• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Southern inspired hors d'oeuvres

My friend and I have a small catering gig in couple of weeks. The host wants a Southern inspired and upscale hor d'oeurve menu, for a fashion opening at a Chelsea gallery in NYC. Also, a limited budget.

Any suggestion other than hushpuppies sliders with pulled pork and mini crabcake?? Thanks.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Do you know about deviled eggs ... that is a classic ... :wink:

and there are some ideas here which are southern as well: hors d'oeuvres .. y'all

HOT CRAB DIP

OYSTERS ROCKEFELLER

VIRGINIA HAM AND MELON APPLE CHUTNEY ON CORN BREAD ROUNDS

DEVILED CRAB

SHREDDED COLLARD GREENS WITH WALNUTS AND PICKLED APPLES

BLACK-EYED PEA DIP

HAM BISCUITS

Edited by Gifted Gourmet (log)

Melissa Goodman aka "Gifted Gourmet"

spiced pecans

benne wafers topped w/goat or cream cheese and a dollop of pepper jelly

pickled shrimp or oysters

cheese straws

miniature ham biscuits are nice as Gifted Gourmet mentioned. Make sure the ham is southern country ham though...

If you can borrow or get a hold of Frank Stitt's cookbook or the recent one by the Lee Brothers you'll likely find a bunch of "upscale" or more modern ideas as well. I think the Lee Brothers' cookbook has a recipe for catfish pate

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Brennan's in NOLA offers baked oysters three ways: Bienville, Rockefeller and Fonseca. Hard to get more southern, or more upscale,

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

Pepper jellies are always a hit, as opposed to the traditional Southern presentation over cream cheese, how about a Sweet Pepper Jelly over an herbed cream cheese? (Let me know if you want the recipe), and there are tons of different flavors of pepper jelly, we make 12 kinds with a variety of heat levels. Pulled pork and coleslaw on a corn bread muffin? Which area of the south are you focusing on? That could make a big difference. Good luck!

If you look in the Stitt book you will see something I really love in there.. The cured pork loin sitting on the sweet potato crostini.. Very easy to do and can be served at any temp.. I just made the pickled shrimp this last Sunday, it was really good too.. How about turtle soup and serve little cups.. At this place in Atlanta called Bones I had grits mixed with a creamy cheese and cooled.. They then coated and deep fried.. I would even go so far as to putting a little country ham in the middle of the grits before frying..

Edited by Daniel (log)

Pepper jellies are always a hit, as opposed to the traditional Southern presentation over cream cheese, how about a Sweet Pepper Jelly over an herbed cream cheese?  (Let me know if you want the recipe), and there are tons of different flavors of pepper jelly, we make 12 kinds with a variety of heat levels.  Pulled pork and coleslaw on a corn bread muffin?  Which area of the south are you focusing on?  That could make a big difference.  Good luck!

I absolutely love pepper jellies, and they were the first thing I thought of, along with that old southern classic, Jezebel Sauce, also traditionalloy served over cream cheese with crackers alongside. And you're right that they're always a big hit.

But not sure how 'upscale' they are.

Edited to add: In an earlier post, I suggested Oysters Bienville, Rockefeller and/or Fonseca. If you're interested, not only are there many versions for all three online, you can find excellent (and authentic, of course) recipes in the Brennan's Cookbook.

Edited by Jaymes (log)

I don't understand why rappers have to hunch over while they stomp around the stage hollering.  It hurts my back to watch them. On the other hand, I've been thinking that perhaps I should start a rap group here at the Old Folks' Home.  Most of us already walk like that.

I'd also suggest you thumb through "Being Dead is No Excuse"

It's supposedly a guide to throwing the perfect Southern funeral. Lots of...ahem....finger food.

probably not upscale by nature, but maybe you could fancy up the presentation:

bmt shooters - cherry tomatoes stuffed with bacon, mayo and a bit of green onion

fried green tomato sandwich with fresh mozzarella (or a fried green tomato blt)

cheddar grit cake triangles

pickled shrimp as mentioned earlier

ham w/ sweet potato biscuits (or regular biscuits and some peach preserves)

chess, pecan and fudge pie tartlets

Upon reflection, aside from my under-development "Bloody Mary Gelée" there is a local catering company that makes a delicious collard green pesto. They serve it in little cups atop fairly tight grits (not instant).

If you look in the Stitt book you will see something I really love in there.. The cured pork loin sitting on the sweet potato crostini.. Very easy to  do and can be served at any temp.. I just made the pickled shrimp this last Sunday, it was really good too.. How about turtle soup and serve little cups.. At this place in Atlanta called Bones I had grits mixed with a creamy cheese and cooled.. They then coated and deep fried.. I would even go so far as to putting a little country ham in the middle of the grits before frying..

I was actually thinking of roasted sweet potato bruschetta. The fried grits is a great idea, I will probably add shrimps and call it fried shrimp & grits. Don't know about serving turtle at fashion week in NYC but I am sure they won't know it is not chicken.

Leave the gun, take the canoli

Probably too messy for your needs, but another classic-in-the-making is the deep-fried pimento cheese balls, as experienced at the Southern Foodways Symposium. 'Minner cheese, rolled in crumbs, dropped in hot fat. Mmmmmmmm.

Kathleen Purvis, food editor, The Charlotte (NC) Observer

some of the things I have done. Most are self-explanatory and lots of the sauces, toppings, &c can be exchanged as you wish:

Vidalia Onion Fritters w/ Smithfield Ham Sauce

Fried Grit Cake Squares w/ Blackened Shrimp Salad

Smoked Catfish w/ Peach Chutney

Blackened Catfish w/ Green Tomato Relish on toast points

Fried Green Tomato "Sandwiches" (Fried Green Tomatoes w/ Pimento Cheese. I would stack as a sandwich and then quarter for easier eating)

Fried Catfish "Nuggets" w/ Fresh Herb Tartar Sauce

"Georgia (or what ever state you want) Caviar"--black eyed pea salad

There are several outlets for true Catfish Caviar

Lamb "Fries" (folks fr/ Kentucky know about these)

Lots of books have been mentioned but a couple of others you might consider are "A Gracious Plenty" ed. by John Edge and any number of Junior League cook books fr/ various Southern cities.

in loving memory of Mr. Squirt (1998-2004)--

the best cat ever.

Actual southern hors d'oeuvres include:

Benedectine (no, not the sort that you drink)

Cheese Straws

Classic upmarket southern buffet finger food:

Beaten biscuits and country ham (the ham is baked, and beaten biscuits aren't anything like what most people call biscuits)

Classic downmarket item served with alcoholic beverages:

Boiled peanuts

Can you pee in the ocean?