• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

eG Foodblog: Megan Blocker - Trading Pumas for Uggs

And how could I forget one of the cooler pics from last night? Daniel took this of the two of us (the two on the left...) reflected in the pans on the wall at Room4Dessert...

gallery_26775_2587_159762.jpg

ETA: Let me just state, for the record, what an excellent time we had last night! The night went from totally civilized to completely crazy when Daniel's friends showed up at Room 4 Dessert, which was kind of a neat twist...much more exciting than just going to dinner.

Other fun things that happened...while we were waiting for our table at Degustation, another two people were waiting for theirs. One of those two people turned out to be someone I went to high school with in New Hampshire, who I haven't seen for 10 years. CRAZY! Such a fun, New York night.

Edited by Megan Blocker (log)

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Megan, you had some cucumber!

Thank you for taking us with you this week. Thanks for eating so much for us! You're always the best of guides; following you around is such fun! Have a great trip, and be well.

More Than Salt

Visit Our Cape Coop Blog

Cure Cutaneous Lymphoma

Join the DarkSide---------------------------> DarkSide Member #006-03-09-06

Thanks, guys! I'm glad you've enjoyed it...next time may be cooking only...I'm exhausted! :wink:

Lunch today was something else...I met up with Emma (luckylies), Phil (eatmywords), Nathan (um, nathan), Phil's girlfriend Michelle, Larry (larrylee), and his wife, Yumi at New Yeah Shanghai Deluxe on Bayard Street in Chinatown.

gallery_26775_2587_18589.jpg

Chinatown is always busy, particularly on the weekends, but with the New Year starting tomorrow, things were even more crowded than usual. Walking east on Canal Street was a bit of a nightmarish obstacle course - though, obvs. totally worth it.

Nathan was a bit late, so the rest of us ordered some appetizers to get the blood flowing - TsingTao was the beverage of choice, along with some water, Diet Coke and tea.

First up, soup dumplings...juicy and rich, one order of crab and one order of pork...

gallery_26775_2587_13106.jpg

Second, some spicy oxtail and tripe, alongside some scallion pancakes, piping hot from the fryer.

gallery_26775_2587_10765.jpg

The oxtail was really good...spicy and meaty, served cold.

Next, because, after all, this IS the year of the pig we're celebrating here, we had some fried pork dumplings...

gallery_26775_2587_8758.jpg

Served with black vinegar and ginger sauce, these were rich and hot, and the wrappers were tender and not too chewy - very good dumplings.

In between the two courses, we did these...eight jewels (God forgive me, I don't remember everything in there, but there was chicken, bean curd, peppers, peanuts...) and some excellent spicy cabbage, served cold. Just this side of fermentation, it had an excellent fizzy bite to it.

gallery_26775_2587_15529.jpg

Finally, the mains! We got one noodle dish, pan-fried noodles with beef, shrimp, pork and vegetables. Good, but nothing out of this world.

gallery_26775_2587_31515.jpg

We also ordered these teeny tiny eels with scallions...I liked this dish, but I wasn't in love...maybe it was a texture thing - the sauce made the whole thing just slippery.

gallery_26775_2587_5127.jpg

Finally, the tamp po pork - pork belly in a five-spice sauce, with baby bok choy and served with steamed buns. Soooo good and rich, though I've definitely hit my slow-roasted, falling-apart pork limit.

gallery_26775_2587_6693.jpg

gallery_26775_2587_18790.jpg

I think we did a pretty good job, don't you?

gallery_26775_2587_9776.jpg

(P.S. - Emma REALLY likes soup dumplings...)

gallery_26775_2587_9691.jpg

"We had dry martinis; great wing-shaped glasses of perfumed fire, tangy as the early morning air." - Elaine Dundy, The Dud Avocado

Queenie Takes Manhattan

eG Foodblogs: 2006 - 2007

Megan, the eel dish that I really like at Yeah is from the specialties menu. The waiter puts boiling sesame oil into just before it's served, and it comes with Chinese chives. I'm sorry I wasn't there because I would have suggested some other mains, but it seems to me you did pretty well. Yeah's cold dishes are generally very good. Your picks were good, but since you've had them, try the beef tendon, the kao fu (whatever they're calling it now), and the seaweed next time. I love that look of delectation on Emma's face! :biggrin:

Michael aka "Pan"