• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

The One we have been waiting for

FistFullaRoux

Probably true, pure Bourdain, but a bit pat.

I'm sure Tony knows that his legions of adoring fans, (amongst whom I number myself), are not the result of the food in his restaurants, (which I've never been to), or readers of his novels and non-fiction work, (which I read before he was on television).

As such, it seems a bit unseemly for him to badmouth the Food Network, despite his understandable disappointment in their current programming. Rather like an ungrateful offspring?

But, I guess that's part of what makes Tony, "Tony"? :wink:

SB (begrudges neither Tony nor Food Network the chance to make a buck) :smile:

Probably true, pure Bourdain, but a bit pat.

I'm sure Tony knows that his legions of adoring fans, (amongst whom I number myself), are not the result of the food in his restaurants, (which I've never been to), or readers of his novels and non-fiction work, (which I read before he was on television).

As such, it seems a bit unseemly for him to badmouth the Food Network, despite his understandable disappointment in their current programming.  Rather like an ungrateful offspring?

But, I guess that's part of what makes Tony, "Tony"? :wink:

SB (begrudges neither Tony nor Food Network the chance to make a buck) :smile:

Yeah, this is just shooting chum in a bucket for Bourdain, and he's done it forever, since he sodomized Legasse in "KC," and lived to repent in "The Nasty Bits." Fun reading as always.

Hey, I think "Typhoid Mary" is an important book.

Margaret McArthur

"Take it easy, but take it."

Studs Terkel

1912-2008

A sensational tennis blog from freakyfrites

margaretmcarthur.com

We all learned how to cook different ways. Some at mom (grandma, dad's, etc)'s knee and others by throwing themselves into the fire. I'm the latter..but I can understand how a young person would gravitate to ftv to learn the basics. is it a bad thing? yea, probably if not corrected soon. But if the person learns something, and then forages off on his/her own learning about cooking then a good thing it is.

There are billions of people out there. Some of them need to learn english cooking terms to work. There are at least 3 shows on fnw that do that simply and in 30 minutes. lets let them have their recognition.

Let's start a thread on really good cooking show ideas and see how it pans out, no road shows though, that's been done to death.

Edited by highchef (log)

I think the major beef with the food network is not neccesarily that it's dumbing down the content to make it more approachable so much as it's apparent shift towards fostering low expectations and standards. Starting with simple basics is fine as the start towards an ever improving journey, throwing shit from a can into a pot and telling viewers that your dinner party guests will never know is not.

PS: I am a guy.

Seeing Tony piling on Rachael Ray in particular or the Food Network in general is is hardly illuminating, but it was interesting to see who he actually likes. Interesting to see Emeril and DiLaurentis get his tat of approval.

I'm on the pavement

Thinking about the government.