• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

How long for full proof at 57 degrees?

CRUZMISL

Hi All,

I was thinking of making a sourdough loaf and having a long slow proof to develop more flavor but was curious how long it would take at 57 degrees. I plan on putting the dough in my banneton in the wine cellar.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Joe

PS The dough only uses 1/4 tsp of instant yeast, the rest of the leavening comes from the starter.

Sourdough is a complex system with many different processes happening simultaneously, each of which changes rate with temperature differently.

1. Extraction (dissolving) of flavour compounds from the flour, especially whole wheat and the like. Tends to increase with temperature. Presoaking the flour with some of the water helps.

2. Ratio of lacto-bacillus (and its side products) to yeast.

graph1.jpg

Although there is some more at 57F, the optimum is around 85F-90F

3. Ratio of lactic to acetic acid produced by the lacto-bacillus. This alters the "tang". Many factors here, such as the exact composition of the sourdough culture, the amount of oxygen present, and the stiffness of the dough (stiffer is more flavoursome, but smaller holes)

4. Decomposition of the starch and the gluten by the acid. In many cases this is the limiting factor during proof, and is only marginally affected by temperature.

You might consider a two stage process: ferment a stiff sponge starter warm for a long time to give you the flavour compounds, and then mix and prove a dough at the normal temperature and time (4 hours at 85F from mixing) to give the desired texture.

Yes, omit the yeast, otherwise you are making yeast bread with whatever sourdough flavour you happen to add.

To recap:

Sponge step:

200g flour

100g water

10g mother starter

ferment 12 hours or more at 85F

Dough

400g flour

320g water

10g salt

Pinch Vit C

mix and leave 4 hours

then mix with the sponge starter

Bulk ferment 2 hours at 85F, shape gently, then prove at 85F for 2 hours or overnight (or more) in the refrigerator

Bake with plenty of bottom heat and steam in the first minute. The technique of baking in a pre-heated casserole with the lid on for the first half of the bake works well for home ovens. - see the minimalist bread thread.

Edited by jackal10 (log)

I've actually been experimenting with slow-rise sourdough over the past few weekends. I have been using the same starter for several years, and I take it out of the freezer and feed it twice daily for about three days prior to baking.

I've been doing the first rise for 12 hours at room temp. Then I shape and do another 8-12 hour rise in the refrigerator. Then I let the dough come to room temp for about 2 hours before I bake (500 degree oven on a stone).

This weekend, I was out for longer than I anticipated and after the first rise I was too tired to shape when I got home, so I just "punched" it down (I actually just gently fold it onto itself to deflate), I put it in the fridge for a second 12 hour rise, and the next morning I shaped it and let it proof at room temp for 2 hours. I still had really good results.

I was doing Nancy Silverton's Italian Ring bread, btw.