• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Spring, Paris 9e

pierre45

I'll be in Paris from the 3rd to the 8th and would love to try Spring.  I will email Daniel to see if I can get an RSVP under the ledge, I've heard such good things that I'm already drooling.

Cheers!  :cool:

If you don't hear back (he's got lots of email traffic) pick up the phone and call, a bit before dinner is a good time.

Thanks John, I'll do that if I haven't heard before I leave on 2 July.

• 1 month later...

Our dinner here week before last was arguably the best of our two week stay in France: carrot soup with foie gras, cabillaude with beets, chorizo, mint, green heirloom tomatoes, superb dressing; spoon tender veal (sous vide?) with potato and almond puree, slivers of grilled eggplant, jus, house potato chip(s), orange marinated dried apricot; peaches, apricots, (strawberries?,) raspberries, cherries in vervane soup, knob of ganache, pistachios and mint, Crement du Bourgogne which we drank throughout the meal. As Daniel explained to us, don't look for a repeat of this menu or even of any single plate. He makes it up as he goes along, guided by market availability and his own daily whims.

His delicious plates are considered and thoughtfully put together, without gratuitous garniture or duplication of ingredients within the meal. As if that weren't enough, Daniel comes across as a genuinely good person. What a lovely address!

Edited by Margaret Pilgrim (log)

eGullet member #80.

Our dinner here week before last was arguably the best of our two week stay in France: carrot soup with foie gras, cabillaude with beets, chorizo, mint, green heirloom tomatoes, superb dressing; spoon tender veal (sous vide?) with potato and almond puree, slivers of grilled eggplant, jus, house potato chip(s), orange marinated dried apricot; peaches, apricots, (strawberries?,) raspberries, cherries in vervane soup, knob of ganache, pistachios and mint, Crement du Bourgogne which we drank throughout the meal.  As Daniel explained to us, don't look for a repeat of this menu or even of any single plate.  He makes it up as he goes along, guided by market availability and his own daily whims.

His delicious plates are considered and thoughtfully put together, without gratutitous garniture or duplication of ingredients within the meal.  As if that weren't enough, Daniel comes across as a genuinely good person.  What a lovely address!

DAMN! Can't believe I missed this one. He was booked every night I was in Paris. :angry:

Our dinner here week before last was arguably the best of our two week stay in France:  What a lovely address!

DAMN! Can't believe I missed this one. He was booked every night I was in Paris. :angry:

Yet another reason to eat one's big meal at lunch; last Thursday there were plenty of seats available.

John Talbott

blog John Talbott's Paris

Is Daniel still doing lunch? I thought it said on his website that he was dinner only Tue - Sat.

"When planning big social gatherings at our home, I wait until the last minute to tell my wife. I figure she is going to worry either way, so I let her worry for two days rather than two weeks."
-EW

Is Daniel still doing lunch? I thought it said on his website that he was dinner only Tue - Sat.

Since Daniel reads this Forum, he can answer for himself but he served six of us for lunch last week, with I think 2 other couples. When I asked him, he said he'll open if "there's a demand," which I interpret to mean if he gets reservations. The kitchen was certainly functioning at full speed that day. I'll be posting my review soon.

John Talbott

I can't explain why I have been so interested in this restaurant having never been, or likely to go in the forseeable future, but I have followed this thread with interest. Perhaps because it seems like Daniel is living the dream - having his own restaurant on his own terms and doing such a grand job of it.

Anyway, its obviously interested a few others in the UK as Terry Durack has reviewed it in the Independent. See here.

Edited by offcentre (log)

I can't explain why I have been so interested in this restaurant having never been, or likely to go in the forseeable future, but I have followed this thread with interest. Perhaps because it seems like Daniel is living the dream - having his own restaurant on his own terms and doing such a grand job of it.

Anyway, its obviously interested a few others in the UK as Terry Durack has reviewed it in the Independent. See here.

Thanks offcentre, I couldn't get link to work but got it by Googling Spring Terry Durack Independent. Daniel also mentioned that Tom Sietsema of the Washington Post had been there but I've not seen his review/article there yet.

As for

it seems like Daniel is living the dream
interesting that Hidden Kitchen too is a dream fulfilled.

Ah Paris.

John Talbott

• 4 weeks later...
It has probably been previously mentioned, but for those eGulleteers who haven't seen it, the Sept. restaurant issue of Bon Appetit has a nice 6 page article replete with photos of Spring and Daniel Rose by Alan Richman.

Thank Laidback, not everyone reads the Digest. Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

It has probably been previously mentioned, but for those eGulleteers who haven't seen it, the Sept. restaurant issue of Bon Appetit has a nice 6 page article replete with photos of Spring and Daniel Rose by Alan Richman.

Thank Laidback, not everone reds the [urlhttp://forums.egullet.org/index.php?showtopic=97669&st=30]Digest.

And then there are those who like me, read practically all of your summations and have the age induced memory capacity of anywhere up to several days. Anyway it was another in a long line of encouragements for what Daniel is doing.

We were lucky to get reservations at Spring for Tuesday July 3rd. We absolutely loved his place. The way he stands watching to see how everyone likes his food is fun to watch. That is passion you don't see very often. Every dish we had was exquisite and paired nicely with a nice red burg off his short list.

The most amazing thing was the final bill -- less than 150 euros for 2 which included a fair amount of good wine. If we had been careful with the wine it would have been far less.

I'm looking for another excuse to go to Paris for a return trip.

• 2 months later...

While I pretend to only eat at new places, when Colette comes over, we go back to Golden Oldies and although I’ve already reported on them, I’m frequently compelled to comment.

Thus, while I first ate here a year ago (and it’s a Golden Oldie even at one year), I managed to sneak in a comment when Daniel Rose started serving lunch, and today I will add to that, since he has a new sous-chef and server and the team is wonderful.

When I called to reserve I said it would be game season, so……., we agreed on a date, I said it’s the day of the big strike, he said, no problem, we’re all scooterized, I said cool, we’ll walk over. I called this morning, in business?, sure, and it’s gibiers, you remembered, of course. And we trod over the mountain and the tables were full, even with no Metros, RER’s or buses running. And the meal was impeccable; a nem with pumpkin, beet puree with a spot of vanilla, a wonderfully warm but not fully cooked scallop and mustard greens; three pieces of perdreau, which we remarkably were able to translate for a loyal reader as young partridge (in which a neighbor actually found a buckshot) with its own sauce and teeny/tiny girolles, a potato baton with teeny/tiny chopped abats (I think) and chopped greens; and a pear two-ways (cooked and raw) with a pot of runny chocolate like the runny inside of a moelleux with a tad of whipped cream on top. He had two reds we’d never had before: a Portuguese and “Soleil de……” and a great Armagnac. Heaven.

At 108 € for two, this is the best price/quality place in town since Eric Frechon’s 170 FF in the 19th. Plus the chef and staff are sooo nice. Happy 1st Birthday Spring!

John Talbott

We were very disappointed to learn that Spring will be closed in two weeks during our visit. Our friends in NYC tried to give us a dinner here as a wedding present, but it appears the restaurant will not be open while we are in town. We were very much looking forward to trying the food, but cest la vie. Anyone know why it will be closed?

We were very disappointed to learn that Spring will be closed in two weeks during our visit. Our friends in NYC tried to give us a dinner here as a wedding present, but it appears the restaurant will not be open while we are in town. We were very much looking forward to trying the food, but cest la vie. Anyone know why it will be closed?

Daniel said he'd be shut something like Dec 22 - Jan 4 (I could have mis-remembered) but otherwise when I talked about November and January dates, he sounded cool. Call him, don't email, he'll tell you. I have no idea if and when and why he might be closed otherwise (he does need to fix his hole in the kitchen floor, but I think he's figured that out).

John Talbott

Daniel said he'd be shut something like Dec 22 - Jan 4 (I could have mis-remembered) but otherwise when I talked about November and January dates, he sounded cool.  Call him, don't email, he'll tell you.  I have no idea if and when and why he might be closed otherwise (he does need to fix his hole in the kitchen floor, but I think he's figured that out).

Hmmm. My friends did call a few times and spoke to them and were told Spring will be closed, at least the week of 10/29... strange.

• 2 months later...
Head's up: Spring will be closed March, maybe til mid-April while Daniel takes a well-deserved break.

What would you recommend as the best way to get a reservation for dinner at Spring in early May? I know they've been booked months in advance and if they're closing in March/April should I call at the end of February to try to book for May?

Head's up: Spring will be closed March, maybe til mid-April while Daniel takes a well-deserved break.

What would you recommend as the best way to get a reservation for dinner at Spring in early May? I know they've been booked months in advance and if they're closing in March/April should I call at the end of February to try to book for May?

Wow, I don't know. I usually call a few weeks ahead FOR LUNCH (except for one night when I booked the place for 16 of us) and negotiate dates. He's a terrific guy, a genius as a chef, as I said to him today he's "the son I never had," but, he's only got 16 seats (17 if he cheats) and that's it; no bar, no terrace, no back-yard (well, he does, but you wouldn't want to sit out on the ground out there), no expandable tables. So call frequently and see. TMK, he's not booking now beyond March. I could be wrong. But you simply cannot go wrong here; our Jerusalem artichoke soup/puree with Colvert bits on top (with a true piece of shot inside - don't tell my dentist), half-cooked dorade with was it three accompaniments?, and dense chocolate et al; was/were incredible. Plus the customers, at least one of whom were eG members, and journalists, who flock in between services, apparently, regularly, add a lot of excitement to the scene. Try, try, try.

Disclosure a la the rules: We got 2 glasses of Chardonnay "offert". But the rest was paid in full and oy*, does it hurt.

*Edited to add that the oy was for the dollar/Euro exchange rate that day not the price of the meal.

Edited by John Talbott (log)

John Talbott

....Plus the customers, at least one of whom were eG members, and journalists, who flock in between services, apparently, regularly, add a lot of excitement to the scene....

Er, and I say this with a :biggrin:, one of our favorite things about Spring, besides Daniel's inspired plates, is that the customers are close to invisible, for the most part contained, sound level is moderate. One, verily, two or three can have a good conversation at table, something that is getting almost as rare in Paris as it is in the US.

eGullet member #80.

....Plus the customers, at least one of whom were eG members, and journalists, who flock in between services, apparently, regularly, add a lot of excitement to the scene....

Er, and I say this with a :biggrin:, one of our favorite things about Spring, besides Daniel's inspired plates, is that the customers are close to invisible, for the most part contained, sound level is moderate. One, verily, two or three can have a good conversation at table, something that is getting almost as rare in Paris as it is in the US.

Perhaps my sentence structure was imprecise. I did not mean to say that customers are disruptive, but that often Spring welcomes journalists and others (eg buying Daniel's labelled champagne) before and after meals, and that at least three times, people at adjacent tables have struck up discrete conversations.

John Talbott

Wow, I don't know.  I usually call a few weeks ahead FOR LUNCH (except for one night when I booked the place for 16 of us) and negotiate dates.  He's a terrific guy, a genius as a chef, as I said to him today he's "the son I never had," but, he's only got 16 seats (17 if he cheats) and that's it; no bar, no terrace, no back-yard (well, he does, but you wouldn't want to sit out on the ground out there), no expandable tables.  So call frequently and see.  TMK, he's not booking now beyond March.  I could be wrong.  But you simply cannot go wrong here; our Jerusalem artichoke soup/puree with Colvert bits on top (with a true piece of shot inside - don't tell my dentist), half-cooked dorade with was it three accompaniments?, and dense chocolate et al; was/were incredible.  Plus the customers, at least one of whom were eG members, and journalists, who flock in between services, apparently, regularly, add a lot of excitement to the scene.  Try, try, try.

Disclosure a la the rules: We got 2 glasses of Chardonnay "offert".  But the rest was paid in full and oy*, does it hurt.

*Edited to add that the oy was for the dollar/Euro exchange rate that day not the price of the meal.

I guess I'll try calling near the end of February and see if he'll book for May and if not we'll try for lunch and I'll call mid-April and hope he's back! Spring is a "must try" for me and I won't be back in Paris again for who knows how long!

• 3 weeks later...

Hello EGullet!

I haven't looked at the forum in sometime and I'm glad to see that the customers are satisfied! I don't know what it is like to have to try to call SPRING for a reservation and never be able to get a table... The idea of a restaurant that is full all the time is a nice one, but fully booked ALL the time is really good for no one. When I find a solution, i'll let you all in on it first.

As for vacations- The restaurant was closed most of the week of October 29 (we did a special dinner in Dijon) and December 22 to January 3. I spent some time off my feet and didn't cook anything for nearly 2 weeks! I'm not sure I recovered from much and so I made the decision to take a longer vacation beginning March 1 and ending whenever it is done. This time, however, i'll be cooking. With the help of a journalist from Tokyo, I have found a stage in Kyoto at an ultra-traditional restaurant. I'll let you know where exactly, as soon it is confirmed.

I admire chefs who can go all year round, no vacations, 6 days a week, etc. I created Spring with a built in safety net for sanity. The thing doesn't cost that much to close down... Neither in lost revenue nor in fixed costs like rent and co. In total number of days, I take about as many days off as your average frenchmen. Don't forget that although the restaurant is not open 7 days a week, there are at least 6 days of work per week to keep it running, clean, pay the bills, receive deliveries and etc.

Somone thought I would be closed for 4 months.... but it will be more like four or five weeks.

In order to keep SPRING interesting for me and you, these breaks are essential. For many reasons, the thing can't go on forever, but I can try to keep it fresh and interesting for as long as possible.

Off to Japan to relax, to change the pace, to learn some new tricks, to eat...

The details of a book deal will also be negotiatied during this time, most likely through an agent and editor in London. 365 days of SPRING... a working title.

Spring will probably reopen sometime mid April. I will start taking reservations as soon as I am ready to reopen. I'll try to leave a fixed date on the answering machine or on the blog.

For the moment, lunches on Thursdays and Fridays are frequently available until a few days before.

No plans to expand or change location for the moment. I always have a gazillion ideas- I said 'plans'. I am hoping to expand the wine list and maybe the number of hands in the kitchen to help me out.

Looking forward to seeing you all soon.

-Daniel Rose

Wow, I don't know. I usually call a few weeks ahead FOR LUNCH (except for one night when I booked the place for 16 of us) and negotiate dates. He's a terrific guy, a genius as a chef, as I said to him today he's "the son I never had," but, he's only got 16 seats (17 if he cheats) and that's it; no bar, no terrace, no back-yard (well, he does, but you wouldn't want to sit out on the ground out there), no expandable tables. So call frequently and see. TMK, he's not booking now beyond March. I could be wrong. But you simply cannot go wrong here; our Jerusalem artichoke soup/puree with Colvert bits on top (with a true piece of shot inside - don't tell my dentist), half-cooked dorade with was it three accompaniments?, and dense chocolate et al; was/were incredible. Plus the customers, at least one of whom were eG members, and journalists, who flock in between services, apparently, regularly, add a lot of excitement to the scene. Try, try, try.

Disclosure a la the rules: We got 2 glasses of Chardonnay "offert". But the rest was paid in full and oy*, does it hurt.

Daniel.Spending a few weeks in Japan sounds like a good idea and hopefully we will see its influence when you come back.

Also don't forget that the public is fickle.today's hero can very easily be forgotten.SO if you stay away too long it may become very easy to make a reservation.ACtually I beleive you have a shot for a mIchelin star .specially if you come up with new creative dishes.

Bonne chance and don't forget to eat in Kyoto