quickly and become tough and chewy, so it's best to keep an eye on them so they don't lose their delicate texture.

As the taste is rather subtle it's nice to pair them with something simple that won't overpower their flavour, like an omelet or scrambled eggs, or use them in a cream sauce.

Edited by Plantes Vertes (log)

I use them in a mushroom risotto. Lightly cook and add them at the end. They have none of the resilience of buttons--a few seconds too long and you're eating rubber.

Chris Taylor

Host, eG Forums - ctaylor@egstaff.org

I've never met an animal I didn't enjoy with salt and pepper.

Melbourne
Harare, Victoria Falls and some places in between

What type of oyster mushrooms are they? There are several (some examples here).

Some are very delicate and go well with eggs as has been mentioned. Or added to soups near the end so that they don't overcook. I've also served them raw in salads.

The more robust types work well in stir fries. They are also added to hotpots.

King oysters are more suitable for braising.

...your dancing child with his Chinese suit.

The Kitchen Scale Manifesto

King oysters are also frequently sliced length-wise and pan-fried w/ a very little oil. See here for an example. They're lovely this way.

I like to use the "delicate" variety of oyster mushroom (秀珍菇) (see Liuzhou's link), which I commonly get from my local Chinese grocery, in stir-fries of fresh mushroom medleys; or with other vegetables with or without other mushrooms as well. See here for examples. Also here, here, and here.

With the more robust "Phoenix Tail" type (凤尾菇) (see again Liuzhou's link) I prefer to simply stir-fry them alone (i.e. without other mushrooms) with some ginger and scallions, maybe. See here for an example (scroll down to the 8th sub-section/sub-post).

I would rarely use butter as the "oil" but that is a personal preference. (I would use butter for fresh chanterelles, OTOH)

Edited by huiray (log)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks everyone! Very helpful ideas. I wonder if the delicate oyster mushrooms will work as well in the "wet and crowded" technique Chris used. I may have to get more to try it.

I like them raw, particularly in salads like insalata di funghi:  sliced mushrooms, lettuce, shaved Parmigiano. 

Wild mushroom ragout also works.

Edited by SobaAddict70 (log)

• 8 years later...

Saw these at local market not known for many culinary prizes...wasn't sure if they were a delicacy or a mushroom-gone-bad. 

Señor Google says they are pink oyster 'shrooms. 

Some sites say they taste bacon when cooked.  

Vamos a ver.

pink oysters.jpg

Edited by Smithy
Title edited for clarity (log)
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

They are very beautiful. Hope you enjoy them. 

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

51 minutes ago, gulfporter said:

Saw these at local market not known for many culinary prizes...wasn't sure if they were a delicacy or a mushroom-gone-bad. 

Señor Google says they are pink oyster 'shrooms. 

Some sites say they taste bacon when cooked.  

Vamos a ver.

pink oysters.jpg

I'm picking up a grow kit for pink oysters from a local supplier shortly. Curious to hear what you think of them.

• Like 3

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

Oyster mushrooms come in many colours from white, passing through yellow, pink and even blue before grey and black. They do tend to hold their colour when very lightly cooked and who wouldn't want to do anything other than lightly cook them⁈⁈⁈ Young specimens can also be eaten raw in salads, but taste somewhat metallic to some people.

My local supermarket usually stocks 3 or 4 colours. My favourite are the 'golden' or 'yellow'. The choice of descriptor depends on which memberof staff is in charge of sign writing that day.

They also sell the yellow ones dried and they can be crumbled and added to salads.

1070154187_GoldenOysters2.thumb.jpg.9980b352fc2d33a39b9ce131cc159c1f.jpg

There is no real difference between them in terms of taste, though.

Edited by liuzhou (log)
  • Like 4

Did a quick sauté with a shallot and garlic.  I had read that if cooked till crisp they taste like bacon.  Decided not to do that with all of them, but the smaller bits in the pan did crisp up and were a nice contrast to the softer ones. 

They were tasty and as with most mushrooms, a good meat substitute.  I tried them raw and they were awful--many sites said bitter, and I agree!

pinkoysterpasta.jpg

• Like 6

20 hours ago, gulfporter said:

I tried them raw and they were awful--many sites said bitter, and I agree!

I do have a high tolerance level for bitterness (developed in China) and only ever really  noticed it in aging mushrooms.

As for retaining colour, yes they will change unless you whip them out of the pan just as it begins to change. I'm mostly experienced with the yellow ones, but have cooked both pink and blue to my and my guests' satisfaction. But they are Chinese and appreciate bitter foods more. Also, I find the younger mushrooms retain colour more.

1 hour ago, Katie Meadow said:

Never a bad thing to remind people who forage for mushrooms that besides the importance of proper ID, there are many mushrooms out there that are okay eaten cooked, but should not be eaten raw. 

I, too,  wondered about this because I had heard at some point in the distant past that raw mushrooms were not good for one. But I cannot now find anything to back that up. 

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

My 2004 eG Blog

2 hours ago, Anna N said:

I, too,  wondered about this because I had heard at some point in the distant past that raw mushrooms were not good for one. But I cannot now find anything to back that up. 

I could be misinformed, but my warning is for wild picked foraged mushrooms in particular. I know that there are plenty of people who eat common supermarket mushrooms raw and don't suffer bad consequences, but that vague warning about all raw mushrooms is still floating about. Some sources say that raw mushrooms don't give up their nutrients readily and that they should all be cooked for that reason. I don't eat any mushrooms without cooking them, but that's partly because I don't like them raw.

I used to belong to the SF Mycological Society and it was generally agreed that certain wild mushrooms can make you sick when eaten raw but are tasty and fine to eat cooked. It's been a while since I foraged for shrooms, but caution is always advised. Here in coastal CA Deathcaps, aka Destroying Angels or Amanita phalliodes, are common in the winter. I haven't heard about any disasters in the last few years, but apparently Deathcaps look like a common edible in Southeast Asia. But of course we haven't had a lot of rain in the last few years, so maybe that's limited the body count.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Katie Meadow said:

I haven't heard about any disasters in the last few years, but apparently Deathcaps look like a common edible in Southeast Asia. But of course we haven't had a lot of rain in the last few years, so maybe that's limited the body count.

Not sure about that, but Leucoagaricus leucothites - a widespread edible that grows in grassy areas - is a near-ringer for Amanita virosa, the Destroying Angel. Needless to say, despite its edibility, L. leucothites is universally described as a mushroom for experts only.

“Who loves a garden, loves a greenhouse too.” - William Cowper, The Task, Book Three

"Not knowing the scope of your own ignorance is part of the human condition...The first rule of the Dunning-Kruger club is you don’t know you’re a member of the Dunning-Kruger club.” - psychologist David Dunning

7 hours ago, Anna N said:

It depends very much on the species.

Two mushrooms not to eat raw, but are fine cooked are

Shimeji Mushrooms. This "Japanese" mushroom is widely distributed far from Japan. It is unconscionably bitter when raw, but this disappears when cooked.

Pilose Antler Mushroom, fried chicken mushroom, or chicken of the gravelLyophyllum decastes. I have no idea how widely distributed these are but you don't want to be eating them raw. They can cause nausea, diarrhea and even liver failure. Delicious cooked, though.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, liuzhou said:

Two mushrooms not to eat raw, but are fine cooked are

Shimeji Mushrooms. This "Japanese" mushroom is widely distributed far from Japan. It is unconscionably bitter when raw, but this disappears when cooked.

Pilose Antler Mushroom, fried chicken mushroom, or chicken of the gravelLyophyllum decastes. I have no idea how widely distributed these are but you don't want to be eating them raw. They can cause nausea, diarrhea and even liver failure. Delicious cooked, though.

Thanks. Not much fear that I would eat any mushroom raw. The only ones I have tried that way are white button mushrooms and I think they are boring. 

My 2004 eG Blog

31 minutes ago, Anna N said:

Thanks. Not much fear that I would eat any mushroom raw. The only ones I have tried that way are white button mushrooms and I think they are boring. 

Oh. I love  raw white buttons. Dressed with a lemony vinaigrette.

• Like 2