• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Saffron in Cocktails

Vesper Lynd

Well we’ve been distracted from our duties over at the Stomping Through the Savoy thread :raz: by some colour and movement, well more colour and flavour really, in the form a of a bottle of Taj Mahal Saffron Syrup. We came across this item, whilst idly browsing through our local purveyor of unusual and hard to get ingredients and cookware. Immediately our thoughts turned to the possibility of using this ingredient in a cocktail.

A little research (googling) showed that we are far from the first to have struck upon this idea. It also provided us with a starting point and some additional ideas for us to pursue. We decided that potential companions to the Saffron, would be pear, vanilla and ginger. In the end we decide to start our experimentation with Josheph Cartron Poire Williams (Eau de vie) and Absolut Vanilia.

Our first concoction consisted simply of;

2 ½ oz of Cartron Poire Williams

2 dashes of Taj Mahal Saffron Syrup

Stirred with ice and double strained.

gallery_51780_4191_24124.jpg

Unfortunately we underestimated the dominance of the Poire Williams and overestimated the power of the Saffron syrup, so whilst the drink was dominated by poire Williams, there was still a very subtle undertone of saffron.

Next we tried mixing;

2 oz Cartron Poire Williams

½ oz Absolut Vanilia

¼ oz Taj Mahal Saffron Syrup

Stirred with ice and double strained.

gallery_51780_4191_2524.jpg

This proved to be a much more satisfactory drink, however the sweetness of the syrup, and the luscious aromas of the pear and the vanilla meant, that this drink would be much more suitable as a dessert cocktail, than the exotic aperitif that we were hoping for.

We’d be very interested to hear from anyone else who has experiment with Saffron syrup or had a drink that included this ingredient.

As a garnish we thought that a saffron thread bleeding a little extra colour into the drink would be ideal. This proved a lot more difficult to achieve than we had first imagined, in fact we have yet to achieve it. First we tried to gently bruise the saffron thread and then steep it in warm water, no go as the thread is too brittle. So as a change of tactic we first steeped the thread then bruised it, this method resulted in the colour being lost before it hit the drink. There must be a way we can achieve the effect we are looking for, but we are yet to strike upon it.

I should never have switched from Scotch to Martinis

~Alleged last words of Humphery Bogart.

I'd suggest trying to separate the taste experience within the drink, as the delicate aromas and crisp, clean finish of a quality eau-de-vie is too easily ruined when mixed.

Try infusing a long slice of pear in a bath of vanilla extract and saffron threads (the pear should absorb the color), and place in a grappaglass of the pear EDV when serving. I've had this with a bitters infusion and its fabulous.

Thanks for you comments eas.

We were initially a little worried about overpowering the eau-de-vie, as you can see from our first concoction. However we quickly discovered that the Cartron Poire Williams is quite robust and well able to hold it's own even in our second concoction.

I've got one more concoction I want to try before I consign the saffron syrup to the desert cabinet :hmmm:

Third time lucky?

Not quite, but todays effort was certainly an improvement, and a step in the right direction.

2 oz Cartron Poire Williams

¼ oz Absolut Vanilia

¼ oz Taj Mahal Saffron Syrup

2 thin slices of peeled fresh ginger.

Shaken, very hard, with ice and double strained, to remove any ginger fragments.

The ginger acted to balance out the sweetness, and the reduction in the Absolut Vanilia reduced the "apparent" sweetness that we were picking up on the nose yesterday. All in all a much improved result.

We still have one other variation to try before we put this little project to bed :wink:

One of my original cocktails on the list at Amada was a Saffron-Vanilla martini. I did it with saffron infused vodka and Licor 43.

Law of Desire

1.5 oz saffron vodka

.75 oz Licor 43

.25 oz Southern Comfort

.25 oz sour mix

Shake all into up glass, add pinch chili threads for garnish.

Saffron and vanilla go very well together. The Cartron Poire Williams is very strongly flavored. If you want to add some pear flavor perhaps Belle de Brillet (a pear cognac) or Marie Brizard Poire William liqueur might be a bit more subtle and easier to work with.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Thanks Katie

Is the Saffron Vodka a commercial product or something you infused yourself? What is the flavour associated with Licor 43?

Thanks Katie

Is the Saffron Vodka a commercial product or something you infused yourself? What is the flavour associated with Licor 43?

Hi VL:

The saffron vodka I infused myself. Big pinch of saffron in the bottle. Let sit for a couple of days and strain. I suspect it would infuse even better if the bottle were in a tub of hot water to start, to slightly heat up the vodka.

Licor 43 is a vanilla, citrus and herb flavored liqueur from Spain. Supposedly has 43 ingredients in it. Very tasty stuff. I like it because it imparts sweetness and some texture to a drink, as well as a delicious vanilla flavor.

Katie M. Loeb
Booze Muse, Spiritual Advisor

Author: Shake, Stir, Pour:Fresh Homegrown Cocktails

Cheers!
Bartendrix,Intoxicologist, Beverage Consultant, Philadelphia, PA
Captain Liberty of the Good Varietals, Aphrodite of Alcohol

Perhaps if you were to take out say 1/4 cup of vodka and gently warm it then add the Saffron threads and bruise then in the warmed vodka and then return to the bottle?

The Licor 43 sounds similar to Ponche Soto.

BTW. You are very right about the Cartron it's just a huge hit of pear on all fronts.

Thanks Katie

Hi VL:

The saffron vodka I infused myself. Big pinch of saffron in the bottle. Let sit for a couple of days and strain. I suspect it would infuse even better if the bottle were in a tub of hot water to start, to slightly heat up the vodka.

Licor 43 is a vanilla, citrus and herb flavored liqueur from Spain. Supposedly has 43 ingredients in it. Very tasty stuff. I like it because it imparts sweetness and some texture to a drink, as well as a delicious vanilla flavor.

[...]

The Licor 43 sounds similar to Ponche Soto.

[...]

Sorry to get a bit off the Saffron topic...

So what is the story with Ponche?

Spanish or Portuguese liqueurs? Anything else to tell?

Googling doesn't turn up much in English and I've ever only seen it the once in American stores.

---

Erik Ellestad

If the ocean was whiskey and I was a duck...

Bernal Heights, SF, CA

Ponche Soto, is Spanish. It had been something I had steered away from primary due it's chrome bottle :blink: until I had the chance to try it at a Spanish Restaurant. Were it was served over ice, as a digestive, very nice it was too.

You are right there is very little information on the net concerning this drink.

Ponche; Brandy and sherry based herbal digestive spirit flavoured with orange. First made by Jose de Soto, Jerez de la Frontera, Spain. Moonshine versions proliferate in Iberia.
Edited by Vesper Lynd (log)

• 4 weeks later...

I have been toying with this idea: making a white wine reduction syrup as a cocktail base -such as a riesling syrup, and using it with a saffaron infused gomme.

Has anyone used saffaron as an ingredient in a cocktail? If I am not mistaken, there is a bit of it in Jack Daniels.