• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Pairing advice

ghost

So unfortunately I presently know very little about wine. Tomorrow we are going up to Bouchon in Yountville for a group dinner. Last time we got wine from their list, but this time I'm thinking about taking my own up. I'll be able to get a few bottles fro the price of one there. So with that said, I plan on having the steak frites. Anyone care to make any suggestions? Something in the 30-40 dollar/bottle range would be fine. I think last time I had Domain of Usseglio - Châteauneuf du Pape 2003 Rouge. It was delicious, if I can find it locally I may even pick up another bottle. Anyone have any suggestions?

WhizWit.net -- My blog on Food, Life, and Politics

Just that it is sort of bad form to bring a wine into a restaurant that already exists on their list... Most restaurants understand that customers will bring in something not as easily obtainable. I don't know Bouchon's list well enough to make a suggestion based on that, however.

But, for a steak frites, I would consider a big, meaty Syrah.

While it is fun to get suggestions here, I would suggest you engage the wine person or sommelier at the restaurant. I often find that discussing a wine choice with these folks often leads to a pleasurable meal and drinking experience.

It lets the restaurant know you are interested in food and wine and often leads to a selection that you would not normally experience.

I would also forget about looking for a bargain. The key factor is how much you are willing to spend. The important goal is to find a wine on the list that compliments your food and your own preferences leading to a nice experience within your budget of course--priceless.

Many retailers in your area have their inventory online, or at least listed in wine-searcher.com. If you can point us to your favorite retailer, perhaps we can actually see their list and then suggest wines that you can actually get.

But to keep it broad, I agree with Carolyn--a meaty West Coast syrah or a good Rhone CdP style. A zin/syrah blend like the ones Linne Calodo makes, or a cab/syrah blend would also be great with the steak frites.

Edited to add: Oops, I see now your dinner was on the 10th. What did you select and how did it go?

Mary Baker

Solid Communications

Find me on Facebook