• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Butter Tarts- gooey and sinful

ksaw29

To me, it's basically a pecan pie without the pecans.

And no 'southern accent', n'est ce pas? It's a Canadian specialty.

"Under the dusty almond trees, ... stalls were set up which sold banana liquor, rolls, blood puddings, chopped fried meat, meat pies, sausage, yucca breads, crullers, buns, corn breads, puff pastes, longanizas, tripes, coconut nougats, rum toddies, along with all sorts of trifles, gewgaws, trinkets, and knickknacks, and cockfights and lottery tickets."

-- Gabriel Garcia Marquez, 1962 "Big Mama's Funeral"

Mine, almond-raisin.  Kind of thinking of other stuff to put into this delightful tart, so let em rip.....

Here's one I had a season of making last winter Ecclefechan Tart

Funnily enough I was substituting almonds for the walnuts. Haven't made it since then, but it's dead easy... and it's good. However I'd always considered it an Ecclefechan Tart (and a Border Tart is similar) - we didn't have the term 'butter tart' when I grew up. "Butter Tarts" are a strong Canadian tradition, aren't they ?

Edited by Blether (log)

QUIET!  People are trying to pontificate.

Here's a previous discussion of Butter Tarts

Anna Nielsen aka "Anna N"

...I just let people know about something I made for supper that they might enjoy, too. That's all it is. (Nigel Slater)

"Cooking is about doing the best with what you have . . . and succeeding." John Thorne

Our 2012 (Kerry Beal and me) Blog

My 2004 eG Blog

I have to say, Anna N, of all the provacative and amusing avatars on this board, yours is by far the most provacative and amusing. I see your words as a speaking bubble coming from the photo, like in cartoons.

Thank you all for inserting butter tarts into my conscience today. When I woke up this morning, I'd never heard of a butter tart. Now I understand something about them, I have several recipes, I've pressed a friend into sending me a bottle of Canadian corn syrup, and I'm ruminating on the big question of goopy tarts.

What a wonderful world.

So . . . goopy tarts. Pecan pie. Shoofly pie. Butter tarts. Chess pie. Jefferson Davis pie. Essentially all pie crust with a filling of gelatinous goo sometimes interrupted with nuts or raisins.

Right or wrong?

I like to bake nice things. And then I eat them. Then I can bake some more.