• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

www.london-eating.co.uk

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

As Plato once said

S

"This custard is not custard"

Not much of a review for someone with his reputation :raz:

Who will guard the posters? Errr, that'll be the moderators then.....

A circular discussion that can go nowhere....so a bit like philosophy then.

I

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

As Plato once said

S

"This custard is not custard"

Not much of a review for someone with his reputation :raz:

Who will guard the posters? Errr, that'll be the moderators then.....

A circular discussion that can go nowhere....so a bit like philosophy then.

I

Wikipedia says The question was first asked by Plato in the Republic, his great work on government and morality.... so take it up with them! Maybe the Greek language version wasn't such a big seller in the WH Smiths of the day.

Oh and ha ha. I just read this "In the Simpsons episode Homer the Vigilante, Lisa says to Homer, "Dad, don't you see you're abusing your power like all vigilantes? I mean, if you're the police, who will police the police?" to which he responds, "I dunno. Coast Guard?"

Yeh it is a circular discussion, basically we can all make our own minds up who we read and rate in the same way we do when it comes to the press critics. I know which ones I think haven't got a clue and are just passing through on the way from being the paper's film critic to being the controverisal columnist.

Moderators moderate profanity etc. That's not the same as making critical judgements, that's what editors do.

S

Edited by sunbeam (log)

Moderators moderate profanity etc. That's not the same as making critical judgements, that's what editors do.

<sigh> you clearly haven't been around eGullet and other online fora long enough to appreciate past uses and abuses of power. I'll tell you about it sometime on PM - you'd be surprised.

As an aside other food boards (e.g. MF) have a system of rotating moderators amongst the populus for three month stints precisely because they wish to avoid this situation.

But I suspect I'm veering off-topic. Of course any mods please feel free to delete this if I am. Although be aware that doing so would sort of illustrate my first point.

l8tr

J

More Cookbooks than Sense - my new Cookbook blog!

<sigh> you clearly haven't been around eGullet and other online fora long enough to appreciate past uses and abuses of power. I'll tell you about it sometime on PM - you'd be surprised.

Ive been around a lot of online gaming forums. Until you've experienced moderation there you aint seen nothing!

Power corrupts and absolute power.....

S

I loved this comment on LE:

"An useful tip if you opt for any Polish soup - taste it first and then

decide if you want more salt or seasoning in it. My soup didn't need any

of this and was very tasty".

Is that a waft of snobbery drifiting across from table three? I think that poster was merely rather clumsily making the fair point about not shovelling seasoning on until you have tasted first. Elementary perhaps, but ...

There are some very funny punter reviews on LE if you have a bit of time to kill by browsing around. Some of them intentionally so. Some are even good enough to put the frighteners on the pros, imho.

Re Michael Moore. He is on TV a fair bit, but possibly only Daytime TV.

It is actually a good restaurant, I've been there a few times. He's a genial man, too.

S

No, I just found it funny.

Is that a waft of snobbery drifiting across from table three? I think that poster was merely rather clumsily making the fair point about not shovelling seasoning on until you have tasted first. Elementary perhaps, but ...

Laughing at others' social ineptitude is snobbish. I found it funny, so I must be a snob too.

Laughing at others' social ineptitude is snobbish. I found it funny, so I must be a snob too.

it was only a waft I detected, not a smell!

s

In that case, I am a total one! I also have no doubt that unfortunately the joke has been on me many times as well.

London Eating - in general I find this site pretty useful.

Complements sites like eG, OA, MF and the like (which are more focused, particularly on the haute end) rather than competes.

J

Could Jon or someone else kindly enlighten me on which sites OA and MF are abbreviations for?

Are there others that people would recommend for the UK and France (in English!)?

Could Jon or someone else kindly enlighten me on which sites OA and MF are abbreviations for?

Are there others that people would recommend for the UK and France (in English!)?

<sigh>

These are both sites founded by eGullet legacy members (many of whom, may I add, were formerly cherished members of the eG UK & Ireland community). The former is a closed site, the latter is open to viewing in the public domain. The gist of the content is largely similar to eGullet, but with more non-food discussion and a greater focus on the high-end.

For reasons that are too long, hoary and twisty to go into these sites are persona non grata on eGullet, so I will refrain from providing further details. Happy to chat further offline via PM or email.

Those two and this place are probably the best places to go to for UK and French chat en anglais. Also consider the Chowhound boards, although the discussion tends to be more of a "could someone recommend a visiting tourist a nice, friendly, classy, tasty, reasonably priced restaurant with a great wine list five minutes from my hotel" variety. Which is nice, but a bit f**king sterile the fifteenth time round.

ta

J

A little more info will be available in the 50 Best Foodie Websites in the 17 February edition of the Independent's The Information supplement.

A little more info will be available in the 50 Best Foodie Websites in the 17 February edition of the Independent's The Information supplement.

50? I'm surprised that are that many, although I suppose the definition is flexible and may include shops on line. Shame I only buy the Indy on Sunday (there's only so many doom-laden front pages I can take in a week, no matter how artily laid out)

And won't someone please think of the trees! Saturday and Sunday papers are just out of control supplement-wise.

S

50? I'm surprised that are that many

Forums, blogs, "how to" sites and online shopping.

Sounds riveting. Is the Indy the most boring paper around, albeit wrapped in designer clothes? Answers on postcard to the editor please

S

Edited by sunbeam (log)

Gosh, what a little ray of sunshine you are sunbeam - you brighten all our lives.

No need for the lumpen sarcasm Andy old man, it is the lowest form of wit after all.

I just think there are better things to on a saturday than read that particular paper and its tree-wasting supplements, of which this 50 online sounds like another classic example.

You don't write for it by any chance? I can't see any other reason you would want to defend it.

I'm actually a very cheerful chap and not nearly as pompous as some posters here. It's just that you can't see me smiling as I type!

:biggrin:

There you go, is that better?

S

Bummer

Managed to completely miss this. For some reason I thought it was going to be in the Sindy not the Saturday edition.

Andy cld you or someone else stick up the list. I'd be fascinating to see who/wats on it.

ta

J