• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Food as Definer of US Culture

Carrot Top

2000-2050

1. Pizza, Expanded ( :biggrin: ) Pizza with pineapple or dipped in ranch dressing or with buffalo chicken on it, etc.

2. Burgers, Morphed ( :sad: ) Veggie burgers, burgers with grain added (not as something to "stretch" it but to make it "healthy" . . )

3. Waters to Fix You ( :shock: ) Waters with vitamins, weight loss waters, waters with mysterious extracts, waters whatever they think will sell to people who are buying health in a plastic bottle of water.

4. The Blended Fruit (like the Grapple).

5. Tacos.

Isn't the Grapple just an apple with flavoring added? Is that what you mean by blended? Or are you thinking along the lines of pluot (plum/apricot)?

My lists would be:

1950-2000

Fast food burgers

Pizza

Hot dogs

Turkey dinner

Soft drinks

2000-2050

"Value-added" food (omega-3s, etc)

Fast food burgers

Pizza

Quizno's-type grilled sandwiches

Soft drinks

2000-2050

1. Pizza, Expanded ( :biggrin: ) Pizza with pineapple or dipped in ranch dressing or with buffalo chicken on it, etc.

2. Burgers, Morphed ( :sad: ) Veggie burgers, burgers with grain added (not as something to "stretch" it but to make it "healthy" . . )

3. Waters to Fix You ( :shock: ) Waters with vitamins, weight loss waters, waters with mysterious extracts, waters whatever they think will sell to people who are buying health in a plastic bottle of water.

5. Tacos.

You know, a dippable pizza slice might have a future but I don't see it overwhelming the world of cuisine where it would become emblematic of america's station in the food world. But the burgers you propose might have legs. Definitely the water idea - a medium to transfer vitamins and pharmaceuticals is a no-brainer.

Tacos? Could happen!

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

Isn't the Grapple just an apple with flavoring added? Is that what you mean by blended? Or are you thinking along the lines of pluot (plum/apricot)?

Yes, I was thinking more of the "cutesey" sort of things like the Grapple, which as you say, is an apple injected with grape flavor. :wink:

a no-brainer.

I'm glad you understand and accept me as I am, Johnny. :smile:

The Blended Fruit (like the Grapple).

Pinapricot

Applapple

Peacherry

Uglince

Strawtermelon

Pomegrapear

Passionana

Pineappapaya

Banango

Legal Notice: All of the above are Registered Brand Names of Amalgamated Piss & Vinegar Co, Ltd.

SB (At AP&V, we're full of it :laugh: )

:shock: LOVE them!  :biggrin:

(Though saying them might take some practice . . .  :blink: )

The Marketing Mavens at AP&V have already taken this into account.

To aid the consumer, each combination fruit flavor has been peared (a little fruit company marketing maven humor there :rolleyes: ) with an appropriate mascot of an animal, item of yard maintenance equipment, or Christian sect:

Pinapricotter

Applapplemur

Peacherrysus monkey

Uglinceal

Strawtermelon mower

Pomegrapearrot

Passionanabaptist

Pineappapayak

Banangoat

SB (don't blame me. A maven I ain't :unsure: )

Cornbreads, tortillas, beans, grits, roasted or baked potatoes, smoked or dried meats, popcorn, tamale, roasted meats, cob corn, roasted squash, dried squash, tomatoes, peppers as flavoring both dried and fresh - very visible in the culture and all Native American. In both cultivation and consumption.

They have been on the surface and been redeveloped over several millenia - just not recognized as such. Yep, all the rage, and a worldwide impact.

While I can't find an online reference to a recent interview with Jeffrey M. Pilcher on NPR, his research on Mexican food and national identity sounds fascinating. I did find evidence that his work looks at Mexican food in Texas, too and that he is now looking more globally.

Someone with greater knowledge of Mexican culinary history can fill in the blanks, but he explained how a national cuisine is formed by a comprehensive survey of regional dishes, mentioning the ground-breaking early work of a woman who journeyed from town to village collecting recipes for what was to become a multi-volumed book on Mexican regional cooking. By virtue of uniting these disparate traditions, her work had political implications.

I think the discussion of this pioneering cookbook was presented in the context of what Pilcher has to say about tamales. (I don't know how to format the Amazon link to help eGullet.) Also click on the author's name since more recent publications may be of interest, especially a more generalized study that also treats Italian and Chinese immigrants to the United States in terms of culinary history.

Here's Hidden Kitchen with Pilcher, discussing The Chili Queens of San Antonio

"Viciousness in the kitchen.

The potatoes hiss." --Sylvia Plath

I'm glad you understand and accept me as I am, Johnny. smile.gif

I wouldn't have it any other way, dahling! :rolleyes:

"I took the habit of asking Pierre to bring me whatever looks good today and he would bring out the most wonderful things," - bleudauvergne

foodblogs: Dining Downeast I - Dining Downeast II

Portland Food Map.com

In Louisiana we thought of maple syrup as the American kind and Steen's cane syrup as the Cajun kind. I am sure local maple syrup is much better in New England, but maple syrup in some form is sold all over the country, no?

What about breakfast cereal for the list? Like Corn Flakes and Wheaties? "Breakfast of champions."

Scorpio

You'll be surprised to find out that Congress is empowered to forcibly sublet your apartment for the summer.

There is a joke I heard many moons ago that shares characteristics with Iowa in August (not, as the song has it, Kansas).

It involves a hungry man who walks past a restaurant which has the following sign in the window.

"Special Today: All You Can Eat For Only $2.00"

The man runs into the restaurant and is seated. After indicating that he would like to order the all-you-can-eat special, the waiter thanks him and soon delivers him a bowl of soup.

After some time passes without anything else being served, the man complains to the waiter, "I came for the all-you-can-eat special, but all I've gotten is a bowl of soup."

The waiter replies, "I'm sorry, sir, but that is all you can eat for only $2.00."

Sandy Smith, Exile on Oxford Circle, Philadelphia

"95% of success in life is showing up." --Woody Allen

My foodblogs: 1 | 2 | 3

There is a joke I heard many moons ago that shares characteristics with Iowa in "Special Today:  All You Can Eat For Only $2.00"

The man runs into the restaurant and is seated.  After indicating that he would like to order the all-you-can-eat special, the waiter thanks him and soon delivers him a bowl of soup.

After some time passes without anything else being served, the man complains to the waiter, "I came for the all-you-can-eat special, but all I've gotten is a bowl of soup."

The waiter replies, "I'm sorry, sir, but that is all you can eat for only $2.00."

A school bus driver was bringing the team home after a big game one night. The players hadn't eaten since lunch, and after a hard fought battle on the gridiron, were ravenously hungry.

The bus driver sees a sign on a restaurant proclaiming:

"Special Today: All You Can Eat For Only $2.00"

The driver pulls into the parking lot and unloads the hungry team. Needless to say, they devoured a copious amount of food.

After the meal the restaurant manager presented the bill for the meal to the driver, who handed the manager two one-dollar bills. When the manager protested this was hardly enough to cover the tab, the bus driver replied;

"The sign said all us could eat for only two dollars."

SB :wacko: