• Welcome to the eG Forums, a service of the eGullet Society for Culinary Arts & Letters. The Society is a 501(c)3 not-for-profit organization dedicated to the advancement of the culinary arts. These advertising-free forums are provided free of charge through donations from Society members. Anyone may read the forums, but to post you must create a free account.

Chinese New Year

judsg

I've been dying to do Chinese New Year for ages, but it's almost always on the same weekend that I've booked up for friends' birthdays or conventions. :-(

China 46 is doing something; I was there last weekend but didn't take much note other than I saw a sign in the window.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

China 46 has a great menu + the lion/dancers and drummers...and the yummiest soup dumplings!!

Here's the thread on (I think) last year's event...I know there are others on here from previous years as well.

"I'm not eating it...my tongue is just looking at it!" --My then-3.5 year-old niece, who was NOT eating a piece of gum

"Wow--this is a fancy restaurant! They keep bringing us more water and we didn't even ask for it!" --My 5.75 year-old niece, about Bread Bar

"He's jumped the flounder, as you might say."

Curlz, beware: their soup dumplings were pretty bad this past Sunday. Wrappers were too thick, filling wasn't very flavorful, and the broth had mostly leaked out and was a very different recipe. I think I'd not recommend it on the soup dumplings alone since everything else was nice and tasty.

They did have posters of lion dancers and stuff, so C46 looks like the real deal. I believe Chinatown in NYC does something annually as well.

"Part of the secret of success in life is to eat what you like and let the food fight it out inside" -Mark Twain

"Video games are bad for you? That's what they said about rock 'n roll." -Shigeru Miyamoto, creator of The Legend of Zelda, circa 1990

What should I order at King's Village other than the lamb sticks?  Are the soupy buns like soup dumplings?

They'll have a special dumpling menu for Chinese New Year.

No, they're not really like soup dumplings, for those, head down the road a mile or two and go to Shanghai Park.

Shanghai Park? Details! Do they do a dim sum or is it just off the menu? Location?

Shanghai Park is real Shanghai style, for dim sum in the authentic (Hong Kong) sense, you'll need to head north to the Wonder Seafood Restaurant in Edison.

Shanghai Park is in downtown Highland Park and at one time, was legendary for its soup dumplings. It's been a couple of years since I've been there so I have no idea if they still live up to their reputation.

Grand Shanghai on Route 1 in Edison also has a serious Shanghai menu including dumplings and could be worth trying.

The Edison/South Plainfield/Highland Park area is filled with ambitious Chinese restaurants but their quality can really vary over time. Sadly, there is no way I can eat at all of them regularly, although I certainly try.

I've not been to Shanghai Park so I can't comment, but I used to go to Grand Shanghai. However, when the ownership (management?) changed hands, I found their food went downhill. It's ok, but certainly not as tasty as before. As a result, I have not returned for the past year or so.

As an attempt to get back on topic, how do the styles of food differ on new year's between northern and southern (such as Hong Kong) styles? I've only ever experienced Hong Kong style. I would be surprised if northern style were just special dumplings (as with the offering from King's Village mentioned above). In which case, does anyone know of a northern style restaurant offering "traditional" new year's food? Dim Sum Dynasty in Ridgewood has some special set menus to choose for new year's.

Went to King's Village for a light lunch. No special dumpling menu at lunch. I had the lamb sticks, steamed lamb dumplings and soupy buns. Soupy buns were just good but the two lamb dishes were very good. I enjoy that most of the steamed dumplings have lots of juices inside. Gf had some sort of pork and noodle dish as she is more of a plain eater. I see so many good looking entrees that I never get to try because I don't have a group. This would be a good place for a weekend lunch meeting.

I had the steamed crab buns at Shanghai Park last thursday along with the 3 ingredient dumplings from King's Village. Both were unbeleivably good and both were inhaled rather quicly.

I've finally learned to call ahead enough in advance that I don't burn my mouth with the Shanghai buns. They warn me every time to wait. Everytime I know I should wait. Everytime I don't wait. I bite into one, parboil my mouth with liquid lava broth, chide myself for being stupid and then immediately put another in my mouth and do it all over again.

I had the steamed crab buns at Shanghai Park last thursday along with the 3 ingredient dumplings from King's Village.  Both were unbeleivably good and both were inhaled rather quicly.

I've finally learned to call ahead enough in advance that I don't burn my mouth with the Shanghai buns.  They warn me every time to wait.  Everytime I know I should wait.  Everytime I don't wait.  I bite into one, parboil my mouth with liquid lava broth, chide myself for being stupid and then immediately put another in my mouth and do it all over again.

What are the three ingredients? Usually get the fried pork buns but they were out. Sounds like I should have went for the 3 ingredient dumplings voer the soupy dumplings.

I/we (family) did Hunan Cottage (Fairfield) last night. No dragon, no tiger - but great food. Packed, bit of a wait...

Their Peking Duck is dreamy (always on menu) but as far as specials go, had a short ribs with bamboo dish served on bok choy.

HC is my NJ chinese fav; consistant and high quality (thanks for tip Rose).

~waves

"When you look at the face of the bear, you see the monumental indifference of nature. . . . You see a half-disguised interest in just one thing: food."

Werner Herzog; NPR interview about his documentary "Grizzly Man"...

We went on Sunday night...ordered off of the special New Year menu.

Starters

Rainbow Salad: tofu, carrots, seaweed, lotus roots, pine nuts, soybean sprouts and black mushrooms

Surf and Turf Soup: abalone, shredded pork and mustard greens

Mains

Mandarine Braised Duck: half duck, scallion, tangerine, ginger, and steamed buns

Sizzling Lotus Pork Deluxe: pork loin, chinese sausage, celery and lotus roots.

Desserts

Mango Ice Cream-Filled Mochi

Traditional Chinese Rice Cake

Everything was excellent as usual.

They are serving the special menu from February 17th thru February 27th. There are several other choices for the prix fixe menu and I will try to include them later.

Starters

Rainbow Salad:  tofu, carrots, seaweed, lotus roots, pine nuts, soybean sprouts and black mushrooms

Surf and Turf Soup:  abalone, shredded pork and mustard greens

Mains

Mandarine Braised Duck:  half duck, scallion, tangerine, ginger, and steamed buns

Sizzling Lotus Pork Deluxe:  pork loin, chinese sausage, celery and lotus roots.

Desserts

They are serving the special menu from February 17th thru February 27th.  There are several other choices for the prix fixe menu and I will try to include them later.

Went where??

I had ... the 3 ingredient dumplings from King's Village. 

What are the three ingredients?

Pork. vegetables, and shrimp.

They also had special dumplings for the New Year. An order had two green Spinach dumplings stuffed with mushrooms and bean noodles, two orange yellow pumpkin dumplings with shrimp filling, and I forgot the third but it was white and I beleive stuffed with pork.

Edited by titmfatied (log)

Starters

Rainbow Salad:  tofu, carrots, seaweed, lotus roots, pine nuts, soybean sprouts and black mushrooms

Surf and Turf Soup:  abalone, shredded pork and mustard greens

Mains

Mandarine Braised Duck:  half duck, scallion, tangerine, ginger, and steamed buns

Sizzling Lotus Pork Deluxe:  pork loin, chinese sausage, celery and lotus roots.

Desserts

They are serving the special menu from February 17th thru February 27th.  There are several other choices for the prix fixe menu and I will try to include them later.

Went where??

Ooops...sorry...was in a rush when I typed this...we went to Lotus Cafe in Hackensack.

Where is Hunan Cottage located in Fairfield? Say, in relationship to Rte 46. I am desperate for decent Chinese in this area. Can't wait. Thanks.

I/we (family) did Hunan Cottage (Fairfield) last night.  No dragon, no tiger - but great food.  Packed, bit of a wait...

Their Peking Duck is dreamy (always on menu) but as far as specials go, had a short ribs with bamboo dish served on bok choy.

HC is my NJ chinese fav; consistant and high quality (thanks for tip Rose).

I just returned from Chinese New Year at china 46. Very, very good! We had the braised pork belly and the chicken with treasures. The dragon was fun. Worth the visit.

Picnic Chef,

Was there a special menu for New Years? Thinking of going Sunday afternoon for lunch.