• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Kimchi Hana

jb_973

After having a hankering for Korean BBQ, a colleague and I went last night to Kimchi Hana, a Korean BBQ restaurant in South Plainfield, a few miles away from our office.

Kimchi Hana is located at one corner of the Middlesex (Strip) Mall. We arrived there at about 7:30pm, and the place was already quite busy. They serve both Korean BBQ and Sushi, with a mixture of BBQ tables and regular tables. They also have a few Tatami (is that the right term?) rooms. We were seated almost immediately.

After perusing the menu, we decided to go for an order of Bulgogi, and the Spare Ribs. Seven or eight dishes of banchan were brought out, including some great kimchi, as well as a potato dish that was equally flavorful and well spiced (anyone know what this may be?).

About five minutes later, the server returned with two containers of hot charcoal, and placed them in the grill in the middle of the table, and proceeded to place some of the bulgogi and spare ribs on the grill to cook.

Food wise, the bulgogi was absolutely delicious. Tender, well marinated, and complemented by a great peanut-based sauce. That, wrapped up in lettuce, certainly satisfied my appetite. The spare ribs were pretty good as well, although didn't hit such a high point as the bulgogi. Next time I go back, I would be tempted to try the Shrimp option.

Service was friendly and efficient.

Kimchi Hana

6101 Hadley Road

South Plainfield

NJ

(908) 755-0777

p.s. Next time I must remember my camera!

I eat here relatively frequently, as it's much easier to drive down 287 than go into K-town in the City. I find that the banchan on the whole isn't as spicy as I would like, but overall the quality is quite good. Some of their tofu soups are a little bit lacking, so I would recommend sticking to the grilled meats.

Nevertheless, I recommend this place.