• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Em Chamas - Kansas City

From the Northland, Em Chamas opens at the Tuileries along the Tom Watson Parkway (aka MO-45 Highway).

I wonder if it will be similar to the Fogo de Chão chain restaurant? Menu is not yet online for Em Chamas.

u.e.

“Watermelon - it’s a good fruit. You eat, you drink, you wash your face.”

Italian tenor Enrico Caruso (1873-1921)

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

ulteriorepicure@gmail.com

Haven't eaten yet, but I dropped in to check out the restaurant. They offer one "Rodizio" (sp?) service for dinner only - $29.95 for all you can eat salad buffet and different cuts of meat. So, like Fogo, but half the price... of course, I don't know if the buffet and variety of meats is as fresh and wide-ranging.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account

Unidentifiable cuts of meat served by someone in a puffy shirt with a sword.

That's great... now where did I put my New Coke?

I'm afraid that's always been my reaction to the concept, too, Allen. :huh: but I feel that way about all-you-can-eat/buffets of all kinds - regardless of whether the servers are armed and dangerous or wearing puffy shirts. I suppose if Antonio Banderas worked there I would make an exception.

UE, did they appear to have any offerings other than meat and salad (e.g. other Brazilian specialities)?

ETA: I know Banderas is not Brazilian - I was just reminded of his Zorro role by the shirt/sword combo.

Edited by moosnsqrl (log)

Judy Jones aka "moosnsqrl"

Sharing food with another human being is an intimate act that should not be indulged in lightly.

M.F.K. Fisher

UE, did they appear to have any offerings other than meat and salad (e.g. other Brazilian specialities)?

Alas, my glance at the empty restaurant (I went in before service) was very brief and limited. They had no menu to speak of, other than wines (by bottle and glass). So, I can't say, but I seriously doubt it. I'm pretty sure the hostess said that they don't have a menu because it's just the Rodizio service - the Fogo format where it's meat-fest and a salad bar. Now, if I remember correctly, I spent almost my entire time at Fogo at the salad bar - which was stellar. Not $60 worth, but certainly, stellar. Fresh and fat heart of palm, smoked fishes, cured meats, and just about every salad ingredient and salad green you can think of. Cheese, galore, and I think some soups... and fresh fruit.

But, if you're looking for good feijoada or acaraje, I think you'll be sorely disappointed.

u.e.

ulteriorepicure.com

My flickr account