• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Adventures in Starting a Chocolate Business

tammylc

• 1 month later...

Chocolot, as noted in this forum, is starting a new chocolatier business and I have posted photos of her wonderful presentation boxes and ideas on another thread. Plus she has been so helpful to me in my efforts to master all this new 'stuff'.

Now the very good news is that Ruth has won 8 out of 10 medals presented this week at the Utah Chocolate Festival.

That should boost her visibility as a new player in the chocolate field. Congratulations, Chocolot!!!!!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

You go, girl.

Darienne

learn, learn, learn...

We live in hope. 

You have got to check out this website.  It's our own Sote23.

I've been going back over the old P&B threads for lack of new posts on eG lately and came across one from not that long ago where Luis asked "do I really need to temper chocolate?"  He's obviously taken all the advice to heart and learned a ton - and just look at this gorgeous website.

So Luis - how do you make the pattern on the top of the chocolate you show in your wedding page?

I agree, Luis, Bravo! Beautiful chocolates. Stencil?

John DePaula
formerly of DePaula Confections
Hand-crafted artisanal chocolates & gourmet confections - …Because Pleasure Matters…
--------------------
When asked “What are the secrets of good cooking? Escoffier replied, “There are three: butter, butter and butter.”

• 1 month later...

I am moving again, second time in the last 7 months. Does anything have a business in the Milwaukee area or know much about small chocolateers in the area?

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

sorry everyone, I never saw this thread. Thanks for the great comments. That chocolate on the wedding page is made with a custom stencil. My wife designed it in Adobe Illustrator, we sent the file to a stencil company and a week later the stencil arrived. To get the pattern, we used luster dust applied with one of those cheapy spongy paint brushes. It works like a charm.

Luis

Wow, those are all so gorgeous! I'm interested to hear how that pattern was made too. If I had to guess, I'd think it was airbrushed on with a stencil after the chocolate had set. How about the Pineapple? Is that a transfer sheet or did you just drizzle a chocolate pattern on them?

(...I'm still looking through the site)

Hi,

The pineapple top is made with putting a layer of white chocolate on top, then drizzle with dark chocolate, it makes great patterns.

Luis

Is there anyone who is based in Wisconsin who is versed in health dept. rules and regs? Can you have a business in your house? I know in Michigan you can have one if there is a separate kitchen area & sometimes an outside entrance? Or if you know a link that is helpful in these issues or even better a ciontact to talk too?

Thanks

Mark

www.roseconfections.com

• 2 weeks later...

Valentines - a great time for a little more positive press on our own Sote23. Check out this link to a nice little article on Luis's business endeavors.